Windows XP SP3?

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Windows XP SP3?

Postby Hermit » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:40 am

Need to install XP on someone's laptop, but they also need SP3 on it as well to use some old hardware with it. I used to have the SP3 .exe file on a CD, but that was lost ages ago along with the final patch for XP that Microshaft released before they pulled the plug on support.

Anyone know of a good download site that has it that isn't dodgy that possibly has both (but mostly SP3)?
Hermit

Re: Windows XP SP3?

Postby andrewbeasley » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Touch barge pole comes to mind.

Buy the dusk off eBay - much safer.
andrewbeasley

Postby andrewbeasley » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Or even disk :-)
andrewbeasley

Postby Hermit » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:34 pm

andrewbeasley wrote:Touch barge pole comes to mind.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'd normally get one from ebay but it's for someone else, and I'm getting fuck all for doing it. So that's out. I might risk the Softonic download, which isn't the safest location, but the best one I can find so far.

Edit: Or maybe not, because that doesn't download. Ah well...
Hermit

Postby aliensurfer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:48 am

I might have it mate, let me check at work and I'll let you know.
aliensurfer

Postby Hermit » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:12 pm

No need to worry about it now, but cheers anyway. My SP2 version did work with his hardware. As long as he doesn't try to connect to the internet with it, he'll be fine with it (he shouldn't be able to anyway, because I didn't install the laptop's drivers that would allow him to do that). It's highly vulnerable to any file he imports into it, but as long as he virus scans these files before transfering them to the laptop he should be alright-ish.

It's certainly worth me looking at ebay to buy a WinXp SP3 version at some point, as it would allow various AVs like Avast to be installed if someone with an old laptop needed to use the internet and weren't familiar with the Linux based OSs. Obviously a browser like Firefox or SeaMonkey could be used in place of anything excessive, along with an adblocker for a bit of extra protection.
Hermit

Return to Virtual Frother