Elite Dangerous is fucking brilliant!

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Elite Dangerous is fucking brilliant!

Postby Hermit » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:00 pm

I've seen a few players knocking about. They tend to be mostly around nav beacons, vying for the best kills. Most think they're in with a chance of winning the Elite prizes that FD have on offer :roll: They're in for a long wait for that one. I've had over 300 kills so far and I'm still only on the "novice" level. But then, I don't qualify because I didn't restart after gamma.

Trading and mining are a bit of a grind, true. Exploration could be better, I reckon. They should give players the opportunity to name systems and planets. All the number string names tend to blur into one after a while and you don't know where you are. And the 20 LY limit on exploration finds is a bit annoying.

Combat and smuggling is alright though :)

So far, I've got 4 ships: Sidewinder, Eagle, Adder and Viper, but they are starting to get a bit scattered about now. FD need a decent way for players to collect them together easily in one place.
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Yes all you can do is buy a cheap ship, fly to the one you want to move, sell off the cheap one and fly back. Pain in the arse. I think with the bigger ships you can carry a small one on board. I'm probably too far out from the starting areas to see many people and I don't hang around nav beacons either. I find asteroid belts have easy picking, or just cruising at minimum FSD increasing the chances of unknown signals popping up. Keeping a ton of gold in the hold increases the chances of encounters with pirates too.
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:Doesn't matter to me if you think I am Monty Schwab. In fact, I would be proud to be Monty Schwab. He's making a difference in the world. More of us should be like him!
General Paranoia

Postby HongKongPhooey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:52 pm

I am loving the game too. Its taken me right back to my teens. Irritating my son no end as I keep jumping on his high spec gaming PC. He will be glad when the Mac version comes out and I can run it on the other computer.
I am flying a Cobra - mostly trading and exploring in Fed space but mostly working for independent systems. That plus blowing the doors off folk that interdict me. I tried hunting the big pirate Anacondas a couple of times but my ship is not tricked out enough yet. Need more firepower. I have about enough cash now to buy a focussed cargo truck and use that for trading while I tool up the Cobra
Ratings = almost harmless / trader (iirc) / scout
I've only met other players twice - but that includes the same guy twice. Wish I met more but I seem to have wandered into a quiet corner of the galaxy.
1st time was a player in another Cobra who interdicted me then "accidentally" rammed me while attempting a scan then boosted out. Said he was checking to see if I had a bounty - I didn't. Just scraped my paint but I couldn't figure out if it was bad flying or if he was trying the 'killing someone in a crash doesn't count as a crime' dodge. Came across the same guy again a little later picking on a noob player in a Sidewinder. That convinced me he was a griefer so I opened up on him. He tried a ram again which was his mistake as his shields were down so he destroyed himself.
HongKongPhooey

Postby Hermit » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:44 am

A player cobra attacked me at a nav beacon a week ago. I was only in a sidewinder. He got a nasty shock when I outflew him. He couldn't understand how I was always able to get behind him. He tried legging it when I took out his shields, but when I chased him down he just turned and rammed me because he saw me being attacked by security vipers. That didn't kill me. It was the security that got the final shots in.

I hate that factional shite. You shoot a wanted ship and the security opens up on you :( I'd have sorted that twat out in the cobra if it hadn't been for them. But I bet he shit himself, though, when he started taking damage from me :lol:
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm using 2x class 2 multi-cannons and 2x class 1 pulse lasers (all gimbled)
Once the shields go down the cannons tear them apart in seconds. Before I switched to using cannons, I had the problem of the bigger ships escaping with FSD before I could finish them off. I found going after them with a wake scanner useless.
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:Doesn't matter to me if you think I am Monty Schwab. In fact, I would be proud to be Monty Schwab. He's making a difference in the world. More of us should be like him!
General Paranoia

Postby HongKongPhooey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:30 pm

Interesting GP. I just switched to a similar weapon load last night but have not tried it in anger yet. 2 C1 beam rather than pulse though. I think I may be running to close to the limit on power but will try it and see. I can switch down to pulse lasers like you have if it is a problem.
HongKongPhooey

Postby Hermit » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:20 pm

I have C1 and C2 gimbled multicannons on my viper. It's a mad setup, true, and a complete waste of ammo. But it does make you feel good when you're laying into someone with all guns blazing :D
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:40 pm

I've found trading in rares one of the quickest ways to make money. Here's a handy route map:-

General Paranoia

Postby Hermit » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:40 am

:shock:

So, where do you buy and where do you sell on there?
Hermit

Postby HongKongPhooey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:41 am

Thats a nice graphic. Did you make it or find it? I have started a tour of the main planets from the original Elite and reached Leesti last night. Might cross your path somewhere on this map if you follow it. What's your commander name? I am Cmdr Doogz.

Doug
HongKongPhooey

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Frother