Want to get me some Coc

Releases, reports, rules, rumours and resources for your favourite Role-Playing Games (RPGs).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Want to get me some Coc

Postby Hastati » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:04 am

I would get a copy of 6th edition. It will work with all the supplements currently available and you can probably get a second hand copy cheap. The buzz on 7th is not universally great, so I'm holding off buying it (but will, I have every other version). You can get the pdf of 6th edition for only $16.95 at Chaosium.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Clayface » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:25 am

what are the major differences that are causing distress? I downloaded the freeby start version of 7th edition and apart from using 100% base for characteristics, and the easy pass/hard pass etc stuff I see no major shockers there speaking as an old RQ player
Clayface

Postby Hastati » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Sane Max wrote:what are the major differences that are causing distress?

I think some people feel things were changed for change's sake, not because the game needed fundamental fixing. It also means that all the old campaigns require a lot of work to convert to the new format. There is much more book keeping in 7th, up to three times as much info on the character sheet. Combat is much more involved, which kind of goes against the grain for an investigation game where combat was usually the last resort. Overall, the game has become much more complicated without a corresponding increase in fun, between the two new books (keeper book and Investigator's book) you are looking at over 600 pages of rules.

Like I said, I'm sticking to 6th for the time being, but I know I'll break down and buy 7th (or wait until the bugs are ironed out in 8th :wink: ).

You can read some reviews and threads on rpg.net by googling "Call of Cthulhu 7th edition rpg.net"
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Clayface » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:57 pm

'Combat is more complicated' yes, it looks it - but then if you are getting into combat more than occasionally, the odds are you are doing it wrong. But I agree with the generalised dislike of changing game systems. RPG systems are there to facilitate Role-playing. It works. Why change it?
Clayface

Postby Hastati » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Sane Max wrote:'Combat is more complicated' yes, it looks it - but then if you are getting into combat more than occasionally, the odds are you are doing it wrong. But I agree with the generalised dislike of changing game systems. RPG systems are there to facilitate Role-playing. It works. Why change it?

The vibe I get is that Chaosium are moving it to a more "pulp action" oriented game as opposed to the fairly faithful rendition of the mythos that the old game was. I think they are trying to bring new blood to the game by making more combat focused. Personally, I played CoC because it was able to emulate Lovecraftian horror so well (in most of our games the characters wound up dead, insane, or having to leg it from the bad guys and that's how everyone liked it). I don't need a game of guys hanging out of a speeding jalopy with Tommy-guns blazing away at Cthulhu, it just doesn't fit the mythos for me (but it may be perfect for others, I don't judge).
Hastati

Postby Clayface » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Hastati wrote:I don't judge the retarded morons.

True
Clayface

Postby matakishi » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:47 pm

CoC has always been % based. The D20 version was a parallel version aimed at the D&D crowd. It didn't have a sanity stat if I remember correctly and so I ignored it almost completely.
Although I have many, many CoC rulebooks of different vintages during play I use the paperback GW one that came in their boxed version. The auction adventure from the Asylum adventure book is my preferred starter scenario because it has good handouts and the players get to go to an auction and bid on magic items. Before they die.
matakishi

Postby Duff » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:40 pm

I've run the Haunted House scenario from the rule book at least 5 times now and it is probably my single favourite RPG scenario. Just perfect for a single session with CoC newbies.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Ajsalium » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:53 pm

May I suggest having a look at Trail of Cthulhu? It has a super-simple system, and is completely oriented towards investigation.
My fucking blog
Updated Jan 21st
Ajsalium

Postby Hastati » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:26 am

matakishi wrote:The D20 version was a parallel version aimed at the D&D crowd.

Let us never mention that foul abomination again.
Hastati

PreviousNext

Return to Role-Players Inn