Elfstones

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Elfstones

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:50 pm

This is where you're all going to say,'yeah, I've known that for ages, you gormless twat.'

But they are making/have made a TV series of Terry Brooks' Shannara books:
http://www.mtv.com/shows/shannara

I can't decide whether this is a good or bad thing...
An Absent Humphrey

Re: Elfstones

Postby Clayface » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:35 pm

good thing - It can't spoil the books.

good thing - it can only be an improvement on the books.

Bad thing - if you hurl a tv out of a moving train window you get into a lot more trouble than if you do it with a book.

I would rather read the WHOLE of the Thomas Covenant series from start to finish than 'The Sword of Shanara' again. I was about 13 and even then recoiled in disgust.
Clayface

Postby kawasaki » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Sane Max wrote:
I would rather read the WHOLE of the Thomas Covenant series from start to finish than 'The Sword of Shanara' again. I was about 13 and even then recoiled in disgust.

The masochism runs deep in you doesn't it?

I bet you've read all the Dune books too, crying softly with self-hatred at every page?
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby andrewbeasley » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Sane Max wrote:...

I've just sent mine to Oxfam - with luck they will burn them to keep folk warm over winter rather than sell them...

As for the TV series - I hope its nothing like the original stories but interesting.
andrewbeasley

Postby geronimo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 pm

Couldn't make it more than 10 mins into the show - which correlates with about as far as I got with the books. It's Beverly Hills 90210 with elves.
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Duff » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Sane Max wrote:good thing - It can't spoil the books.

good thing - it can only be an improvement on the books.

Bad thing - if you hurl a tv out of a moving train window you get into a lot more trouble than if you do it with a book.

Testify Brother Max. That was exactly my experience as well, the only fantasy I read that was worse was the third of a Gor book I managed before throwing it in the fire.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby JollyBob » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:22 am

I enjoyed the first Shannara book when I was twelve, then read LOTR and realised what a rip off it was.
Sequels were really lazy retreads of the same plot.

Still thought they were better than anything David Eddings has written though.
Mongrel In Training
JollyBob

Postby Clayface » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:00 am

I still rather like the 'Belgariad' books, they are lazy retreads of every Fantasy Trope, but the characters were sorta fun. The sequel set of five was one of the most shameless things I have ever experienced. It takes a very courageous author to put these words in his character's mouths;
'Not-Gandalf, why is it the same things keep happening to us this time round as in the fist 5 books?'
'Ah,Not-Wart, that's because the prophecy is the same so the same things will happen over and over'
'doesn't that mean if we do the same things as we did last time in a different order we can get the jump on the enemy?'
'Brilliant! Oooh look a comedy Oirishman. Didn't we find the Mumbletyspoon of Doom when we met a comedy Zummerset-man in book 3?'

I Cannot believe you read 'The Sword of Shitara' before 'The Lord of the Rings'. That must be a bit like being raised to believe Tofu is food and then being given a steak and Kidney Pudding. Did you start foaming at the mouth and screaming when you read LotR?
Clayface

Postby Sondergaard » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:05 am

Is this on in the UK? I'd give it a shot out of curiosity.
Sondergaard

Postby Clayface » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:11 am

Sondergaard wrote:Is this on in the UK? I'd give it a shot out of curiosity.

You have read the above thread and want to 'give it a shot out of curiosity?' :roll:

It's just possible my sweaty bell-end tastes like Cadbury's Chocolate. why not give it a suck, just out of curiosity?

Do you have a Sinclair C5 and a couple of cases of New Coke parked in your garage, or does the Edsel take up all the space?
Clayface

Next

Return to TV Zone