Every Man Jack

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Every Man Jack

Postby Australian Dawn NLI » Mon May 13, 2019 2:35 pm

Is it just me or are there a disturbing number of Jack the Ripper and victim miniatures out there?
I'm not sure what this says about gamers, it seems a bit creepy.

You could probably field quite an army using only Jack figures, two armies if you fielded victim figs.
Play something like the battle of Rorke's Drift maybe, with all the Rippers besieged by all the victim looking to give them a taste of their own medicine.

I haven't noticed games based on catching him posted very often on the web, so why so many figures?
Is it just the first thing that pops into a sculptor's head when he starts trying to think up Victorian subjects to sculpt? Or are there mad keen Ripper figure collectors out there snapping them up? :?
Australian Dawn NLI

Re: Every Man Jack

Postby Guest » Mon May 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Australian Dawn NLI wrote:Is it just me or are there a disturbing number of Jack the Ripper and victim miniatures out there?

You could probably field quite an army using only Jack figures, two armies if you fielded victim figs.
Play something like the battle of Rorke's Drift maybe, with all the Rippers besieged by all the victim looking to give them a taste of their own medicine.

I haven't noticed games based on catching him posted very often on the web, so why so many figures?
Is it just the first thing that pops into a sculptor's head when he starts trying to think up Victorian subjects to sculpt? Or are there mad keen Ripper figure collectors out there snapping them up? :?

Jack the Ripper? I don’t remember seeing any.
But there have always been victim figures.
Back in the 80s, someone thought it would be hilarious to have a nude woman slung over the saddle of a Hun chieftain.
I saw a diorama if her sling over a log, with an Ogre pounding her from behind.
It’s not new.

Postby Rossco » Mon May 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Australian Dawn NLI wrote:Is it just me or are there a disturbing number of Jack the Ripper and victim miniatures out there?

It may simply be that Jack is a straightforward subject to sculpt, is a relatively generic Victorian era type for skirmish games and is a 'Name' character. There are also a lot of Sherlock Holmes figures.
I Froth because I care about miniatures.
Rossco

Postby Macunaima nli » Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Nerd misogyny...?
Macunaima nli

Postby JJCH nli » Mon May 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Not enough Nick the Stripper figures is the real problem.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l5I2vEcVC_I

Speaking of misogyny and the Ripper industry, I heard the author of this tome interviewed on the radio last week. An interesting perspective largely untold before now.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... rs-victims
JJCH nli

Postby Guest » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm

JJCH nli wrote:Not enough Nick the Stripper figures is the real problem.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l5I2vEcVC_I

Speaking of misogyny and the Ripper industry, I heard the author of this tome interviewed on the radio last week. An interesting perspective largely untold before now.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... rs-victims

Oh man, love that video. Saw it when I was about 12-13 and thought it was one of the most interesting things I had seen on TV at the time.

Can we get a complete set of figures for them and also The Bad Seeds now that so many of them are dead. A set of figures for Einsturzende Neubauten would be good too, maybe Half Mensch era.

Postby Macunaima nli » Tue May 14, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks for that link, JJCH!
Macunaima nli

Postby JJCH nli » Tue May 14, 2019 12:35 am

Blixa Bargeld would be easy. The man looks like a badly sculpted caricature anyway. Tracy Pew, should be easy enough to convert from any figure with a cowboy hat. You’d have to sculpt yer own mesh singlet though.

Apropos of nothing I used to live not far from Rowland Howard, I used to see him in the street from time to time. A French-Canadian friend of mine worked in the Wellington St CES and used to say, ‘we ave zis client oo looks like a rock star. Oo is it?’ I knew it was Rowland.

By an even weirder coincidence, the lady who used to run the Post Office in Port Albert, where my grandparents retired was the mother of Conway Savage. I’ll never forget the day she asked me if I liked The Bad Seeds. I lent her some CDs and a Birthday Party record.
JJCH nli

Postby JJCH nli » Tue May 14, 2019 9:15 am

Mac, if you are interested you can listen to the interview with the author here:

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pr ... 9/11097110
JJCH nli

Postby Australian Dawn NLI » Tue May 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Guest wrote:Jack the Ripper? I don’t remember seeing any.

Here's the best example I can think of.
https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collect ... -pre-order
There are not usually so many from one manufacturer and not usually collected together like this of course, but there are probably almost as many Ripper figs lurking in Victorian ranges as there are Sherlock Holmes figures, in fact I've often wondered if having Holmes face off against the Ripper might be what the sculptors intended, but a fig leaf excuse for all the Victorian streetwalker figs seems more likely.
But then a collection of Rippers like that seems to suggest that there must be quite some interest in figures of Jack himself.
Australian Dawn NLI

Next

Return to The Froth Pot