Day Of The Jackal

Works of literature worth frothing over (or avoiding like the pox).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Day Of The Jackal

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:02 pm

I've just finished reading 'The Day of The Jackal'.
Fuck me sideways - what a stonkingly great book it is!
I've seen the film, but never read the book (or any other Frederick Forsyth for that matter).
If you've not read it then put it on your list straightaway because it's so bloody good. You'll fly through it because it's so compulsive. It gets the full 10 out of 10. And a thumbs up to boot.
An Absent Humphrey

Re: Day Of The Jackal

Postby --- » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:10 pm

Yep, great book - Dogs of War is well worth a read too.

Unfortunately Forsyth went right down hill after them.
---
Committee Member

Postby Etranger2 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Add The Odessa File to the list of good ones. (the movie is good too, if you haven't seen it) He's always readable but his first few books were his best.
Etranger2

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Yes, I can see myself giving one or two others a go. 'The Odessa File' was the next one I was going to go for.
Some years ago I went through a bit of a Len Deighton phase, so I'm all in there for a bit of airport fiction.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:17 pm

If you read 'Dogs of War' (not a bad book at all of its type) you should read his non-fiction 'The Biafra Story' alongside or immediately after. For a Torygraph type he had some remarkably anti-establishment views when he was young.

Deighton's earlier stuff was good - on the money for the time and definitely non-heroic compared to Fleming or even Forsyth. 'Spy Story' is very good.
Bronshtein

Postby kawasaki » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:05 pm

I enjoyed The Fourth Protocol too.

The film was shite mind.
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby Clayface » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 am

A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:Yes, I can see myself giving one or two others a go. 'The Odessa File' was the next one I was going to go for.
Some years ago I went through a bit of a Len Deighton phase, so I'm all in there for a bit of airport fiction.

'The Dogs of War' is excellent. In fact, I envy you - like you, I saw the piss-poor film first, and had very low expectations of the book - but it's splendid. I think it's even better in the 'nitty gritty detail of actually doing stuff', that was Forsyth's early trademark style, than 'Jackal'

Deighton is a minefield. Half his books are great, half beyond terrible. My father firmly believed (and with his education I trust him on this for a change) that he only wrote every other book - he got someone else to the other ones. He said this to me in the early 80's, back when it was not common practice like it is nowadays with 'Tom Clancy' or 'Virginia Andrews'

Some of His Non fiction is great, 'Blitzkrieg' is excellent fun.

I found a collection of his short stories in a charity shop, and if you had sent me them in MS form and told me they were written by Sven Hassel when he was 14 I would have believed you.
Clayface

Postby Etranger2 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:27 am

That would be War Stories ? The one about recovering the KO'd Churchill was quite good I thought & eminently convertable into a scenario.
Etranger2

Postby Clayface » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:34 am

No idea what it was called, long time ago, it was very poor. A lot of them had a 'Future Shocks' vibe, done badly with clumsily obvious 'See? See? YOU thought this story was modern soldiers guarding a frontier post but I very cleverly tricked you, they are Roman Soldiers in the ALPS and it's all about Hannibal? see? see?' endings.

*Edit* - the Hannibal one is one I remember, so I looked it up - 'Declarations of War' is apparently what it was called. It may have been called something else where you live.
Clayface

Postby Etranger2 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:41 am

No, my memory was faulty. That is what it was called. It's buried in a box in the shed somewhere.
Etranger2

Next

Return to Frother Book Club