The Last Kingdom

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

The Last Kingdom

Postby Altius » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:06 am

Watched the first episode of this show, which is based on Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories, and I really enjoyed it. For some odd reason, it started here but won't be seen till later this month in the UK even though it's a BBC show. In case anyone's planning to watch it, I won't give any spoilers. But it's got Rutger Hauer in it!

I also thought this intro was pretty cool:

http://youtu.be/qdL0TUodnpU
I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself - what would a bad man do?
Altius

Re: The Last Kingdom

Postby Duff » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Why has he got a square shield? :?
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Altius » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:33 pm

Duff wrote:Why has he got a square shield? :?

Eh, don't think too hard on it. There are several other costume sins I spotted, but that's show business. It was still a good story.

Just a guess, but the show runners probably did the square shields to differentiate them from the Danes. To the average viewer, a Dane and a Saxon would look remarkably similar and it could quickly become confusing.
I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself - what would a bad man do?
Altius

Postby Bronshtein » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:27 am

Maybe he's Pictish twice removed on his mother's side three generations ago or something? ':)
Bronshtein

Postby Hastati » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:40 am

They didn't want to cut corners on the show.

I'll get me coat.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Mr Ed » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:49 am

I did fear corner cutting on budgets. I thought it was going to be like Sharpe where you've permanently got the feeling the extras are sprinting round behind you to get back in shot each time he walks down a line.

I expect Altius has nailed it on the shield, though perhaps they're also trying to give the Saxons a bit of a civilising link back to the Romans. Overall the costuming was pretty good. You can even begin to forgive them stirrups by this stage, and so far everyone's got down to fight and formed a battle line rather than the usual melee nonsense.
Confusius he say 'War not sort out who right, war sort out who left...'
Mr Ed

The Last Kingdom

Postby kawasaki » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Not great so far is it?

When did Anglo-Saxons have square shields?
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby Duff » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:17 pm

Did you not read any of the posts on this thread Kawasaki? I thought it was quite good, at least no-one was using a two handed sword and the battle scene had about the right numbers for the period. Certainly a step up from season 3 of Vikings (though Katherine Winnick would be a very welcome addition to the show). I do hope the lead actor gets a fucking haircut though.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby --- » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Duff wrote:Did you not read any of the posts on this thread Kawasaki?

No, he started anther one so they got merged.

I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would.
---
Committee Member

Postby Montgomery Burns Jr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:28 pm

I thought it was OK and despite the square shields, seems a bit more realistic than Vikings, which is basically Sons of Anarchy with Longships and axes instead of motorbikes and guns, even the lead actor in each look like twins.

* I actually like both those shows for throw away entertainment, but they are not very realistic
Montgomery Burns Jr

Next

Return to TV Zone