fluxx

Proper frother gaming in its purest form, without the stupid miniatures. Prepare to receive Boarders!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

fluxx

Postby anevilgiraffe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:19 pm

ok, as Munchin is in here, so is this...

anyone played Fluxx? saw Star Fluxx on Tabletop ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj6C1CBXPvc ) and it looked like fun, but figured basic Fluxx may be easier for my not-we mates... what's the general fluff for the basic game?

Gailbraithe wrote:I actually do know better than the dictionary.
anevilgiraffe
Associate Member

Re: fluxx

Postby blackfly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 pm

I've played it, but only a handful of times. I found its mechanic of 'there is no set game' to be sort of tiresome.

Basically you have a bunch of cards that do things and have properties. There is a separate set of cards that set goals/conditions. So you can change the conditions and goals to fit what you have, and you can be very close to meeting a goal or winning, and then the finish line gets moved, and you're not in nearly as good of spot as you were.

Its a neat idea- adaptability and shifting priorities and all that, but it ended up seeming too arbitrary for me personally. Though a lot of my friends still dig it.

You can't really be /good/ at it, because its all the turn of a card. Any plans you make can be dashed in a turn. Its just reading things and reacting really.

For me, I'd rather just play 1000 Blank White Cards, where there at least the arbitraryness fosters creativity, and is an extension of those playing. There was a thread here about it, but as with most of the useful history in the FUUK archive, it predates Year Zero, and so is lost to time.

If you have a good group of friends I highly suggest looking into 1kBWC. 8)
Last edited by blackfly on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (111) [2002]

"There should be a special term for people who join TMP* in order to complain about something** in their first post(s)." -AECurtis (RIP)

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby blackfly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:27 pm

The goal is an example of how the conditions change.

It could have been something else entirely, and then that card comes up, and someone else wins.
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (111) [2002]

"There should be a special term for people who join TMP* in order to complain about something** in their first post(s)." -AECurtis (RIP)

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby blackfly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:34 pm

also, i just clicked that link and I absolutely want to kick the shit out of that asshole host.

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby blackfly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:42 pm

Also, i re-read your post, and after watching as much of the video as I could tolerate realized you already probably knew how it worked, and that I missed you asking about the fluff! not the game itself. Sorry about that. :)

From what I remember there is no thematic consistency.

There keepers are things like Night, Day, Religion, Happiness, Rockets, Sleep, Time, Flowers, Death. Etc.

Then there are goals that are simple combos like Night & Day, Death by Chocolate, Bedtime (sleep + time), etc.

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby TheImp » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:06 pm

It's a fun game. Tends to fall towards silliness and randomness. I've played Fluxx, Star Fluxx, Zombie Fluxx, Wizard of Oz Fluxx, and Monte Python Fluxx. They're easy enough that my ex's five year old could play, but complex enough to entertain adults.
TheImp
Associate Member

Postby anevilgiraffe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:44 pm

blackfly wrote:also, i just clicked that link and I absolutely want to kick the shit out of that asshole host.

Wesley Crusher all grown up... I quite like the show I have to admit...

blackfly wrote:Also, i re-read your post, and after watching as much of the video as I could tolerate realized you already probably knew how it worked, and that I missed you asking about the fluff! not the game itself. Sorry about that. :)

From what I remember there is no thematic consistency.

There keepers are things like Night, Day, Religion, Happiness, Rockets, Sleep, Time, Flowers, Death. Etc.

Then there are goals that are simple combos like Night & Day, Death by Chocolate, Bedtime (sleep + time), etc.

so a bit random then... doesn't really inspire

TheImp wrote:It's a fun game. Tends to fall towards silliness and randomness. I've played Fluxx, Star Fluxx, Zombie Fluxx, Wizard of Oz Fluxx, and Monte Python Fluxx.

what's zombie fluxx like then? everyone digs zombies...

Gailbraithe wrote:I actually do know better than the dictionary.
anevilgiraffe
Associate Member

Postby blackfly » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:02 am

anevilgiraffe wrote:I quite like the show I have to admit...

Looks like a cool idea, and I can totally see the draw of seeing game play etc before purchasing, for sure. He just seems like a twat :)

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby spinningdice » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:40 am

Fluxx is very random, there is a little bit of strategy there, but it's about 90% luck. There's an anecdote around that someone was trying to convince his girlfriend to play and said it's so easy the cat can play, laid cards face down in front of his cat and just picked whichever card his cat happened to have it's paw nearest to (effectively playing randomly) and the cat won in 3 turns.

It's a great diversion (and great while drunk), and they themed versions are no more difficult. Family Fluxx and another one (Environment Fluxx?) have the more confusing cards taken out for playing with children that only have basic reading/comprehension, but beyond that it's all good.

There was also a Stoner Fluxx, which had cards instructing you to 'Toke' at certain points.
spinningdice

Postby TheImp » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:57 am

Zombie Fluxx is alright. Mostly about moving zombies between players. Even though all of the zombies are creeper cards, stipulating that you can't win the game unless the goal says you can as long as the card is in front of you, about half the goals explicitly require one or more zombies. And there are a ton of ways to remove or transfer a zombie. It would be a more challenging game with fewer of both. The zombie victory ungoal is a fun way to spitefully end the game with no victor though.
TheImp
Associate Member

Return to Boardgamers' Galley