State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Voice From Limbo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:08 pm

The numbers weren't.
Voice From Limbo

Postby ssssanemax » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Voice From Limbo wrote:The numbers weren't.

The US constitution and electoral system were though. or should John Quincy Adams or Benjamin Harrison be taken off the list of US Presidents retrospectively, like some sort of Big-Bearded Lance Armstrong?
ssssanemax

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:57 pm

I'm as bad as anybody when it comes to whinging about - well anything (who knew?) - but Pat's right, there's no point in saying the numbers weren't wrong when they plainly were by the accepted constitutional means of tallying them.

Sure he didn't have the 'popular vote', but until you change your back of a fag packet masonic conspiracy constitution to use that as the means of electing a president and not your bizarre Electoral College system, that's what you are stuck with, and much as I hate him, he won on the legal basis at the time.

So much as I watch the polls with glee, I remember Baron Kinnock of Bedwellty being even more of a prick than usual in 1992 and having his Victory Rally in Sheffield the week before he lost. I suppose at least he had the party before the five year hangover.

So don't count your chickens.
Bronshtein

Postby Ssanemax » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Bronshtein wrote:I remember Baron Kinnock of Bedwellty being even more of a prick than usual in 1992

WE'RE AWWRIGHT! WE'RE AWWRIGHT!
Ssanemax

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:14 pm

Bronshtein

Postby kyotebue2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Fuck.
kyotebue2

Postby Hermit » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:11 pm

Fuck me, I remember that rally when they showed it on television. It really was sphincter-tightening stuff. A good example of going too far, and proved that we weren't Americans, and we should never copy them.

Re-live the pain (the "we'ralright!" shite starts at 1:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro

:puke:
Hermit

Postby Ssanemax » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:44 am

Hermit wrote:Re-live the pain (the "we'ralright!" shite starts at 1:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro

:puke:

No thank you. I have no need to watch it again to re-live the pain. I got to live it for the rest of the 90's

(is it OK now to admit to laughing and rubbing my hands together when Maggi Carked it?)
Ssanemax

Postby Il Segaiolo Pedantesco » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:39 am

The Election That Could Break America: If the vote is close, Donald Trump could easily throw the election into chaos and subvert the result. Who will stop him?

The worst case, however, is not that Trump rejects the election outcome. The worst case is that he uses his power to prevent a decisive outcome against him. If Trump sheds all restraint, and if his Republican allies play the parts he assigns them, he could obstruct the emergence of a legally unambiguous victory for Biden in the Electoral College and then in Congress. He could prevent the formation of consensus about whether there is any outcome at all. He could seize on that un­certainty to hold on to power.

Trump’s state and national legal teams are already laying the groundwork for postelection maneuvers that would circumvent the results of the vote count in battleground states. Ambiguities in the Constitution and logic bombs in the Electoral Count Act make it possible to extend the dispute all the way to Inauguration Day, which would bring the nation to a precipice. The Twentieth Amendment is crystal clear that the president’s term in office “shall end” at noon on January 20, but two men could show up to be sworn in. One of them would arrive with all the tools and power of the presidency already in hand.

“We are not prepared for this at all,” Julian Zelizer, a Prince­ton professor of history and public affairs, told me. “We talk about it, some worry about it, and we imagine what it would be. But few people have actual answers to what happens if the machinery of democracy is used to prevent a legitimate resolution to the election.”
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Segaiolo Pedantesco

Postby Bronshtein » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Il Segaiolo Pedantesco wrote:The Election That Could Break America: If the vote is close, Donald Trump could easily throw the election into chaos and subvert the result. Who will stop him?

The Twentieth Amendment is crystal clear that the president’s term in office “shall end” at noon on January 20, but two men could show up to be sworn in. One of them would arrive with all the tools and power of the presidency already in hand.

Sure its only two?
Bronshtein

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot