Amazing what you learn about history off the telly

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Amazing what you learn about history off the telly

Postby kawasaki » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:31 pm

Death metal? Do me a fucking favour, do I look tone deaf?
T-shirts? Don't wear 'em, not a chav. Or a fat, smelly gamer.
Shopping malls? Not if I can bleedin' help it pal. That's what the wife does.
Cinemas? Full of shouty chavs in T-shirts. I'll wait for the DVD.
High schools? Not these past 40 years.

The kendo was real though. We didn't all spend our twenties and thirties jacking off in mom's basement wondering what real girls were like. Or pretending to be in the army...;)
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby pedro » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:48 pm

kawasaki wrote:And I see that the Roman 'C' hasn't got any better since I was at school. It's always hard, like 'K' = Kaesar. Except when it's not = Sisero. Or Boudikka, queen of the Iseeni :roll:

I'm sure the Romans made the rules of Latin up as they went along, knowing that it would piss off future generations of schoolkids forced to try and make sense of the bollocks.

Latin and all the languages that came after it are full of exceptions (which to be truly honest it's a pain most of the time)
C is one of the cases: it's pronounced K most of the times but if it precedes am I on an E then it is pronounced as S, I'm not sure about the AE bit since we don't have that nonsense in Portugal

That's what we have to put up in order to get all those aqueducts, marvelous they are!
Cheers,
Pedro
pedro

Postby Montgomery Burns Jr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:06 am

Surprising how much BS was in that show - they brushed over so much with "cool" phrases and faff to get the morons interested in the Celts. Particularly annoying was their inference that Celtic Britain was an homogeneous land and culture all connected and not the reality of petty kingdoms kicking fuck out of their near neighbours on regular basis. Also they failed to mention the Romans failed to capture the whole of the island just the nearest bits where half the people just let them in.
Montgomery Burns Jr

Postby Clayface » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:05 am

pedro wrote:
kawasaki wrote:And I see that the Roman 'C' hasn't got any better since I was at school. It's always hard, like 'K' = Kaesar. Except when it's not = Sisero. Or Boudikka, queen of the Iseeni :roll:

I'm sure the Romans made the rules of Latin up as they went along, knowing that it would piss off future generations of schoolkids forced to try and make sense of the bollocks.

Latin and all the languages that came after it are full of exceptions (which to be truly honest it's a pain most of the time)
C is one of the cases: it's pronounced K most of the times but if it precedes am I on an E then it is pronounced as S, I'm not sure about the AE bit since we don't have that nonsense in Portugal

That's what we have to put up in order to get all those aqueducts, marvelous they are!

Sisero, Seesar etc are all just pronunsiations that we chose for attractiveness sake, in the same way it's almost impossible to call Pompeius Magnus anything but 'Pompey', and of course 'Mark Anthony'. I blame Shakespeare.

IIRC Sisero WAS pronounsed Kikero. It's from the Latin for Chickpea.
Clayface

Postby Clayface » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:13 pm

In 'proper' romans-go-home Latin, 'C' was pretty much always K. I can't think of any exceptions.
'AE' is properly AYE
'AI' is EYE-ee
'AU' is OW, as in Cow
J is properly soft, more a y or I
US is a longer sound than we usually use, more an 'ooss' like pooss in boots.

So 'Gaius Julius Caesar' is 'Geye-ooss yul-yooss Kaisar.' Not quite so badass is it?
and of course it's 'I Clowdius' (my brother always called him 'Clavdivs')

Later on the Romans forgot how to speak proper latin, and famously 'Quo Vadis' is not good latin at all. You would expect better from God Allfucking mighty wouldnt you? When I was at school it was believed that the Romans in France, Spain, and Italy were speaking something a lot more like French, Spanish and Italian than like pukka latin by the end of the empire. That may not be the established orthodoxy now of course.

*please note, no I don;t speak Latin. does anyone who went through a British education actually speak it? You don't learn Latin, you learn to put up with it and avoid thwacks round the head with a Book.
Clayface

Postby Duff » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:51 pm

kawasaki wrote:
Him with his nancy Celtic sword and me with a katana, now. I might be a bit old and rusty, but I'd still bet on me. ;)

Why? Nothing special about Katanas. The better swordsman wins, not the better sword (not that the katana is a particularly good sword). I haven't watched the second episode (the battle recreations in the first were so shite I kinda gave up despite my growing crush on Dr Roberts), but if it was either Nick Loades or an historical Celtic warrior wielding the sword, my money is definitely on him cutting you to ribbons.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Duff » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:01 pm

Montgomery Burns Jr wrote:Also they failed to mention the Romans failed to capture the whole of the island just the bits worth having.

Fixed that for you. You're welcome.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Clayface » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Montgomery Burns Jr wrote:Also they failed to mention the Romans failed to capture the whole of the island

'Capture' it? what did they do, lure it into the back of a transit Van?

"Ave, Britannia, do you want to see some puppies? Your Mum asked me to give you a lift home. what's that? Your friend Alba? No, she can fucking walk home, the ugly Ginger tart."
Clayface

Postby Montgomery Burns Jr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Duff wrote:
Montgomery Burns Jr wrote:Also they failed to mention the Romans failed to capture the whole of the island just the bits worth having.

Fixed that for you. You're welcome.

To quote my favourite film "...they tried and failed? They tried and died." Some of us may be ginger and penniless, but we fucking know how to fight! :x

*Prize for naming the film.
Montgomery Burns Jr

Postby kawasaki » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:49 am

Sane Max wrote:
Montgomery Burns Jr wrote:Also they failed to mention the Romans failed to capture the whole of the island

'Capture' it? what did they do, lure it into the back of a transit Van?

"Ave, Britannia, do you want to see some puppies? Your Mum asked me to give you a lift home. what's that? Your friend Alba? No, she can fucking walk home, the ugly Ginger tart."

:lol:
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

PreviousNext

Return to TV Zone