The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Postby Ssanemax » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:05 am

Picador wrote: Dune is unfilmable. Although I doubt the latest effort could be worse than David Lynch's shambles.

I suppose its one saving grace is it hasn't got Sting in it :)

I am not sure - Lynch's Dune has a sort of Campy Appeal, a bit like Flash Gordon. And Sting is the ripe icing on the cake, like Durian on a Fruit Salad of insanity.... hmmm Flash Gordon and Dune - That would make a pretty good mash-up actually.

'Atreides's ALIIIVE!!?'

Brian Blessed would make an excellent Vladimir Harkonnen wouldn't he? :) or even better, an Excellent Duke Leto. Or Jessica. He would be great at any of those really. admit it. ADMIT ITTTTT.
Ssanemax

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:10 am

Ssanemax wrote:
Picador wrote:
kyotebue2 wrote:Mithmee is still 10 feet tall and COVID-19 proof. He never gets a shot or sick.

Anyone think he'll do a turnaround now that the Orange Idiot in Chief has?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52115584
US President Donald Trump urges Americans to follow guidelines, calling it "a matter of life and death"
The US death toll surpasses 4,000 and there are fears as many as 200,000 people could die there

:)

It's still not sinking in over there - I saw a headline on t'net 'Could Dune's release be threatened by Coronavirus?'*

* Dune. Place your bets now. Monumental Flop, or staggeringly Gigantic Flop? It's the most uncinematic SF book I can think of. Give 100 Herbert Fans paper and a pencil and ask them to sketch, say, a Sardaukar or a Fremen and you will get 100 different concepts. And SF is a dying literary form, how many Dune Fans will need to go see it to break even? Akll of them, several hundred thousand times.

Why do people think books have to be made into movies? They don't go 'Oh, I like Michelangelo's David - I shall turn it into a Stage Play' or 'Nice Night Watch Rembrandt, who's doing the Choreography for the Ballet??'

I would beg to differ.

Like many Genres it has had it's peaks and troughs over the last 40-50 decades but it is far from dying as a literary form - Many writers from outside the West have proved fine contributions. Cixin Liu is pretty good, Nnedi Okorafor (ignore the YA stuff) and Octavia Butler carry some good ideas and themes. Atwoods "Oryx & Crake" trilogy is good reading, especially in out current times. Iain M Banks managed to knock it out of the park with pretty much every title until his death. China Mieville can be patchy but still delivers on imagination and mise-en-scene. Gavin Smith wrote some pretty good titles about a decade ago. Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber is awesome. Like almost every genre, there is a ton of knock-off junk. Sift through the dross dear boy...

Read some of the compendiums which come out annually - Best way to discover new works and writers.

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:11 am

Guest wrote:
Ssanemax wrote:
Picador wrote:
kyotebue2 wrote:Mithmee is still 10 feet tall and COVID-19 proof. He never gets a shot or sick.

Anyone think he'll do a turnaround now that the Orange Idiot in Chief has?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52115584
US President Donald Trump urges Americans to follow guidelines, calling it "a matter of life and death"
The US death toll surpasses 4,000 and there are fears as many as 200,000 people could die there

:)

It's still not sinking in over there - I saw a headline on t'net 'Could Dune's release be threatened by Coronavirus?'*

* Dune. Place your bets now. Monumental Flop, or staggeringly Gigantic Flop? It's the most uncinematic SF book I can think of. Give 100 Herbert Fans paper and a pencil and ask them to sketch, say, a Sardaukar or a Fremen and you will get 100 different concepts. And SF is a dying literary form, how many Dune Fans will need to go see it to break even? Akll of them, several hundred thousand times.

Why do people think books have to be made into movies? They don't go 'Oh, I like Michelangelo's David - I shall turn it into a Stage Play' or 'Nice Night Watch Rembrandt, who's doing the Choreography for the Ballet??'

I would beg to differ.

Like many Genres it has had it's peaks and troughs over the last 40-50 decades but it is far from dying as a literary form - Many writers from outside the West have proved fine contributions. Cixin Liu is pretty good, Nnedi Okorafor (ignore the YA stuff) and Octavia Butler carry some good ideas and themes. Atwoods "Oryx & Crake" trilogy is good reading, especially in out current times. Iain M Banks managed to knock it out of the park with pretty much every title until his death. China Mieville can be patchy but still delivers on imagination and mise-en-scene. Gavin Smith wrote some pretty good titles about a decade ago. Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber is awesome. Like almost every genre, there is a ton of knock-off junk. Sift through the dross dear boy...

Read some of the compendiums which come out annually - Best way to discover new works and writers.

Fuckin' fuck - I mean't 4-5 decades...

Postby Ssanemax » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:18 am

Guest wrote:I would beg to differ.

Like many Genres it has had it's peaks and troughs over the last 40-50 decades

surrrrre you did Doctorrrrrrr, sure you did
Ssanemax

Postby dalek 175/d-thx1138/c » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:19 am

Ssanemax wrote:
Guest wrote:I would beg to differ.

Like many Genres it has had it's peaks and troughs over the last 40-50 decades

surrrrre you did Doctorrrrrrr, sure you did

Exterminate! Ex-ter-mi-naaaaaaaate
dalek 175/d-thx1138/c

Postby Unconcerned AmericaN » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 pm

you Brits must be feeling pretty sick - all that panic over Covidavirus, and today Our Great President has explained that wearing a scarf over your face will prevent us getting the disease.

Your queen never thought of that, or your Mrs Thatcher, did she?

4 more years! 4 More Years! Build that Wall! Make America Gags again!
Unconcerned AmericaN

Postby Dalek Beautician » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:24 pm

EXFOLIATE...EXFOLIATE!!
Dalek Beautician

Postby Dalek Statistcian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:25 pm

EXTRAPOLATE, EXTRAPOLATE!
Dalek Statistcian

Postby Trump U Alumni » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Unconcerned AmericaN wrote:you Brits must be feeling pretty sick - all that panic over Covidavirus, and today Our Great President has explained that wearing a scarf over your face will prevent us getting the disease.

Your queen never thought of that, or your Mrs Thatcher, did she?

4 more years! 4 More Years! Build that Wall! Make America Gags again!

The one thing I learned at Trump University is to set goals for yourself. Setting goals is important!

But I could never remember if the goal was 100,000 - 240,000 dead or 1,500,000 - 2,200,000 dead.

However I am reassured that there will be new testing options for CONSUMERS soon.

Fucking amateur hour on the main stage...
Trump U Alumni

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:03 pm

Picador wrote:Dune is unfilmable.

And thank fuck for that.

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot