Monstrous larvae

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Monstrous larvae

Postby Jona » Fri May 15, 2015 9:41 am

Here's a commission I just finished, for three monstrous larvae. They will be used as Tyranid Pyrovores for Warhammer 40k. Together with the commissioner, I tried to combine his idea of larvae with the typical Tyranid soft unbelly-hard back carapace theme, while finding a way to add the required 'cannons' in a more or less organic way. As I was asked to do a series of three, I quite liked the idea of a rather harmless looking base shape, progressively opening the mouth to reveal the acid-cannon in the other two models. As always, I'd really appreciate criticism, preferably of the harsh kind. :)

More images of the separate models in this album.
Jona

Re: Monstrous larvae

Postby Bergil » Fri May 15, 2015 10:24 am

Jona wrote:I'd really appreciate criticism, preferably of the harsh kind. :)

You won't get any from me as I think they look great! Is there any chance of getting my hands on a set of these? :froth:
Bergil

Postby Jona » Fri May 15, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks, that's not exactly the kind of criticism I'm after, but equally much appreciated. :D
I didn't really consider having them cast. Would other people be interested as well? It was a private commission, but if there is interest, I could discuss it with the client, I guess.
I've never had any model cast before though, so maybe a question for more experienced sculptors like yourself: I guess I'd have to cut up the ones with their mouth open, and have their mouths cast front-back, and their bodies left-right? Or would that still pose problems for the mouth part? Or is there an easier solution?
By the way, maybe it isn't particularly clear from the pictures, but they're rather large: that's a 60mm base they're on.
Thanks again for the encouraging words!
Jona

Postby freakinacage » Fri May 15, 2015 11:14 am

Brilliant! only criticism I have is I would make the armour slightly more raised from the soft parts
freakinacage

Postby Clayface » Fri May 15, 2015 11:23 am

maybe a tiny bit longer or lower? From the wrong angle the last one could be mistaken for a turd? :D Harsh enough? :D :D

I like them - inspired by the Maggots in that old Doctor Who Ep I assume?
Clayface

Postby Jona » Fri May 15, 2015 11:43 am

freakinacage - Thanks! I aimed for a gradual shift from soft tissue to the hard carapace, with only the 'head' part having defined horizontal edges, but maybe I should have gone for a more defined split.
I understand your point though; especially on the first one, the colour shift from green to brown putty really sets them apart, and kills the idea of a smooth connection; hopefully it will come across better once painted.

Sane Max - Haha, excellent! I never looked at them like that, but now I probably always will... I'm affraid I haven't seen a single Doctor Who episode yet, so it must be coincidence. :)
Jona

Postby geronimo » Fri May 15, 2015 11:55 am

Jona wrote:Thanks, that's not exactly the kind of criticism I'm after, but equally much appreciated. :D
I didn't really consider having them cast. Would other people be interested as well? It was a private commission, but if there is interest, I could discuss it with the client, I guess.
I've never had any model cast before though, so maybe a question for more experienced sculptors like yourself: I guess I'd have to cut up the ones with their mouth open, and have their mouths cast front-back, and their bodies left-right? Or would that still pose problems for the mouth part? Or is there an easier solution?
By the way, maybe it isn't particularly clear from the pictures, but they're rather large: that's a 60mm base they're on.
Thanks again for the encouraging words!

Cast in resin? They'll be fine as they are... Nice grubs 8|
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Fri May 15, 2015 12:57 pm

Jona wrote:freakinacage - Thanks! I aimed for a gradual shift from soft tissue to the hard carapace, with only the 'head' part having defined horizontal edges, but maybe I should have gone for a more defined split.

If you want it to fit with Tyranid design? Yes. There needs to be a well defined distinction between the soft(er) tissues and the carapace. The five plates is good genre knowledge ;)

On the under belly it is unclear on the texture you are going for. It looks like you are caught between making it a hard leathery type of tube and a caterpillar like segmentation. (The shape might also better suit a soft mucous covered slug like belly, but that's another thought) Either way I think there needs to be some more definition to the segments, or slightly less definition of the non segmented creasy bits (technical term)

Having said all that, I think they are bloody lovely and if they ever go up for production then yes please
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby Duff » Fri May 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Ben makes some good points but I think they are good to go as is to be honest. I'd certainly like to get my grubby mitts on a set.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Clayface » Fri May 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Jona wrote:I'm afraid I haven't seen a single Doctor Who episode yet, so it must be coincidence. :)

You're dead to me. Dead.
Clayface

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop