Female Sculptors?

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: Female Sculptors?

Postby K. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:35 pm

Badger Loving Fluffster wrote:
K. wrote:
Badger Loving Fluffster wrote:
Annie wrote:seems odd to have a project celebrating gender diversity with all dude sculptors

Yep

Seems odd to have a project celebrating gender diversity called "Believable Female Characters" too

Yeah, because believable male characters are so hard to come by :roll: :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying a range devoted to realistic women is a bad thing, just it is not a range celebrating gender diversity. It is a range celebrating women.

As for hyper-sexualised (goat boy notwithstanding), there are plenty of minis out there with scantily clad "ideal" male specimens so don't even try to start on the whole body image / sexualising the women only bullshit - cos that's what it is :mrgreen:

I suppose if I have a point it's this: if there are loads of believable male characters out there, and this range focuses only on believable female miniatures, then it celebrates gender diversity by making things more diverse overall.

or something. :mrgreen:
K.

Postby Wargames Factory Funboy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Julie Guthrie and Sandra Garrity are proven quality, they've each got decades of sculpting experience for some of the biggest names in the business. With all due respect, I wouldn't settle for less om this project, since the market is flooding with new models already, new sculptors and, let's be honest, shitloads of mediocre miniatures that never would have been released by a serious manufacturer and probably only will sell to the sculptors' girlfriend, grandpa/grandma and a few friends at his local club. And when really lucky, his local gaming store will put up 2 or 3 blisters, just to be nice.
Remember, you invest your own money in it, and offering sculpting work to that nice man you've met on convention X or that nice wife of forum member Y who occasionally puts some paint on a model doesn't make models good enough to compete with the rest on the market. And you've read the comments on your first 4 models, they simply aren't good enough. Nothing wrong with the ideas, but the execution so far is below average, unfortunately.

Good luck with the venture and with making the right decisions :D .
Wargames Factory Funboy

Postby Vorokoth » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Victoria Lamb puts out quality stuff, too.
Vorokoth

Postby british_gamer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Duff wrote:
THE Killer Bob wrote:
OrlandotheTechnicoloured wrote:
Cindy Dukino, a Dutch sculptor.

Yes, I forgot about her. Brilliant. Where did she go?

Yeah, Cindy was starting to get really good. We lost her around the time of the "The Great Collapse" didn't we? Or was it earlier? Met her and her fella (Ming Hua?) at Salute a good while ago (the first Excel salute I think) and they were both lovely.

Ming Hua runs the Yahoo sculpting list. It has been dormant for a while, but with a listed 4000+ members it may be worth asking there too.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/1listSculpting/info
british_gamer

Previous

Return to Sculpting Workshop