Traveller. Do you play it motherfrother.

Releases, reports, rules, rumours and resources for your favourite Role-Playing Games (RPGs).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Traveller. Do you play it motherfrother.

Postby fearnow » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:50 am

do ya? I've finally decided it is The One True Game for my limited mileage (and I have been at the game since 1980 so I have a few bits). I do Mongoose specifically but use CT stuff all the time.

you?
“The only reason the Picts developed language in the first place was to better insult the English. This is also, as far as we can tell, the reason for Welsh.”
fearnow

Re: Traveller. Do you play it motherfrother.

Postby Passer by » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:29 am

Played pretty much every incarnation of it at least once.

I lean towards a mix of Classic and Mega Traveller. The Mongoose game is really good, I just didn't want to buy all the same books again.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby Hastati » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:31 am

Heard good things about the Mongoose version, but frankly, all my old Traveller little black books work fine so I don't see the need to buy it. Actually, my favourite parts of CT are Striker and Azhanti High Lightning (and Snaphot). I played the hell out of AHL and spent hours designing vehicles with Striker. Hey, I was 15, give me a break.

Sorry for the multiple edits, my spelling was atrocious for some reason.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Skipp » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:17 pm

love the traveller background, but must say (stuff you've all heard before) - the character generation, and lack of progression rules were at best a bit different (you could say the lack of progression is a good way to get people concentrating on playing, rather than powergaming?) - losing characters in generation though seemed a bit pointless tbh.

It still has a place in my heart though - and thats all to do with the background, and the low powered scifi it allows you to play...

mind you, my 15 year old self would ALWAYS plump for HEAP ammo.... which probably says something about the unthinking nature of 15 year olds - or me?

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby Passer by » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:49 am

Skipp wrote:love the traveller background, but must say (stuff you've all heard before) - the character generation, and lack of progression rules were at best a bit different (you could say the lack of progression is a good way to get people concentrating on playing, rather than powergaming?) - losing characters in generation though seemed a bit pointless tbh.

Death in character creation is only in the original black books though.
Megatraveller, TNE, T4, T20, Mongoose Traveller all relegate it to an optional rule :)
And even in some of the expansion books the "Survival roll means injury and muster out instead of death" rule was already cropping up as an option.

Ditto for progression rules. (Technically Classic Traveller does have progression but it's still in 4 year intervals).

:)
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby venusboys3 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:33 pm

Our Pathfinder GM has made a few rumbles of late about having a spark of interest in Traveller. I'm working a shadow campaign to get the rules into his hands and promote the idea to reality... I'm really tired of the bog standard fantasy stuff.

Skipp wrote:love the traveller background, but must say (stuff you've all heard before) - the character generation, and lack of progression rules were at best a bit different (you could say the lack of progression is a good way to get people concentrating on playing, rather than powergaming?) - losing characters in generation though seemed a bit pointless tbh.
The lack of mechanical progression in Traveller is one of the big draws for me. I much prefer the sort of in-setting progress Traveller favors... gaining resources, contacts, reputation, equipment... vs. "ZOOM! Your PC all of a sudden is stronger/smarter/tougher/better looking and knows how to sail! (despite all recent adventures being landlocked)"

Death in PC generation has never stuck in my craw the way it seems to for some folks. From my perspective the lifepath generation is a fun little dice game that sets you up with a backstory... it's a bit of gambling and a bit of intro to the setting. It doesn't take very long even if a PC dies and you need to start over... in the meantime it, potentially, gives you a hook. That 'died in service' PC might have been a friend who met his death in some action with you at his side... maybe he saved your life... maybe he was your brother... maybe his death was suspicious and his family blames you... maybe it left you with some prejudice/vendetta/phobia that continues to current day. Those little charts are always a spark of inspiration for me, including the deaths and misfortunes. It wouldn't be Traveller to me without them.

The Third Imperium on the other hand is something I've never much engaged with... preferring to use the core LBBs to conjure up a setting more to my liking (a bit weirder, wilder... less angular).
venusboys3

Postby Passer by » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 pm

When we play classic traveller, each player starts with 3 or 4 characters, then we play the ones who make it. We tend to run multiple characters in Traveller so it gives them a few extra bodies :-)

From MegaTraveller onwards, we don't do it.

As an aside, many happy hours using MegaTraveller character creation and skills, Classic Traveller for most other things and Striker for combat.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby venusboys3 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:23 pm

I've always wanted to try Striker... but it's got a reputation for being 'a lot of work'... so harder to talk folks into.
I always imagined that Stargrunt had a similar atmosphere... but I'm basing that on a whole lot of nothing.
venusboys3

Postby Passer by » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:09 am

venusboys3 wrote:I've always wanted to try Striker... but it's got a reputation for being 'a lot of work'... so harder to talk folks into.
I always imagined that Stargrunt had a similar atmosphere... but I'm basing that on a whole lot of nothing.

That's not a reputation, that's a fact :-)

It's full on simulation: Written orders and whatnot.
The actual game mechanics are quick enough and when you use it for man to man combat in an RPG, it's not a big deal, but it's certainly a "heavy" rules set.

Stargrunt is a similar feeling but much quicker to play. I've played it with stoners and other than "wait, what dice do I roll now?", it's easy enough.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Return to Role-Players Inn