Tea and coffee

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Tea and coffee

Postby deephorse » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:58 am

rebelyell2006 wrote:I'm fine with a cup of instant or anything from a truck stop, but I know more tea drinkers than coffee drinkers. And the bulk of the coffee drinkers I know are retired navy, who will drink any dark sludge as long as it has caffeine. Do people in Europe treat coffee as something beyond a simple vehicle for necessary caffeine intake?

Using purely personal experience, I only ever drink tea at home. But if I’m having dinner in a restaurant, or just having a quick stop somewhere for lunch, then it will only be coffee, never tea. So the coffee thing is more about the taste after food and never for the caffeine intake.
deephorse

Postby JJCH nli » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:41 pm

gustav wrote:Reb
Totes agree with JJCH about the fetish thingo here in Oz but OTOH once you are used to a decent coffee on a regular basis it is hard to go back to perked sludge or a "nice" cup of instant ..... "International Roast" *shudder*
Even pods are better.

However being a Pom I am also still partial to a decent cuppa of rosie. Another ex-pom friend of mine really winds up the locals by never drinking their tea as he maintains they can never make it properly ... 0;)

btb
I always find it amusing that the Boston Tea Party was (if I remember correctly) about the removal of taxation on tea - something most Seppos are blissfully unaware of, as opposed to the old canard "No Taxation without Representation". Mind you the reasons for not allowing the 13 Colonies to have a few MP's in London is beyond me. Make one wonder what would have been the result if that did happen. Might have saved the world an awful lot of bother :mrgreen:

Dunno whether you saw but Bialetti, maker of the iconic coffee pot are going bust. Pods are claimed as the culprit.
JJCH nli

Postby kyotebue2 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:11 pm

I drink real coffee.
kyotebue2

Postby heaps of bodies » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:15 am

JJCH nli wrote:Dunno whether you saw but Bialetti, maker of the iconic coffee pot are going bust. Pods are claimed as the culprit.

i would suggest it's more that you can get a perfectly decent 'Not Bialetti' in most superrmarkets.

But I will invest in another Bialetti now, they are cooler and my existing one is starting to fade.*

* I bought my very, very elderly dad a new one a few months back as well. I visited him and was about to make us a coffee when I realised the inner seal on the one he had owned for many years was a bit loose. I stripped it out and discovered he had NEVER removed it and cleaned behind the filter plate. It was like some sort of Petri-Dish in there. I mentioned this to my sister and brother as a thing to keep an eye on for him, only to discover THEY didn't know you needed to do that either. Yeck! You don't get that with a Pod.
heaps of bodies

Postby Not a connoisseur » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:23 pm

gustav wrote:sorry reb - but true - very rare to get what I would call a decent coffee in US on my trips. drip percolated stuff which is usually the norm is shit. Any Starbucks is shit.
just so you know. :mrgreen:

Then you just haven't been to the right places. Yep plenty of places serve crappy percolated stuff, but theres some damn fine coffees served in other places.

And ffs the situation isn't any different in Britain. On my visits to friends and for business I can seek out a good coffee, but in a friends house I'm just as likely to get a cup of instant freeze-dried.
Is Costa coffee any better than Starbucks? Don't think so.
Not a connoisseur

Postby Voice From Limbo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:59 pm

Heil Tee!

Voice From Limbo

Postby Etranger2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 pm

Ein volk, ein reich, ein cuppa
Etranger2

Postby gustav » Wed May 01, 2019 6:15 am

Not a connoisseur wrote:but theres some damn fine coffees served in other places.

ffs just said it was rare not the norm. so yes in my perhaps limited experience you can get a decent coffee occasionally in the US. Just ironic that for a country that is supposedly a major coffee drinking country, the coffee served is usually so shit.

Not a connoisseur wrote:And ffs the situation isn't any different in Britain. On my visits to friends and for business I can seek out a good coffee, but in a friends house I'm just as likely to get a cup of instant freeze-dried. Is Costa coffee any better than Starbucks? Don't think so.

Expect so. Your point being ? funnily enough as I live in the backward state of Queensland in Australia, where even here I can still generally get a decent "barista" flat white or from a pod at home / my friends 0:)
gustav

Previous

Return to The Froth Pot