Female Sculptors?

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: Female Sculptors?

Postby Annie » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Well the entire point of the project is to encourage more diversity in wargaming miniatures by adding more female representation (and most importantly, female miniatures which aren't there just to be oggled or captured) and I'm constantly crusading to get more women into the hobby, as we are obviously a minority, and there is no proper reason why. My project has already encouraged a good amount of women to get into the hobby (not just speculation, they've come up and told me at shows!), as well as my favourite - little girls, which I think is super cool. I've been into this since I was about 11, and it actually sucks when you're the only little girl into painting goblins, so there more there is, the more the ones that do are actually encouraged and not meant to feel like total weirdos.

I'm sure this is a subject relate able and close to the heart of all female gamers/hobbyists, but I'm rubbish with the name pool of sculptors as it is, so without looking specifically for those of the lady sort, I may not come across any for years. And again seen as my whole thing is about DIVERSITY, I'd like to throw some money at these women, who are a minority in the sculpting world. And before anyone trolls with it - No I wouldn't pay a bad female sculptor just because she's female, that's silly. On a purely theoretical note, I'd be interested to see if women sculpt women differently to how men sculpt women.

Not quite sure what the problem is, I want a wide range of people to work for me........it's political correctness gone maaaaaaaaad!! :sniper:

Also cheers for the suggestions, I keep meaning to email Victoria Lamb, I'll check out the others in a bit, I had a quick look at Julie Guthrie and she's sculpted some of the models I already stock, which is a great start (this is similar to when I realised that Patrick Keith has sculpted what feels like half my shop! :D )

Annie
Annie

Postby Spear » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:19 am

Seems logical to me. To have a project like this which uses only male sculptors rather defeats the object. Provided there are females of the required standard (which there are).
Spear

Postby freakinacage » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:12 am

True but it's assuming they have the time. The female sculptors are few. I don't believe there are any that are hiding behind pseudonyms - it's small hobby and people tend to know one another
freakinacage

Postby OrlandotheTechnicoloured » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:25 am

a couple more suggestions from Heisler on the reaper forum

I have two (one thanks to Gene). Jen Haley (although its been a seriously long time since I have seen her sculpt a minin) and Cindy Dukino, a Dutch sculptor. Gene isn't sure if she is actively sculpting either.
OrlandotheTechnicoloured

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Annie wrote:seems odd to have a project celebrating gender diversity with all dude sculptors

Yep

Seems odd to have a project celebrating gender diversity called "Believable Female Characters" too

Meantime, Kev. He is not a female sculptor but he is a very good female sculptor
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby THE Killer Bob » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:04 pm

OrlandotheTechnicoloured wrote:
Cindy Dukino, a Dutch sculptor.

Yes, I forgot about her. Brilliant. Where did she go?
It's happening again...
THE Killer Bob

Postby K. » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:29 pm

Badger Loving Fluffster wrote:
Annie wrote:seems odd to have a project celebrating gender diversity with all dude sculptors

Yep

Seems odd to have a project celebrating gender diversity called "Believable Female Characters" too

Yeah, because believable male characters are so hard to come by :roll: :mrgreen:

I can't remember the last time I saw a miniature of a greased-up barbarian posing sexily in nothing but a chainmail codpiece.

In fact, the only hyper-sexualised male miniature I can think of off the top of my head is this.
K.

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:10 pm

K. wrote:
Badger Loving Fluffster wrote:

Yep

Yeah, because believable male characters are so hard to come by :roll: :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying a range devoted to realistic women is a bad thing, just it is not a range celebrating gender diversity. It is a range celebrating women.

As for hyper-sexualised (goat boy notwithstanding), there are plenty of minis out there with scantily clad "ideal" male specimens so don't even try to start on the whole body image / sexualising the women only bullshit - cos that's what it is :mrgreen:
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby Duff » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:04 pm

THE Killer Bob wrote:
OrlandotheTechnicoloured wrote:
Cindy Dukino, a Dutch sculptor.

Yes, I forgot about her. Brilliant. Where did she go?

Yeah, Cindy was starting to get really good. We lost her around the time of the "The Great Collapse" didn't we? Or was it earlier? Met her and her fella (Ming Hua?) at Salute a good while ago (the first Excel salute I think) and they were both lovely.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby --- » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Concentrating on her art work, I believe. Last time I heard from them was during GoblinAid
---
Committee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting Workshop