ASL?

Proper frother gaming in its purest form, without the stupid miniatures. Prepare to receive Boarders!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: ASL?

Postby Passer by » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Kes wrote:I bought Squad Leader a long time ago from Toys'R'Us. Do I do a nostalgia trip
and buy it second hand from fleabay or buy a new shiny ASL Starter Set #1?
Is ASL that much more complicated? What's missing from the Starter Set that's in SL?

I haven't played SL but I'd say the starter kits aren't super complicated and there's something nice about a shiny, new, shrink wrapped game.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby ork56 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:45 am

Bit of a necro, but we found the ASL starter1 to be great fun and to us, a good representation of battle.
One tip if you have access to colour printing and poss a laminator, try and print the maps at double scale, it helps a lot with counter placement especially when you get to close combat. LOS is not affected if you size both halves of the map properly (laminating holds them together permanently to help this) also a line laser is a great update from the length of cotton supplied in the game!
ork56

Postby DemonEtrigan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:25 am

Where did you get your line laser from!!! I've been looking for one at a reasonable price
DemonEtrigan

Postby Kes » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:47 pm

ork56 wrote:Bit of a necro, but we found the ASL starter1 to be great fun and to us, a good representation of battle.
One tip if you have access to colour printing and poss a laminator, try and print the maps at double scale, it helps a lot with counter placement especially when you get to close combat. LOS is not affected if you size both halves of the map properly (laminating holds them together permanently to help this) also a line laser is a great update from the length of cotton supplied in the game!

Cheers - off to Sittingbourne on Sunday so I'll have a look and see if anyone's selling it there, otherwise it might go as a Father's Day request :)
Kes

Postby DemonEtrigan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:09 am

Alternatively if you are looking for some fast, fun WWII action more in line with movies like the dirty dozen, kellys heroes or the longest day you could try Heroes of Normandie which is bloody brilliant.
DemonEtrigan

Postby Hastati » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:00 pm

DemonEtrigan wrote:Alternatively if you are looking for some fast, fun WWII action more in line with movies like the dirty dozen, kellys heroes or the longest day you could try Heroes of Normandie which is bloody brilliant.

+1, HoN is a great game.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby AllenW » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Great game. I was vacationing on the east coast when the game was released and drove to the AH headquarters in Baltimore just to buy a copy. Have all the old stuff but never bought any of MMPs ASL reprints. Last played around Christmas. I have been going to convert the game to miniatures ever since that first buy in Baltimore but never got around to it. The last play may have convinced me. My eyesight is not what it used to be and the print on the counters is rather small.
AllenW

Postby ork56 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:25 am

DemonEtrigan wrote:Where did you get your line laser from!!! I've been looking for one at a reasonable price

The army painter do two options, a pointer and a line laser, be careful which one you get. Mine was from element games fir under£5
ork56

Previous

Return to Boardgamers' Galley