Want to get me some Coc

Releases, reports, rules, rumours and resources for your favourite Role-Playing Games (RPGs).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Want to get me some Coc

Postby Clayface » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:10 pm

Having been bullied into playing AD&D (Seriously, running around a dungeon hitting goblins? I am 46 you know) and the GM Being a hard-pressed chap, I mentioned I would have no objection to running some sessions. But not D&D.

I was thinking maybe a spot of CoC. But can you still buy it, and crucially what mecahnic does it use nowadays? The D2O or the Percentile Basic Roleplay system?
Clayface

Re: Want to get me some Coc

Postby Uthalin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:27 pm

You can get it from Amazon, hasn't it always been % based?
You can download quick start rules for free from Chaosium.
Uthalin

Postby Clayface » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Uthalin wrote:hasn't it always been % based?

Allegedly not, for a while.
Clayface

Postby Duff » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Assuming we are talking about Call of Cthulhu, I thought a new edition (7th?) had just been released.

http://www.chaosium.com/
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby geronimo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:34 pm

We're playing 6th edition which is still BRP / %ile based, seems straightforward enough and doesn't require you to spend ages converting existing scenarios to a new mechanic. Gaslight version to tap into the Ripper Street/Penny Dreadful vibe.
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Clayface » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:38 pm

I have always thought the missing period was the 17th/18th century in America, it's the period so many stories reference, and I would love to see the killier players trying to cope with muzzle-loading muskets.
Clayface

Postby Skipp » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Ive been running some D&D, though I am only 42...

we've been having a blast, they met level draining monsters for the 1st time yesterday - 3 levels drained from 2 pc's...

maybe they'll run next time?

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby geronimo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Sane Max wrote:I have always thought the missing period was the 17th/18th century in America, it's the period so many stories reference, and I would love to see the killier players trying to cope with muzzle-loading muskets.

Cthulhu Invictus is an interesting setting if you want to go left field...though perhaps Roman Britain Cthulhu is a bit earlier than makes you comfortable :)
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Skipp » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:23 pm

Ive a copy of Cthulhu Dark ages and one of the viking belief monologues - I'm thinking you could run that as AD&D, just dont mention the cthulhu stuff/angle until you absolutely have to eat their brains from the inside out...

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby geronimo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Skipp wrote:Ive a copy of Cthulhu Dark ages and one of the viking belief monologues - I'm thinking you could run that as AD&D, just dont mention the cthulhu stuff/angle until you absolutely have to eat their brains from the inside out...

Yeah, got that too and have pretty much got that intended for when we go back to dark age D&D.

geronimo
Associate Member

Next

Return to Role-Players Inn