Beowulf

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Beowulf

Postby Clayface » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:17 pm

TV series, just started, wifey taped it.

Cracking or cacking? I fear it will be shite, but am eager to be told I am wrong.
Clayface

Re: Beowulf

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:53 pm

I've not seen it, but I would bet my right bollock that it has as much to do with the Beowulf story as the Spielberg 'War of the Worlds' shitfest had to do with Wells' book.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby Clayface » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:46 pm

It seems your remaining testicle is safe in the hands of the gibbering Chimp-People that appear to be making TV these days.

From the Torygraph

Cheap-looking special effects, a bland hero and barely any resemblance to the source material makes this Beowulf a flop, says Ed Power

Long before Game of Thrones, Beowulf was the lusty fantasy saga to rule them all. The Old English poem is one of the most revered in Western literature – but it's also a rollicking adventure, crammed with warriors, monsters and paroxysms of violence that make GoT look like a picnic.

So it is disappointing that many of the tale's darkly compelling elements have been dispensed with in ITV's £17 million, 13-part adaptation of the 8th-century epic. Perhaps the biggest letdown is Beowulf himself. The eponymous hero (Kieran Bew) was no longer a mysterious swordsman from across the seas but a bland hunk seeking to make peace with his adopted family following the death of his stepfather.

Complicating matters was the fact that Beowulf had been raised by Hrothgar, king – OK, "thane" – of the quasi-mythic, geographically unspecific "Shieldlands", and thus found himself plunged into a courtly intrigue upon returning to pay his final respects (the patriarch was portrayed in flashback by William Hurt in full twinkling greybeard mode).

Actually, "intrigue" is a wild overstatement. Viewers steeped in Game of Thrones’s vipers' pit of skulduggery will have found the machinations at Heorot Hall crushingly tedious, with Beowulf's slithering step-brother Slean (Downton Abbey’s Ed Speleers) plainly the untrustworthy villain and the usually excellent Joanne Whalley one dimensional as upstanding new ruler Rheda.

As is now obligatory for any self-respecting swords and sorcery romp, there were occasional flashes of heaving cleavage (none too explicit for the pre-watershed time slot). But the vast budget appeared to have been splurged mainly on grooming products for a magnificently bearded cast, while the special effects resembled something from a late Nineties action movie and were certainly insufficiently realistic to scare any children who happened to be watching.

Only in the final minutes were we introduced to the monstrous Grendel – re-imagined as a furrier version of Tolkien's craven anti-hero Gollum. He hissed and slithered around Heorot Hall, a spindly annoyance rather than the unstoppable abomination brought to life with vivid terror in the poem. However, the beast's motives were never explained and his presence felt entirely disconnected from the main thrust of the story, which focused on Beowulf's familial angst and potential romance with tomboyish healer Elvina (Laura Donnelly).

Judged as medieval soap opera, Beowulf delivered the occasional cheesy thrill. Yet it lacked the otherworldly flourishes and rich world-building of the source material – or of Game of Thrones for that matter. There was plenty of blockbuster sparkle here but little true magic.

Best comment on article 'forget Game Of Thrones it is not even half as good as BBC dramas like Merlin and Atlantis.'

Ouch
Clayface

Postby kawasaki » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Fuck Beowulf, and the monster he rode in on. What the fuck is a Commie-pinko liberal doing reading the Telegraph?
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby Clayface » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:48 am

Know your middle-english minority fearing enemy, kimosaka
Clayface

Postby MartinR » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:18 pm

It was really pretty poor. Yes, both 'Merlin' and 'Atlantis' are better.

Best film version of Beowulf I've seen is the Icelandic one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402057/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
MartinR

Postby geronimo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:11 pm

The opening titles so desperately wanted to be Game of Thrones it was painful.
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Clayface » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:34 am

From T'GrAuni&d.

what was the Beowulf piece of godrot? Return to the Shieldlands bore as much relation to the old English epic poem as would Tolstoy to a note for the postie. Quite why ITV chose this as a title is a mystery – actually it’s utterly not – they were hoping to cash in on a spurious Game of Thrones/ Tolkien/ Vikings vibe that might loosely be described as Saxonpunk without doing any of the work or betraying any understanding of what makes a hero or a story. Plenty of daffy names – Slean, Barghest, Hrothgar Healfdene also known as Thane of Heorot – but, and now here’s a singular thought, I truly don’t care! Everyone might as well be have been called Norbert Dentressangle or Gyppo McScoosh. On they scrabbled with Abrecan, the Huskarl, the Mud-Born. It is starting gently to grieve me that I briefly possess this information.

War and Peace’s budget came in at £28,000 a minute, and for that we got the river Neva resplendent with brigantines and windjammers, bejewelled wintry palaces in that subtle Farrow & Ball icy mustard so beloved of the Russkis, collars high enough to hide the stiffest of necks, and no matter that they ran out of sweeties before the battle scenes. Beowulf’s came in at a boggling £29,000 a minute, and for this they barely managed to slather everyone in mud and stick Gollum’s face on an outsize dust bunny. Expensive, ill-scripted bahookie

And that is the least damning review I have read so far!

:D
Clayface

Return to TV Zone