They are rebooting WHAAAAAT?

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: They are rebooting WHAAAAAT?

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Duff wrote:But it has a space shit that looks like a pair of tits, how can you not like that?

Listen up, he's talking sense.
Although I am disappointed that you noted the udder-like nature of the spaceship, but didn't seem to notice the ACTUAL pair of tits on display throughout the film...

An Absent Humphrey

Postby mr tough guy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Sane Max wrote:I class Mag7 as a 'inspired by' rather than a reboot - it's different named characters in a different country using guns and speaking english. The Reboot they are planning is indeed a western. Fuck that.

BBtS I do not class as a 'remake', or a 'reboot', or a 're-imagining' - for the simple reason that my mind refuses to class it as a film at all. It's a disease, that infected some virgin film-stock and left traces of the illness all over the celluloid. They then accidentally showed it by mistake after someone said 'This needs an enema' and a newbie staffer thought they said 'cinema'

Pat

BULLSHIT next you're gonna say a Fistfull of Dollars/Django/Last Man Standing aren't remakes/reboots of Yojimbo or that Star Wars isn't a remake of the hidden Fortress, or that West Side Story isn't a remake of Romeo and Julliet, it's all the same fucking story. Setting, props and character names don't really matter
Image Image
mr tough guy

Postby Clayface » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:23 pm

mr tough guy wrote:Star Wars... a remake of the hidden Fortress

I have never trusted a man who says that. I have seen 'The Hidden Fortress'. It has about as much in common with 'Star Wars' as 'Zulu' has with 'Attack the Block'. A few fundamental (and pretty universal) themes in common does not make them the same film. 'Star Wars 'is not '633 squadron' for that matter.

Pat
Clayface

Postby Dags V2 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:25 pm

Duff wrote:space shit

Yarp
Dags V2

Postby Clayface » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:00 pm

A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:Listen up, he's talking sense.
Although I am disappointed that you noted the udder-like nature of the spaceship, but didn't seem to notice the ACTUAL pair of tits on display throughout the film...

MmMMMMM Sybil - one of those ladies who looks much sexier dressed than she does naked.
Clayface

Postby Duff » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Sane Max wrote:
mr tough guy wrote:Star Wars... a remake of the hidden Fortress

I have never trusted a man who says that. I have seen 'The Hidden Fortress'. It has about as much in common with 'Star Wars' as 'Zulu' has with 'Attack the Block'. A few fundamental (and pretty universal) themes in common does not make them the same film. 'Star Wars 'is not '633 squadron' for that matter.

Pat

Got to agree, about the only thing Lucas got from Hidden Fortress was C3PO and R2D2. And personally, I thought the inclusion of two squabbling robots in a story set in feudal Japan was a misstep by Kurasawa.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby mr tough guy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:27 am

Okay Star Wars might be stretching it a bit although I do think there's enough similarity (The basic structure of the story told by the peasants and some key charcters) that one could argue it's a remake, but the basic point I was trying to make was that a remake doesn't have to resemble the original as long as it copies the central ideas so saying magnificent 7 is not a remake of seven samurai is bullshit
Image Image
mr tough guy

Postby Clayface » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:55 am

mr tough guy wrote:Okay Star Wars might be stretching it a bit although I do think there's enough similarity (The basic structure of the story told by the peasants and some key charcters) that one could argue it's a remake, but the basic point I was trying to make was that a remake doesn't have to resemble the original as long as it copies the central ideas so saying magnificent 7 is not a remake of seven samurai is bullshit

The differences are sufficient that it stands on its own as a different film. I would have no problem watching both one after the other*, and not feel I had simply seen the same movie twice. They make several changes, amalgamating Katsushiro and Kikuchiyu into one character,There is no 'Harry Luck' character, the villagers in 'Samurai' remain loyal to the plan throughout etc etc - not just a remake.

They both have ace music too, one haunting and mainly sad, the other mostly uplifting and dramatic.

I would have no problem with a new re-imagining in which say the 7 are local semi-outcasts hired to protect the underdog against the bully.

That's not what they are planning - they are planning to reboot 'Magnificent 7', as a western, with Denzel Washington as 'Chris' (which I admit is good casting).

*provided I was allowed a lie down and a cup of tea between them
Clayface

Postby Clayface » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:59 am

Oh, and I am not a worshipper of Kurasawa at all - he does drag on. There is a scene in Throne of Blood where 'Macbethu' and 'Banqu' or whatever they are called are lost in the fog and gallop into one cloud after another. It's a handy point to go and make a brew as he will still be grimacing like a Heike Crab and galloping into and out of mist when you get back.
Clayface

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Some Magnificent 7 trivia.
Steve McQueen was well known for his oneupmanship, and in scenes he shared with Yul Bryner he would make faces and expressions that would divert attention away from Bryner and on to himself. It's not done in an acting-like-a-twat way, but in a more actorly way, but designed to draw attention away from Bryner.
This, as you can imagine, pissed off Yul Bryner.
An Absent Humphrey

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Zone