Dragon's Claws

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: Dragon's Claws

Postby Inso » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:56 pm

Superhero comics are great for studying anatomy...
Have a look at my blog, it's really full of things: http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

Or, you could always learn about the world of Reptiliad: http://reptiliad.blogspot.co.uk/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/
Inso

Postby freakinacage » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Also don't forget to work from the bottom up.

Hangover twins indeed...
freakinacage

Postby freakinacage » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Also bodybuilding mags are good for anatomy
freakinacage

Postby countersunk81 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:19 pm

Because of college and commissions.
I will get to it more, but I am utilising a few bits I picked up still, and got other armatures on the way.
Carry on...
countersunk81

Postby ninja_butler » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:07 am

ubik wrote:Why arent you guys posting anything? Been experimenting with different approaches for overlapping plates, attempt on left seems too bulky. Tried a different approach on middle. Think helmet on right too small, but happy with hands.

Meh, it's the same on any miniature sculpting sub-forum on any website. Not enough people sculpt for there to be anywhere as near as many contributors as you get on the painting and gaming parts of forums.

The guy on the left has become too bulky, I can see exactly where you've gone wrong because I had the same problem myself. For me the solution was to mercilessly strip the armature back as far as I needed to to get back to the point before the proportions had skewed. On my desk right here I've got a half-made armature courtesy of Kev White; I'll post a couple of photos of it tomorrow, it's a very handy reminder of how the bits are all supposed to fit together.
ninja_butler

Postby Monkeyborg » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:47 am

Inso wrote:Superhero comics are great for studying anatomy...

As are Razzle, Men Only and Parade. Check your local alleyways for availability.
Monkeyborg

Postby Inso » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:54 am

That is a good start.

Three recommendations from me would be to:

1. Coat all the wire in putty. Don't leave bits showing. It will help with rigidity when putting on further layers and will also act as a key for the next stage to stick to.

2. Get used to smoothing things together as you go. If in the future, you plan to get things cast, air pockets will cause devastation in the casting process. Try to smooth everything out and not leave any voids/airgaps. If you get used to doing it early, you won't have to adjust your sculpting style later on.

3. Sculpt symetrical items together. For example, both legs will normally be the same length and size so sculpt them both at the same time (even if they aren't posed the same). It enables you to not only get an idea of what they look like as a pair but also gives you the opportunity to adjust them both at the same time so they are the same proportions.

I know I mentioned anatomy and muscles in my earlier post but don't be a slave to getting all the muscles in. You have demonstrated that you know where the groups are but haven't slavishly sculpted a six pack etc... as you have shown here, blockin in the 'groups' with a general shape is more than ample for an armature.
Have a look at my blog, it's really full of things: http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

Or, you could always learn about the world of Reptiliad: http://reptiliad.blogspot.co.uk/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/
Inso

Postby ubik » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:53 am

Thanks Ninja, I took a load of photos of the other armature but they arent very good (and you took the good armature you sod!).

Thanks Inso, was hoping the other guys on the course would post. I was easily the worst sculptor on the course, so keen to see how the other guys have progressed and see what they have taken from it. The hardest thing for me is adapting real proportions to 28mm as some such as shoulders are artificially wide compared to "real scale".

Freak, dont worry I am remembering to push it in a bit harder, even if my tool is too big. Though sometimes it does get a bit sticky.

Anyone got a good technique for banded armour, like cables arm or colossus but also? Struggling to find a way to do it, as real banded armour often doesnt quite look how armour if portrayed in fiction. The two techniques im trying are too bulky.
ubik

Postby ninja_butler » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:15 pm

It was an accident, honest! I asked Kev is he wanted it back but he said I could keep it. It is rather nice though isn't it? :mrgreen:

Trust me on this; unless you've been sculpting for an hour a day every day for the last 6 years, you're not the worst, you just haven't been doing it for as long as I have. I've just spent the last 20 minutes pulling faces at another failed attempt at a female face.

To make banded armour, just keep doing what you're doing and refine your technique - maybe use half the amount and see how thin you can make it. I've got a Miniature Mentor video (Frightmare) that shows the process but the sculptor uses an odd technique - I think he added tiny little strips instead of just pressing in with a knife, I'll have to look it up.
ninja_butler

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting Workshop