The Thread you can all ignore Brazil, Brazil, Brazil.

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: The Thread you can all ignore Brazil, Brazil, Brazil.

Postby Hermit » Wed May 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Sounds like he's about to go full Mugabe.

Considering he doesn't take the pandemic seriously. He's been using it as cover whilst the gaze of the world is on it.
Hermit

Postby Macunaima » Thu May 28, 2020 2:51 am

Hermit wrote:Sounds like he's about to go full Mugabe.

Considering he doesn't take the pandemic seriously. He's been using it as cover whilst the gaze of the world is on it.

I think his model is actually more Hugo Chavez, only dressed in right wing garb. But yeah: deathsquads are passé. What we have now is “democracy” but murders and whatnot being allowed by “popular acclaim” when they are directed at “enemies of the people”.

I also think that, like many Brazilians of his color and class, Bozo would be absolutely pleased to see 5,000,000 dead citizens or so, as long as they are concentrated among the poor, black, and old. In fact, yesterday, one of he economic ministers flat out said that every retiree dead makes Brazil economically stronger. He’s more like a Cecil Rhodes in his intellectual lineage than a Mugabe.

I don’t know if we can call this “genocide”. Mass murder by proxy, at any rate.

It’s darkly hilarious, however, because Bozo is just so incompetent at it all.

If you want to know what Brazilian politics look like now, picture the Joker juggling babies and running chainsaws to the tune of “Yakkity Sax” (aka The Benny Hill Show theme).
Macunaima

Postby Hermit » Fri May 29, 2020 4:04 pm

I can't remember if it was Brazil, but there was one South American country which gave assistance to citizens who supported the government over those that didn't. This was before the pandemic. I wonder if that's still being used as political tool. Preferential treatment for a loyal support base.
Hermit

Postby Macunaima » Sat May 30, 2020 1:30 am

Hermit wrote:I can't remember if it was Brazil, but there was one South American country which gave assistance to citizens who supported the government over those that didn't. This was before the pandemic. I wonder if that's still being used as political tool. Preferential treatment for a loyal support base.

Not here. At least not legally.
Macunaima

Postby Hermit » Sat May 30, 2020 9:16 pm

No, I'm thinking of Maduro and Venezuela.
Hermit

Postby Macunaima » Sun May 31, 2020 5:06 pm

It is what Bozo would like to do here, but we aren’t there yet. Soon, however, unless we are very lucky.
Macunaima

Postby gustav » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:57 am

hmm "Conservatives" have won the last few elections in AU mainly on the basis of keeping middle class wealth-fare .....
(ie Tax Breaks for Negative Gearing of mortgages on Multiple Houses, Tax Refunds for Franking Credits when no tax paid etc etc). I kid not. That is What our Economic Mining Boom was spent on. Sounds about the same thing. Obviously Bozo still has a few lessons to learn in Neo-Liberal philosophy.
gustav

Postby Macunaima » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:34 am

Frankly, I think there’s not a thing he does well except incite hate.
Macunaima

Postby Hermit » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm

There's still a chance that Bolsanaro may go if Trump loses his coming election (and he seems to be doing a good job so far in bringing that about). When that happens, the "domino effect" may come into play and other far-right leaders and populists in the world will start to go.
Hermit

Postby kyotebue2 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:06 pm

Let's hope so.
kyotebue2

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot