Are Dark Matter and/or Killjoys any good?

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Are Dark Matter and/or Killjoys any good?

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:46 pm

I've seen these series for sale in the DVD store and was wondering if they're any good?

Do they have aliens and pulpy Sci-Fi style plots, with strange techs and powers and weird cultures and societies, that sort of thing?

I know nothing about the shows, but from the boxes they look like they might be human centric, FireFly knockoffs, all gritty survival, melodrama and soap operatic interactions between the cast.

I prefer Sci-Fi to be more outward looking than that, if you know what I mean.
More alien menaces or exploring strange worlds and investigating enigmas than watching to see if the cast can finish a job and pay their bills on time or which of the main cast are going to get it on/kill each other next and when (usually none and never as these types of shows usually try to draw the tension out for as long as possible, usually long after I've ceased to care).

I'm hoping I'm wrong and these are the sort of thing I'd like. But I'd like to hear some other peoples opinions of the shows before I decide whether to buy them or not.

Any advice on this matter is appreciated. :)
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Re: Are Dark Matter and/or Killjoys any good?

Postby andrewbeasley » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:54 pm

I've enjoyed Dark Matter and looking forward to the new series in the next couple of days.

It is a bit Firefly and based around the interaction of the characters. Effects are OK (not to cheap) but sets limited to shipboard and a few planet falls. The main plot lines are between the characters and the factions / beliefs they have but its not soppy at all. There have been a few good plot twists and most of the tech is believable but its not outward looking at all.
andrewbeasley

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:05 pm

It sounds like a good successor to Firefly. Not really my thing but maybe I'll pick it up when it comes down in price a bit.

Thanks for the help. :beer:
Australian Dawn

Postby Nuclear Abortion Technician » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:55 am

Killjoys is sorta alright, I guess. But that is because of the slim pickings of decent sci-fi...
Never got into Dark Matter, but a friend of mine is keen on it, although he isn't that discerning about Sci Fi.

Killjoys does have that awful modern tendency to have the main characters "troubled by a dark past" which then derails the series as it crops up again and again and again until it becomes the main antagonist. Like all those awful "supernatural" shows that proliferated in the wake of Twilight...

Don't know if you have read "The Expanse" series of books by James Corey (a pen name for 2 blokes who worked as assistants for GRR Martin), but the TV series is pretty good. The books are very space opera instead of the "Hard Sci-Fi" some have alleged it to be, and the TV show has its problems, but character development does not seem to be one of them.

If only Iain Banks were still around to have creative control over a film or TV series adaptation of his works.
Nuclear Abortion Technician

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for the advice. :beer:

I haven't read The Expanse series, but I'll have a look at the TV series next time I go to the DVD store.
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Could someone tell me if there are any aliens in these shows, or just humans?
Australian Dawn

Postby andrewbeasley » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Australian Dawn wrote:Could someone tell me if there are any aliens in these shows, or just humans?

I cannot remember 'anything' other than humanoids in Dark Matter - even then I think they are classic human and no prosthetics unless the androids face is softened slightly.
andrewbeasley

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:07 pm

andrewbeasley wrote:
Australian Dawn wrote:Could someone tell me if there are any aliens in these shows, or just humans?

I cannot remember 'anything' other than humanoids in Dark Matter - even then I think they are classic human and no prosthetics unless the androids face is softened slightly.

That seems a bit cheap doesn't it? :? Not much sense of wonder. :(

Thanks for the info. :beer:
Australian Dawn

Postby andrewbeasley » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Australian Dawn wrote:
andrewbeasley wrote:

That seems a bit cheap doesn't it? :? Not much sense of wonder. :(

Thanks for the info. :beer:

The whole program is the crew vs corporate factions. Almost reminds me of corporate warfare come Samurai vs Ronin where the SciFi aspect adds little but a basic setting.
andrewbeasley

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks. :)

I do prefer evil aliens to corporate CEOs though. :(
Australian Dawn

Next

Return to TV Zone