Aquaman

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Aquaman

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkg3h8PCVU

This is looking better and better to me, I bet Marvel are kicking themselves for not introducing Namor in their cinematic universe long before DC got an Aquaman movie made so they could be assured of a slice of the merman hero pie, but then DC probably deserves a win now and then.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Re: Aquaman

Postby goddessamy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:23 pm

Thanks for sharing, I saw aquaman in my dream like before the actual movie came out. Do you know if i can get it on like net flix?
Im lalala in dream land :D
goddessamy

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:19 pm

The pitch meeting:

https://youtu.be/LKiB1w6Fm7U

Sorry. I can't help myself. :oops:
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:22 pm

As a gamer I sort of wish this movie had been made for some fantasy/Sci-fi hero other than Aqua-man, as it seemed very war gamey in some ways, visually distinct factions battling it out, each with unique vehicles and monsters, I imagine it would have a big impact on gaming if it wasn't set underwater.
The factions were a bit too distinct for believability though, I didn't get any sense these peoples were descended from the same civilisation or even species, a few common attributes, culture, tech or shared weapons and war machines between all the groups, or obvious co-mingling of the races would have gone a long way to making this supposedly common origin slightly less ridiculous, and make the villain's plan seem at least a bit more achievable.

And the amount of gratuitous violence done to each group seemed to depend on how human they looked (the poor Brine! :cry:)

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick but the timescale seemed a little.... dodgy.
When exactly was the Sahara an inland sea? Because apparently Sicilian sculptors and landscapers were doing very specific and exact work to Atlantian order at the time, presumably for people who predated the sinking of Atlantis, and their work lasted, apparently unaltered in any significant way, down to today. :dodgy:

I thought it was very Marvel-ish. Very much like a cross between Thor and Black Panther. Good, but not great.
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:08 pm

As a gamer, I wish a whole lot of movies were made differently. :D

I've seen underwater games being played -- Thunderball, for instance -- and the players certainly appeared to be having fun. I don't imagine it takes much more suspension of disbelief than our "normal" games.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:21 pm

I'm sure wargames set underwater could be fun, It's more that if the forces were ground based I think we might see more people base the design of their figures off them, and that have a knock on effect on rules etc, but as they wouldn't easily be used with popular Sci-Fi/fantasy forces I think we'll see less of that. :(
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn NLI » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:21 am

I also think they tried to shoehorn too much into the one show. A lot of the ideas they used deserved a lot more development and screen time if they were to be used IMHO, or even a movie based mainly around those ideas.
(spoilers if you haven't watched it)
For example the whole lost world at the center of the earth bit seemed to come out of nowhere and go nowhere, an idea like that deserves a bit more development and screen time IMHO. And if they are going to develop that area in another show this introduction was a bit lame IMHO.
I also wish the kraken was a bit less generic kaiju and more Harryhausen (the obvious inspiration), or just a giant squid or something, but that's just personal preference.

The show also had less humour than I expected, maybe they thought Aqua-man's personality was humorous enough, but he seemed like a pretty straight forward everyman character to me, good but no saint, reasonable but not a genius, pretty much what I'd expect of a lighthouse keeper's son, which is good, but maybe a few humorous fish out of water (half-fish in water? you know what I mean) moments when he got to Atlantis would have livened things up.

It amused me that the QLD gov thinks this will bring tourists to the Gold Coast, I think the Sahara will do better out of this than we will, and Sicily, and NZ... :lol:
Australian Dawn NLI

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:26 pm

You know what I mean

Well, no, actually -- I have to confess to not having seen it yet :( (though I'm sure I'll pick up the DVD at some point).

The billion dollar gross, over the maybe 200 mil budget, guarantees at least one sequel.

Which bodes well for some miniatures, I'd think. Thunderball gamers had to wait 25 years, but these days, I'll be very surprised if we don't soon see NotAquaman and related figs.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn NLI » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Yeah, I should probably stop complaining. We live in a golden age for miniatures.
The problem is the more you get, the more you want! :froth:
Australian Dawn NLI

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Groan. . .tell me about it. :cry:
Voice From Limbo

Return to Movie Zone