Meanwhile, in the rest of the world...

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world...

Postby Condottiero » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Since there's a Yankee Doodie thread and one about the EU, though it's really an exercise in British bitchery, but what about the rest of the world or RoW?
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Re: Meanwhile, in the rest of the world...

Postby Hastati » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm in Sardinia sitting by the pool. It's all good here.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Condottiero » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:14 pm

It's High Noon in the Himalayas...

A weeks-long confrontation on the shared border between China, India and tiny Bhutan -- the sort that barely makes the headlines outside the countries involved -- has lasted longer than usual, and neither side looks ready to back off. Troops have had shoving matches and now stare one another down from encampments just miles apart. Although previous confrontations have been quietly resolved, this time some Indian strategists believe China will soon be tempted to launch a limited punitive strike as a reminder of its military superiority.

Clashes between India and China don’t usually matter to the rest of the world. Even when the two countries fought a short and bitter border war in 1962, the world’s attention was fixated on the brewing nuclear crisis in Cuba. While Indians have never quite forgotten our humiliating loss in that war, China has rarely chosen to remind us of it. This time, however, the usual chest-beating from India’s hyper-patriotic news media has been matched by similar noises from over the border. The state-controlled People’s Daily even posted a bellicose editorial from 1962 on its Weibo account.

In Beijing, a few weeks ago, I got the clear impression from some Chinese policymakers and diplomats that they thought India was getting, well, a bit above itself. Unhappy about China’s big Belt and Road Initiative, India not only stayed away from President Xi Jinping's recent forum showcasing the project, but released a stinging denunciation of the principles underlying the grand infrastructure scheme. That same language found its way into the joint statement issued by U.S. President Donald Trump and Narendra Modi when the Indian prime minister visited Washington last month. And India has recently taken a harder line on Tibet and the border than it has in the past.

For leaders in Beijing, this behavior seems inexplicable. I was repeatedly asked whether India had forgotten that its economy is five times smaller than China’s. Perhaps, one got the impression, India needed to be shown its place.

The problem is that India does not quite know its place. This makes sense when one considers its vision of its past and its expectations of its future. Independent India inherited the Raj’s armies -- the peacekeepers of Asia and Africa -- and with them, the Raj’s self-image as dominant east of Aden. It has always viewed itself as at least China’s equal in spite of the 1962 loss -- and even as its northern neighbor raced ahead economically. That was a minor setback, Indians feel; eventually we'll catch up, once we sort our messy politics out. And meantime, why not behave as if we already have?

Don't think much is going to happen over this, as eventually both sides will wander off in boredom, but in the meantime, take a gander at the comments section: finding it amusing that Chinese and Indians or fake ones, accusing each other of being expansionist bullies, in regards to smaller neighbours, while each claims to be altruistic for the underdog. :lol:
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:01 pm

The Australian opposition leader is talking about a plebiscite on becoming a republic (really just trying to highlight the PM's pathetic gushing over the Queen despite being a republican, behaviour which is apparently called being an "Elizabethan." :roll: :sick: )
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Ditto Tango 2 3 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:41 pm

What foolishness. Australians need to worry about the anti-vaccine idiots spreading pertussis everywhere - is it in New South Wales where there's a flare up of cases?
Ditto Tango 2 3

Postby JJCH nli » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:50 pm

I quite like 'Elizabethan', although he didn't coin the phrase or notion, it was all the rage in the 1950s. It's fun to picture our PM in a ruff, slashed doublet and codpiece bidding Sir John Hawkins or Drake or someone to go head out and discover Virginia and to bring him back a packet of Silk Cut. Besides, his government has already taken it's leitmotif from Shakespeare. 'Much Ado About Nothing' with elements of Lear, Julius Caesar and Hamlet thrown in for good measure.
JJCH nli

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:36 am

JJCH nli wrote:It's fun to picture our PM in a ruff, slashed doublet and codpiece

I'm surprised the political cartoonists didn't have the same idea to be honest.

I suppose the Queen should just be happy he didn't start spouting poetry about her like Menzies.
Australian Dawn

Postby gustav » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:45 pm

meanwhile today just came across this ......
Fox getting money from the Australian Gov for minority programming ??

[url]http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/comment/blunt-instrument/pay-tv-were-all-paying-for-foxtel-to-the-tune-of-30-million-20170801-gxmyq3.html/url]
gustav

Postby JJCH nli » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Given Fox's plummeting market share in pay TV, pretty much anything they broadcast is going to be minority oriented soon enough.
JJCH nli

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:13 pm

gustav wrote:meanwhile today just came across this ......
Fox getting money from the Australian Gov for minority programming ??

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/comment ... xmyq3.html

I wonder how they'll explain that (assuming they even bother to try.)
You'd think if they were really keen on supporting those sports they'd spend the money to have them shown for free on the ABC, although they might be worried it will take too much time away from the sex programs.
(I love how ABC kids turns into a kinky sex channel after seven. I'm sure a lot of kids who sneak out of bed to watch cartoons these days get quite the education!)
Australian Dawn

Next

Return to The Froth Pot