Monstrous larvae

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: Monstrous larvae

Postby Jona » Fri May 15, 2015 1:29 pm

geronimo - Thanks! I had hoped you'd jump in with an answer. :wink:

Badger Loving Fluffster (Ben, I assume) - That's exactly the kind of response I expect from frothers (although in all honesty, perhaps a little more heavy on swearwords)! The five plates was sheer luck (i.e. an esthetic decision), as you probably guessed. You're absolutely right on the underbelly texture. I started with the image of rolls of fat in mind, but must admit I wandered off a bit while sculpting. The segmentation is something I was still in doubt about after having made the first model (the one with the mouth wide open); I tried to define the segments slightly more in the next two, in accordance with the carapace sections, but didn't want to stray too far from the first model to keep sufficient coherence throughout. All in all, I think your points are absolutely valid, and a more decisive approach both to the distinction between soft tissue and armour and to the exact nature of the underbelly tissue would certainly have benefited the models. Some more planning in advance would probably have helped; something to keep in mind for further projects.

Duff - Cheers! I'd absolutely love to see what your grubby mitts would do to them. :froth:

I really didn't expect this kind of response. What kind of number of casts should I be looking at to make a moulding/casting/selling operation more or less viable?
Jona

Postby Jona » Fri May 15, 2015 1:33 pm

Sane Max wrote:You're dead to me. Dead.

In my defence, I did look up the episode you mentioned. I'm trying, I really am!
Jona

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Fri May 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Jona wrote:Badger Loving Fluffster (Ben, I assume) - That's exactly the kind of response I expect from frothers (although in all honesty, perhaps a little more heavy on swearwords)!

You're fucking welcome. ;)
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby Clayface » Fri May 15, 2015 1:56 pm

Jona wrote:
Sane Max wrote:You're dead to me. Dead.

In my defence, I did look up the episode you mentioned. I'm trying, I really am!

apparently, several of the 'maggots' in the episode were made using inflated condoms. Surprised the old 'who' budget stretched that far. Maybe they made the most of the episode's Green agenda. 'Excuse me Jon, have you finished with that condom? Thanks awfully, sorry to interupt.'

Pat
Clayface

Postby --- » Fri May 15, 2015 2:46 pm

If Ian hasn't got time to cast 'em, drop me a line :wink:
---
Committee Member

Postby Jona » Fri May 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Ian is geronimo, right?
Jona

Postby --- » Fri May 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Yep
---
Committee Member

Postby Duff » Fri May 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Be careful, if these are a paid commissions then I think the property rights belong to the customer. It's for them to say whether they get cast and any profits are theirs unless you don't charge him/her for the sculpting and keep them for yourself.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Jona » Fri May 15, 2015 2:57 pm

Yes, absolutely. Even though it was quite a loose agreement we had, I've contacted him whether he'd prefer to get the original models for the agreed price, or (presumably) cheaper casts. It's completely up to him, so I can't make any promises yet.
Thanks for the advice, though, it's much appreciated.
Jona

Postby geronimo » Fri May 15, 2015 3:33 pm

Jona wrote:Ian is geronimo, right?

Yup. Drop me a PM if your client wants to go with casting :)

EDIT - ahh, you already did. Replied :)
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting Workshop