Anyone got advice about US style UK heroes?

All thats fit to print and plenty thats not from the world of comic frotherdom...

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Anyone got advice about US style UK heroes?

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:38 am

Here's an interesting British Mandrake type who fought the Nazis, he'd make a nice change from the usual strongmen, I just hope this is actually what he usually wore and that I can find a better picture of him wearing it.

https://britishcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Thunder_Boult

There is a quite impressive example of him in action here, not in this costume unfortunately. (his is the bottom story)

http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2016/12 ... s-cap.html
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:09 pm

I was looking into converting a figure of Garth for my Brit team, a time traveller would seem a must for a Brit Team and this guy seemed to fit the bill, but Shadowking has already done a better version of him than I could ever do ( :( )on his blog here:
http://shadowking-shadowkings.BlogSpot. ... ficer.html
I'm not familiar with Garth but that looks a lot like him to me, I spent ages trying to track down a fig with hair like that too (I thought a not-Flash Gordon was my best bet but this guy found a real winner! :cuss: )

Although I did find this in my travels
Which might make a good version of this rather unflatteringly costumed character (the middle guy, played by Bud Tingwell I think, the Mini's resemblance to Bud struck me as soon as I saw it) from an Australian kids show I want to make a conversion of for eventually, so not a complete waste of time as long as I can find a hat.
Finding miniatures for the child heroes of this show is going to be a pain though, there just don't seem to be enough child minis out there considering how prominent child characters are in popular culture, genre fiction especially.
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:03 am

So instead of Garth I was thinking of trying to find a figure to represent Adam Eterno, seen here covered in rats.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/e/eterno.htm
I don't think he usually accessorises with rodents but the distressed look seems to be his thing, so I need an old dude, long hair, in ragged clothes and cape. Anyone have any ideas of minis that fit that bill?

I've looked at peasants, wizards, pirates even, but I can't find anything, the age, the fact he's clean shaven with long hair, has all his limbs and isn't loaded down with wizardly paraphernalia rules out anything I can find.
Maybe a fantasy Ranger, maybe even an elf, might be the way to go, Rangers are a bit scrubby looking, not as ragged as this guy but if it had a cloak with the hood down I could perhaps shave it off for a cape, and a clean shaven, long haired elf is probably the stereotype.

I spend most of my time looking for figs for this super team looking at fantasy ranges (or perhaps I should say Rangers!)

So before I invest too heavily in a super team of poncy elves and Aragorn Knock-offs, does anyone know of a mini that could pass as Adam Eterno?

Thanks.
Australian Dawn

Postby Jakar Nilson » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Australian Dawn wrote:So instead of Garth I was thinking of trying to find a figure to represent Adam Eterno, seen here covered in rats.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/e/eterno.htm
I don't think he usually accessorises with rodents but the distressed look seems to be his thing, so I need an old dude, long hair, in ragged clothes and cape. Anyone have any ideas of minis that fit that bill?

I've looked at peasants, wizards, pirates even, but I can't find anything, the age, the fact he's clean shaven with long hair, has all his limbs and isn't loaded down with wizardly paraphernalia rules out anything I can find.
Maybe a fantasy Ranger, maybe even an elf, might be the way to go, Rangers are a bit scrubby looking, not as ragged as this guy but if it had a cloak with the hood down I could perhaps shave it off for a cape, and a clean shaven, long haired elf is probably the stereotype.

I spend most of my time looking for figs for this super team looking at fantasy ranges (or perhaps I should say Rangers!)

So before I invest too heavily in a super team of poncy elves and Aragorn Knock-offs, does anyone know of a mini that could pass as Adam Eterno?

Thanks.

The copies I have of Lion (including a late 70s annual) have Adam Eterno with a much more heroic physique, yet with the same costume and slight wrinkles. Very much looking like a gloomy He-Man in shabby clothes always bumping into anything golden after taking three steps.
"There are those that claim that war is all glory, but I can tell you it is all hell." -William Tecumseh Sherman

http://dp9forum.com/aurora/ Read Alfie's Tenners, every second month in Aurora magazine!
Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:59 am

Thanks.
It's often difficult to figure out what the standard look for some of these characters is just from some random images on the internet, so some first hand reader knowledge is appreciated. :beer:
Australian Dawn

Postby Bronshtein » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:02 am

I apologise for abandoning my search for a crackle finished ice man but the gloop I was looking for has been discontinued
Bloody typical.
I'll think of another way of buggering up some perfectly good figures.
Bronshtein

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:33 am

No need to apologise, it was a great idea and I appreciate the effort you've gone to.
Australian Dawn

Anyone got advice about US style UK heroes

Postby HenrymeF » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Hi,
as above really, anyone got a ducati monster, not the new shape?
Not looking to change just wanting some help.
Thanks

Mark
HenrymeF

Anyone got advice about US style UK heroes

Postby bennieGrara » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:58 pm

change her name to Australian Sun and problem solved.

But Dawn, I am a 20th Century fellah, you want to be a man, thats up to you. Maybe stop acting like such a girl all the time though, eh?
bennieGrara

Postby Voice From Limbo » Tue May 28, 2019 4:28 pm

:roll:

OK, not British and not 40's :oops:, but is there any way you could incorporate these guys?

https://youtu.be/7j6OI9TxqzI

You gotta admit, those are definite superhero costumes! :D
Voice From Limbo

PreviousNext

Return to Comics Emporium