Tea and coffee

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Tea and coffee

Postby Buff a low Bill » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Maxwell House wrote:Combination of a number of things I imagine.

Not so much to piss off the Brits as it was taxation (first) scarcity (second) and the introduction to coffee from their French allies(third) far less finicky to make (fourth) as the leading reasons, though the list has more that could be added.

Tea leaves, boiling water, teapot.

It's not fucking rocket science. Although I agree that the average Septic might find it challenging.
Buff a low Bill

Postby Australian Dawn NLI » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:36 pm

I'm too addicted to coffee these days to enjoy a nice cuppa Rosie. :(
Australian Dawn NLI

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:34 pm

Buff a low Bill wrote:Tea leaves, boiling water, teapot.

Guest wrote:Stick a fucking teabag in a cup and pour boiling water over it. What’s so hard about that?

It's clearly more difficult than you thought - boiling water in your tea? Tut tut tut...
You should never use boiling water in your tea.
That's where you've been going wrong and just proves the point - you Americans can't make a decent cup of tea.

Postby rebelyell2006 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:36 pm

Boiling water is perfectly fine for peppermint tea. Maybe you've been on that inbred island for too long?
rebelyell2006

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Ah, Frothers, where any subject whatsoever can be depended upon to quickly descend to xenophobic mudslinging. :D

Reverting to points raised earlier, there wasn't a scarcity, but a glut of tea: tons were piling up in London warehouses. The East India Company's financial troubles weren't due solely to that, but the Tea Act was aimed at bailing them out.

In the event, there was a renewal of the boycotting strategy in the Colonies, which had been dropped after the rescinding of the various Townsend Acts. This time, it was in response to the Tea Act. I've seen broadsides from the time portraying tea-drinking as "treasonous" activity. John Adams considered it so. The boycott lasted through the Revolution, during which coffee gained a permanent foothold as a substitute.

Of course, coffee has had a checkered history, too, and there's been extensive research on the role of coffeehouses in the Enlightenment: the French Revolution could be said to have begun in the coffeehouses.

Ambivalent attitudes about coffee can be seen in 18th century Germany: Bach wrote a cantata in its praise, but I remember reading of the police "coffee-sniffers" later in the century. Some more about that here:

http://www.web-books.com/Classics/ON/B0 ... MB701.html

And here's Bach's "Coffee Cantata", if you want to give a listen (and look):

https://youtu.be/nifUBDgPhl4

Sorry for the interruption; now back to "Limeys and Septics".
Voice From Limbo

Postby Macunaima nli » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:26 pm

JJCH nli wrote:I suspect Oolong was actually coined by someone at Lipton. ‘Ooh, long bloody time for this tea to steep!’

Wiki suggests Oolong is an English corruption of a Chinese term for ‘black dragon tea’. Russian Caravan/Earl Grey fan myself, bergamot goes well with nicotine. Gunpowder green for an occasional change.

I’m glad potable tea is now available in Brazil. Not long ago it was a choice of the occasional Twinings bag or the truly execrable Dr Oetker, a company whose various works in the culinary sphere can best be described as diabolical. Sadly the niche market of decent beverages in Brazil also extends to coffee, which I drink with far greater regularity. It used to both amuse and somewhat irritate me that I would need to take my own tea and coffee when visiting. After a fortnight or so it was goodbye coffee, hello Pilão!

While you CAN get decent teas here, they cost an arm and a leg, which is why I buy most of mine when I travel.
Macunaima nli

Postby Macunaima nli » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:28 pm

rebelyell2006 wrote:Boiling water is perfectly fine for peppermint tea. Maybe you've been on that inbred island for too long?

Peppermint is not a tea. It is a tisane.
Macunaima nli

Postby JJCH nli » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:28 pm

rebelyell2006 wrote:I'm fine with a cup of instant or anything from a truck stop, but I know more tea drinkers than coffee drinkers. And the bulk of the coffee drinkers I know are retired navy, who will drink any dark sludge as long as it has caffeine. Do people in Europe treat coffee as something beyond a simple vehicle for necessary caffeine intake?

Yes, they do and not just Europe. Actually you can argue people have gone too far here and fetishised the whole coffee thing. Coffee is without doubt the number one drink in Oz, bigger than beer. Funnily enough twenty, thirty years ago you would have marked Australia as a tea drinking country but no more, the Italians have won.

If it makes you feel better, the shit coffee experience extends throughout your hemisphere, despite it being the origin of most of the raw material. Presumably, with the great Italian post-war migration, Australia got all the ones who could make coffee while Argentina and the US got the ones without a piss pot, let alone a coffee pot.
JJCH nli

Postby Condottiero » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:24 am

Coffee Houses in Colonial Boston
Tea in London was first announced via a coffee house advertisement in the September 2, 1658 edition of The Gazette, a London weekly news pamphlet of seven pages, the first four of which declared the momentous death of Oliver Cromwell.

That Excellent, and by all Physitians approved, China Drink called by the Chineans, Tcha, by other Nations Tay alais [sic] Tee, is sold at the Sultaness-head, a Cophee-house in Sweetings Rents, by the Royal Exchange, London.

Chapter XII: INTRODUCTION OF COFFEE INTO NORTH AMERICA
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby gustav » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:16 am

Reb
Totes agree with JJCH about the fetish thingo here in Oz but OTOH once you are used to a decent coffee on a regular basis it is hard to go back to perked sludge or a "nice" cup of instant ..... "International Roast" *shudder*
Even pods are better.

However being a Pom I am also still partial to a decent cuppa of rosie. Another ex-pom friend of mine really winds up the locals by never drinking their tea as he maintains they can never make it properly ... 0;)

btb
I always find it amusing that the Boston Tea Party was (if I remember correctly) about the removal of taxation on tea - something most Seppos are blissfully unaware of, as opposed to the old canard "No Taxation without Representation". Mind you the reasons for not allowing the 13 Colonies to have a few MP's in London is beyond me. Make one wonder what would have been the result if that did happen. Might have saved the world an awful lot of bother :mrgreen:
gustav

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot