Star Trek Discovery

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:04 am

How's the science in The Orville? I'm just a bit worried that the "comedy" label means "we didn't bother doing the research/making it make sense", and if the show isn't funny, no matter how well acted and nostalgic it is, that could get annoying.

I know the old Star Trek series' weren't exactly hard science fiction, but they made an effort to at least seem scientifically plausible, for the most part.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Condottiero » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Australian Dawn wrote:How's the science in The Orville? I'm just a bit worried that the "comedy" label means "we didn't bother doing the research/making it make sense", and if the show isn't funny, no matter how well acted and nostalgic it is, that could get annoying.

I know the old Star Trek series' weren't exactly hard science fiction, but they made an effort to at least seem scientifically plausible, for the most part.

It's not a comedy, even though there is some casual humor, Fox ad department is clueless, and Seth MacFarlane IIRC, is annoyed that it's marketed as one. In Lt. Alara Kitan was shot and Commander Kelly Grayson was tortured and it wasn't like in Hot Shots Part Deux. As for the science, it's no different than ToS/TnG, but better than what passes for such on Star Trek: Angsty.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 am

Condottiero wrote:
Australian Dawn wrote:How's the science in The Orville? I'm just a bit worried that the "comedy" label means "we didn't bother doing the research/making it make sense", and if the show isn't funny, no matter how well acted and nostalgic it is, that could get annoying.

It's not a comedy, even though there is some casual humor, Fox ad department is clueless, and Seth MacFarlane IIRC, is annoyed that it's marketed as one. In Lt. Alara Kitan was shot and Commander Kelly Grayson was tortured and it wasn't like in Hot Shots Part Deux. As for the science, it's no different than ToS/TnG, but better than what passes for such on Star Trek: Angsty.

I would have been interested in seeing how it would have worked as a comedy series, but I'm glad someone is making something like the old Trek series'.
Sci-fi seems to be getting overly action orientated and I'm a bit sick of the "heroes" being outlaws, assassins and mercenaries.
I'll wait and get it on DVD when it comes out.
Star Trek Discovery too, probably.
Australian Dawn

Postby Condottiero » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Australian Dawn wrote:
Condottiero wrote:

I would have been interested in seeing how it would have worked as a comedy series, but I'm glad someone is making something like the old Trek series'.
Sci-fi seems to be getting overly action orientated and I'm a bit sick of the "heroes" being outlaws, assassins and mercenaries.
I'll wait and get it on DVD when it comes out.
Star Trek Discovery too, probably.

Why not watch a few episodes, before deciding on which one to spend your money? I don't mind sci-fi with focusing on fringe elements, as long as it's good, like Farscape.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:23 am

I'm a fan of Farscape too (I wish Ben Browder had a bigger cameo in GOTG vol2), and I don't mind shows that focus on fringe elements, I just think it seems to have become the norm these days and it's good to have some variety.
Australian Dawn

Postby Condottiero » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:36 am

Australian Dawn wrote:I'm a fan of Farscape too (I wish Ben Browder had a bigger cameo in GOTG vol2), and I don't mind shows that focus on fringe elements, I just think it seems to have become the norm these days and it's good to have some variety.

A shame they Farscape didn't another season, even a shot one, instead of a rushed Peacekeeper Wars miniseries with a disappointing ending. Was looking forward to Defiance, lost interest in watching Season 3, as it felt like a mess and desperate attempts to make the aliens sympathetic...
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:06 am

I wish they'd been able to have a season of Farscape devoted to Chiana and her race's schemes to take over the galaxy. Also it would have been nice if they'd been able to devote a season to Rygel reclaiming his throne.

I've only seen season one of Defiance. The sister of the mayor got on my nerves. She seemed to constantly be up to her eyes in trouble but remained hopelessly blind to the fact until the last possible moment. She may have had a heart of gold but it came with brains of mush. Zero common sense.
Australian Dawn

Postby Hastati » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:52 pm

First season of Defiance was good. I gave up half way through season 2.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:37 am

Hastati wrote:First season of Defiance was good. I gave up half way through season 2.

What made you give up? I was going to buy series two on DVD eventually but maybe I shouldn't bother?
Australian Dawn

Postby Hastati » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:38 pm

I just found it boring and really didn’t care about the characters.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Previous

Return to TV Zone