Siege of Jadotville

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Siege of Jadotville

Postby Hastati » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:09 am

Netflix original film about the 1961 battle during the UN operation in Katanga. Takes a few liberties with the actual events to make it a bit more "Hollywood", but is very enjoyable. Visually, it is very well done and captures the flavour of the battle well. Worth a watch.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Re: Siege of Jadotville

Postby Altius » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:20 pm

I watched about 40 minutes of this last night. Not bad so far, although a bit predictable, but don't spoil the ending for me. :wink:
I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself - what would a bad man do?
Altius

Postby Hastati » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:10 am

Everybody dies.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby JJCH nli » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:49 pm

An enormous steaming pile of shite. Comical, albeit unintentionally so.
JJCH nli

Postby Altius » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Name a war movie that's not. They all seem to follow the same, tired formulae, which was the comedic point of Tropic Thunder. But, hey, its escapism. Otherwise, we'd only watch documentaries.
I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself - what would a bad man do?
Altius

Postby The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Altius wrote:Name a war movie that's not. They all seem to follow the same, tired formulae, which was the comedic point of Tropic Thunder. But, hey, its escapism. Otherwise, we'd only watch documentaries.

The Battle of Algiers.
The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour

Postby clayface still not logged in » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:07 am

Altius wrote:Name a war movie that's not.

Fury. The ending was nothing I expected. In fact it was like nothing on earth, or anything in the saddest imaginations of the saddest soldier-wannabe.
clayface still not logged in

Postby MartinR » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:07 am

There is the odd war film (generally the more literary based ones) which manage to avoid at least some of the appalling cliches, such as Birdsong or The Red Badge of Courage, but in the main they explore the same tired old themes in the same tired old way. I don't think anything has moved on much from 'All Quiet on the Western Front'.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
MartinR

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:44 pm

I think 'The Long Day's Dying' is certainly worth a look - not your traditional action movie. If you hated the internal voice over style of Thin Red Line, you won't like this. Hardly any dialogue - nearly all internal monologue. The violence is swift and nasty when it happens but there is much more to this than a shoot em up big bangs war movie.
Don't think it is on DVD - it's on Amazon Video.
Bronshtein

Postby MartinR » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:21 am

Is it based on the book of the same name? I always rather enjoyed that, it felt very personal.

I never realised A Walk in the Sun was a novel either until I came across a dog eared copy in a second hand shop.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
MartinR

Next

Return to Movie Zone