Magic - The Gathering (card game)

Issues and techniques for your favourite Collectible Card Games (CCGs). Even Pokemon, if you must.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Magic - The Gathering (card game)

Postby egstonvonbrick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Magic - The Gathering

My kids have just bought this and are bickering constantly... i can either punch them both in the side of the head until they stop... or learn to play!

Can't say i'm overly excited but the first option may put me in prison...

Anyone had any experience? Is it worth 'having a go'... please note previous experience of card based games or anything that does not rely on d6 usually ends badly! :)

Cheers
Ev
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"
egstonvonbrick

Re: Magic - The Gathering (card game)

Postby matakishi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:54 pm

I played it when it first came out for about 5 years (I taught Jon Finkel to play, look him up, I'm in his biography too). Providing they haven't messed with the mechanics too much in the intervening 20 or so years it's probably still fun.
Get a starter deck and a couple of booster packs and away you go.
Don't take it too seriously :)
matakishi

Postby Monkeyborg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:23 pm

matakishi wrote:I played it when it first came out for about 5 years (I taught Jon Finkel to play, look him up, I'm in his biography too).

That makes you Darth Sidious to Joe's Darth Maul then. :wink:

Except Ewan McGregor hasn't cut him in half. And you don't (yet) rule the galaxy.

I'll shut up now…
Monkeyborg

Postby TwoGunBob » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Some stuff has changed but I couldn't tell you the short and skinny of it. There's new special abilities and some cards almost need another card to explain their effects. Gone are the days of simple 1/1 monsters that don't have three or four if's and's or but's attached. I played awhile back and had fun but it was with my old cards that I was too stupid not to sell back in the day.

It's fun but the tournament players make 40K tournament players look like well adjusted sociable human beings by comparison. They take a stupid fucking exploitable card game as something serious and the red faced arguments just... No.
TwoGunBob

Postby blackfly » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Never heard of it.
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (111) [2002]

"There should be a special term for people who join TMP* in order to complain about something** in their first post(s)." -AECurtis (RIP)

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby egstonvonbrick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:36 pm

>>Never heard of it.
Starting to wish i hadn't!

No fucking rules in the box... have to trawl through lots of online shite, seems like it may be OK if i can get it through my 'fantasy filter'...
I'm a grumpy old sod at the best of times and can contemplate and reason how foot can handle horse etc. but how the fuck are you're supposed to get a grip on whether the 'green cwm of rage' is any better than the 'blue pudenda of joy' is fucking beyond me!

>>Half the 'fun' is working out your deck...
errr... no it fucking isn't!
...and people moan about DBA!

Have now just divvied up some 'decks' and will give it a whirl...
My local gaming-shop has a Friday 'Magic' night which i'm sure would help explain all in five minutes... but i'll be dammed if i have to spend a swampy evening being jostled by backpacks and trying to communicate with the aspergers massive!

Think my boy's on the 'spectrum' anyway so may just leave it with him... they did get me play Pokemon once!

Cheers
Ev
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"
egstonvonbrick

Postby egstonvonbrick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Fuck me! never knew there was a CCG 'thread'!

... to be honest i've only just worked out what CCG means... thanks for moving it to the correct place... will now ensure that even fewer people will see it! ;)

Cheers
Ev
egstonvonbrick

Postby TwoGunBob » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:57 pm

When I played it was like a tiny card sized eight page booklet. Easy peasy to grok and play of course it was starting to get a bit more complicated and each expansion got more powerful and it was necessary to buy more cards to stay 'in the game' as it were. We also just played with whopping massive decks that were only pruned down through trades.

I quit buying pretty early on then quit playing when a friend showed up to play and his entire deck was 'land' cards with shit written on them to represent other 'rare' cards he couldn't get so he could work out his 'strategy' and I was just done. I just liked massive stacks of cards and randomly flipping shit over with an occasional exclamation at how the cards played out.

I was obviously not the target demographic as I wasn't willing to keep buying cards or paying for ultrarare cards.

I had more fun with Jyhad aka Vampire: The Eternal Struggle cause there were only like 400 cards in the set back then andthe game sort of flopped I guess as I got a complete set of cards for like $15.00.
TwoGunBob

Postby Witurs » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 am

Yes, it's quite interesting card game, I've remembered how I found out this game in college from the guys of senior courses, even then I needed a dissertation proposal help and wanted to get advice from them. Then I knew the real excitement of this game. Then, a year later I was the best player. If the case, I think it's better to teach children and they would play with you personally than you catch them with other teenagers in the gateway and it is unlikely that they will be caught by the police.
Witurs

Postby EdgardK » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Any MTG vets playing the new MTG Arena? It looks fun as heck. Would be cool to play versus people from the community.
EdgardK

Return to CCG Surgery