actually good, replayable board games?

Proper frother gaming in its purest form, without the stupid miniatures. Prepare to receive Boarders!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: actually good, replayable board games?

Postby EnglishRed » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:16 pm

kawasaki wrote:
A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:Kingmaker or Blood Royale.

Kingmaker is terrific. You need at least 4 players to make it swing though, and it can go on a bit.

Haven't played it for years. Which is odd, because I've still got a copy...

Dune from AH is another good competitive multi-player game. It's really rather clever.

Got a copy of that too. Haven't played that for years either :roll:

Kingmaker was great. I was never fully happy with the battle mechanics though.

Dune has been remade as Rex by FFG (licensing issues)
EnglishRed

Postby Uthalin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:33 pm

Other than to agree with Kingmaker and zombicide I've little to add, but ( I know you said to not mention it ) Carcasonne South Seas is currently dirt cheap on Amazon Germany, about £12 inc postage. It's a standalone game and worth a punt even if you decide it's not for you and pass it on.
Uthalin

Postby Hastati » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Junta and Brittania for light entertainment. If you want to get serious with a multi-player game try the Successors and the Napoleonic Wars,both by GMT.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby geronimo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:34 pm

I've got an unopened waggle dance I'll bring down in February so we can all see what the fuss is about ;)
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Skipp » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:57 pm

geronimo wrote:I've got an unopened waggle dance I'll bring down in February so we can all see what the fuss is about ;)

Do it, but it's "up" when you come north, as in better... :wry:

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby Duff » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:58 pm

BadBabyBunny wrote:War on terror... Funnier than risk and with better box art.

Any game that has my mum saying "so tell me. How much are terrorists these days?" gets my vote.

Mate got this for Xmas and is raving about it.

I'm not a big board game player but Pandemic and Spartacus are both great games, and Blood of Dracula still gets a thumbs up from me.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby geronimo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Skipp wrote:
geronimo wrote:I've got an unopened waggle dance I'll bring down in February so we can all see what the fuss is about ;)

Do it, but it's "up" when you come north, as in better... :wry:

Good job you pointed that out, I'd have been sat outside Roy ' s wondering where the fuck yiu lot were.
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby aliensurfer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:35 pm

I like Settlers of Catan http://www.catan.com/ not tried it with any of the expansions though.
aliensurfer

Postby AndrewGPaul » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:17 am

EnglishRed wrote:One of my personal favourites is he Battlestar Galactica game. You need a group of 5 or so, takes ages and helps if you like the tv show but can result in really memorable, back stabbing games.

I've played it with anywhere from three to five. Works fine at all those numbers, and actually plays differently, too. Liking the show helps with recognising the look and feel, but the guy who actually owned the copy I played hadn't seen the show and it didn't hamper him any. :)

Blood Bowl Team Manager might be worth a look. Again, a bit of familiarity with Blood Bowl (or Warhammer in general) might help to get people interested, but you can pick up the gameplay without it. Plenty of scope for underdog victories there.
Last edited by AndrewGPaul on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewGPaul

Postby pedro » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:22 am

for one on one games (with a good bottle of Porto and a pack of cigarrettes), my favourite is:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/620/we-people (available nowadays as Washington's war)
being a card driven, it has loads of variations from game to game

another good one, also for two players (and this is highly re-playable) is:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/210 ... der-europe
but a bit on the rules heavy side

I'm usually not fan of those games will several players, specially if there are long player turns or loads of rules and possibilities, because sooner or later a couple of them tend to wander off and make the game even slower. therefore for lots of players it's best to play several quick and simple games other then a single long one. But if I had to choose a long play game for several players, Formula Dé is always my choice:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/173/formula-de
loads of replayablility due to several different tracks and you can always (with a bit of house rules) play a Formula 1 season
Cheers,
Pedro
pedro

PreviousNext

Return to Boardgamers' Galley