Star Trek Discovery

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Postby Condottiero » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 pm

*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Hastati » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 pm

Watched the first episode and it was pretty meh. I'll give it a chance to develop before I totally switch off.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 am

Hastati wrote:Watched the first episode and it was pretty meh. I'll give it a chance to develop before I totally switch off.

Did it seem like it was set in the original Trek universe?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Hastati » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:06 pm

It definitely seems more TOS than TNG. Second episode wasn't horrible.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Condottiero » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:06 pm

It's Abrams' Kelvin universe, explaining technological differences with the TOS and TNG: The Federation didn't have holographic communications til near the end of Deep Space 9. Astral projection Vulcan mind meld was never in any of the prior shows, it's more like Jedi technique.

Other than references to the setting and a few names, nothing about it resembled TOS or TNG - it's like the Scarlet Letter movie vs the book.

Forget that the Klingons don't look like nor dress like Klingons, they don't act 'em, granted the prime timeline ones always fell short of the idealized warrior portrayed in the TOS, TNG and DS9. If this were a different species, I'd be okay with it, but Klingons were chosen for the name recognition.

The so called plot relies on everyone being dumber than the next guy to progress it and too much melodrama: I don't mind crew conflict, but it felt more like a copy of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, with the 1st officer acting like Baltar.

The show is just SJW lip service, but without any heart...

It's an old ship with a crew that have served for supposedly 7 years, yet none of 'em act like it, especially the 1st officer. I know it's the first two episodes, but the characters are so meh, more so than the ones on Voyager - Michelle Yeoh was decent, but can't recall any of the names. The one who did make an impression is Michael Burnham(Sonequa Martin-Green), but for the wrong reasons...

I don't care care if she's a female with a male name or transgendered, claimed by some, and raised by Sarek after her parents were murdered by Klingons, hence having self control issues, she's just not that sympathetic, yet we're supposed to root for her. :roll: I've seen every episode of Sons of Anarchy and while almost everyone was a bastard/bitch on that show, a least I could sympathize more or less with why Clay Morrow, Jax and Gemma Teller acted the way they did, but not so with Michael Burnham - it's like it's like listening to nails scraping a chalkboard. Spock had inner conflicts and Worf had a vendetta, but neither acted like the messiah and staged a mutiny and while was a whiny dick at times, he never betrayed Picard nor put the Enterprise in danger for personal reasons. Anyone notice that each time the camera focused on her, Sonequa Martin-Green would pose for a second - a lack of skill or narcissism? It's like watching TMP's Walt strutting their stuff, yet we wonder how they made it this far up the chain of command...
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Hastati » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Watched episode 3. This show really is dreck. I'm out.
Hastati

Postby Condottiero » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Hastati wrote:Watched episode 3. This show really is dreck. I'm out.

What do you think of the Orville?
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Hastati » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Haven't seen it yet.
Hastati

Postby kyotebue2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:24 am

Orville is better than Trek and feels like the original with a few dick jokes.
kyotebue2

Postby Condottiero » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:22 pm

kyotebue2 wrote:Orville is better than Trek and feels like the original with a few dick jokes.

The problem's with Fox's marketing...

Critics were expecting Family Guy in space, but ended up with a serious show with some varying in quality jokes thrown in, hence negative reviews from some. Seth MacFarlane wanted to do a Star Trek show, but was turned down by Paramount IIRC, so repackaged it, just like Blizzard did with World of Warcraft, after GW denied 'em the Warhammer rights.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

PreviousNext

Return to TV Zone