Want to get me some Coc

Releases, reports, rules, rumours and resources for your favourite Role-Playing Games (RPGs).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Want to get me some Coc

Postby Scott Dorward » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:36 pm

Hastati wrote:The vibe I get is that Chaosium are moving it to a more "pulp action" oriented game as opposed to the fairly faithful rendition of the mythos that the old game was. I think they are trying to bring new blood to the game by making more combat focused.

No, there's no intention to make it more pulpy. The upcoming Pulp Cthulhu is designed to take care of that requirement.

The changes to the combat system are there to make it quicker to resolve fights, not to make the game more combat focused. 7th edition is still grim and deadly.
Scott Dorward

Postby Clayface » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:29 pm

I heard some internet rumours they were talking - Sandy Peterson maybe? - about another reboot?
Clayface

Postby Skipp NLI » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:10 pm

I dont own CoC, and havent played it since I was about 15 - dont think I ever got a game that realised its promise.

This thread has had me looking at ebay once more considering making a purchase - In the interests of starting a fight, I have the following question: Which edition is the best one?

(we played the GW printed hardback back in the day)
Skipp NLI

Postby Scott Dorward » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Sane Max wrote:I heard some internet rumours they were talking - Sandy Peterson maybe? - about another reboot?

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Chaosium haven't shipped the print version of 7th edition yet, so it would be premature to start work on the next version.

There are some expansions and other settings in the pipeline, such as Pulp Cthulhu and a new edition of Cthulhu Dark Ages. Is it possible that the rumours you saw were about one of them?
Scott Dorward

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:54 pm

Skipp NLI wrote:I dont own CoC, and havent played it since I was about 15 - dont think I ever got a game that realised its promise.

This thread has had me looking at ebay once more considering making a purchase - In the interests of starting a fight, I have the following question: Which edition is the best one?

(we played the GW printed hardback back in the day)

4th,5th,6th seem to be the flavour editions, but really doesn't matter. Like any rpg it's more to do with the Gm and players than the actual hard rules. You and the players have to want to play CoC though,not just use it as a base for guns vs slightly weirder monsters.

Postby Hastati » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:42 am

Guest wrote:

4th,5th,6th seem to be the flavour editions, but really doesn't matter.

Yep. I like 6th because there is a metric shit tonne of material produced for it, and still available as PDFs.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby venusboys3 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Hastati wrote:The vibe I get is that Chaosium are moving it to a more "pulp action" oriented game as opposed to the fairly faithful rendition of the mythos that the old game was.
That's the gist of it. I think they noticed the competition from newer Mythos games and were feeling insecure. Opted for chasing a bit of the success of Savage Worlds and Gumshoe.
I read through it and played it a couple times. The changes are generally small, but enough, and of a particular bent, for me to turn my back on it and soldier on with 6th. It's aiming for a more 'narrative' style of play where PCs have more say in whether bad things happen to them. Works for some sorts of games but IMO it subverts the horror I want out of CoC.
For similar reasons I'm skeptical of the upcoming return of Kult using the Dungeon World system.
venusboys3

Postby Klingsor » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:57 pm

There is a separate pulp book coming for 7th edition. Some of the older published scenarios are rather pulpy in style as well.

Our games usually start low key with quiet investigations and research then at some point it all kicks off and the PCs "go loud", I think last time it literally happened in a library.

I have 7th sitting on the shelf from the Kickstarter but last Friday my brother, our CoC master, started a small scenario he wanted to playtest for Q-Con, the PCs are hobos in the Oregon woods. There was some minor expressions of emotion when he mentioned that this will probably be his last scenario for 6th edition.
Klingsor

Previous

Return to Role-Players Inn