Falling skies - season 4

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Falling skies - season 4

Postby Condottiero » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:10 am

Australian Dawn wrote:
Condottiero wrote:How about that kid who betrays everyone and gets his dad killed, since he wants to return to the "Borg Collective"? I forgot what happened to him after getting rejected by the aliens.

Disappeared between seasons I think, like a disturbingly large segment of the cast unfortunately*. I was annoyed that the old guy who developed the radio to block skitter communications (with extra patriotic power from being hooked up to a flagpole of course, because America :lol: ) disappeared that way, along with that whole subplot it seems (the aliens adapted between seasons apparently, as you do when the enemy develops a weapon that attacks one of your senses and your species' mode of communication. :roll:) Still, I like the Alien's design and the basic idea of the show, so I'll be watching the rest of the series.
It'd be nice to see how the rest of the world is fairing during the alien occupation though, hopefully they deal with that in episodes I haven't seen yet.

*I liked how when that kid's father sacrificed himself to let the others get away he made the oldest Mason boy promise to look out for his son. I'd be surprised if the two boys even shared any dialog after that episode as his kid got more and more screwed up... and then died off camera between seasons with barely a mention. :lol:

IIRC, an antenna was required for amplification and what better than a metal flagpole? The old guy science expert was cool and a decent actor, based on his few scenes, so they killed him off and I think mentioned it happened during Tom's absence. Speaking of absences, for an American production and with Steven Spielberg's name on it, the producers were lousy with geography and the concept of distance: Tom going from one end of the country to the other in a few days by foot. :lol: I didn't mind the tech arm's race, but did you notice that whenever anyone in the resistance joins Team Mason, they act almost lobotomized, losing any sense of initiative when Tom's not around, like with the military men?

I wanted that kid killed off on screen, preferably by an alien right after the rejection, with a look of shock on his face... :twisted:
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:19 am

Condottiero wrote:IIRC, an antenna was required for amplification and what better than a metal flagpole? The old guy science expert was cool and a decent actor, based on his few scenes, so they killed him off and I think mentioned it happened during Tom's absence. Speaking of absences, for an American production and with Steven Spielberg's name on it, the producers were lousy with geography and the concept of distance: Tom going from one end of the country to the other in a few days by foot. :lol: I didn't mind the tech arm's race, but did you notice that whenever anyone in the resistance joins Team Mason, they act almost lobotomized, losing any sense of initiative when Tom's not around, like with the military men?

I wanted that kid killed off on screen, preferably by an alien right after the rejection, with a look of shock on his face... :twisted:

Yeah they justified the Flagpole thing, but I could see it it coming. I'm just surprised they haven't found a way to broadcast American Freedom (TM) from the statue of Liberty to really drive the point home. :lol:

And some of those people that suddenly became Tom's loyal disciples were power mad would be tyrants at each others throats before he came along. I guess all they needed was one of Tom's tortured historical comparison speeches to convince them of the error of their ways. :lol:
It must be difficult for him, trying to figure out which Aliens represent the French and which represent the Indians etc., it must get confusing. :lol:
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 am

I'm now watching series four, so far Tom has cosplayed the superhero Ghostrider, led a POW breakout, gotten almost everybody killed, and become an astronaut and flow to the moon with his Jedi two year old daughter (she flew).
He continues to spew increasingly inappropriate historical quotes and anecdotes seemingly at random, and even the advanced warrior aliens have started claiming the American civil war as where they learnt their tactics (presumably in a desperate last ditch effort at communication having realised that Tom only speaks an archaic America specific dialect of Tamarian).
Also Sith.
And that's leaving out the REALLY crazy shit.

Spielberg must have been on crack when he was making this.
Australian Dawn

Postby Condottiero » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:32 am

Australian Dawn wrote:I'm now watching series four, so far Tom has cosplayed the superhero Ghostrider, led a POW breakout, gotten almost everybody killed, and become an astronaut and flow to the moon with his Jedi two year old daughter (she flew).
He continues to spew increasingly inappropriate historical quotes and anecdotes seemingly at random, and even the advanced warrior aliens have started claiming the American civil war as where they learnt their tactics (presumably in a desperate last ditch effort at communication having realised that Tom only speaks an archaic America specific dialect of Tamarian).
Also Sith.
And that's leaving out the REALLY crazy shit.

Spielberg must have been on crack when he was making this.

It's just Speilberg being Speilberg...

Do you recall the miniseries Taken? Watched all episodes as broadcast on Sci-Fi and it turned out to be a letdown.

IIRC, there was the Starchild was the butt of jokes on the IMDb forum, especially when compared to the 80s V mini-series character.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Condottiero » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:40 am

Australian Dawn wrote:
Condottiero wrote:IIRC, an antenna was required for amplification and what better than a metal flagpole? The old guy science expert was cool and a decent actor, based on his few scenes, so they killed him off and I think mentioned it happened during Tom's absence. Speaking of absences, for an American production and with Steven Spielberg's name on it, the producers were lousy with geography and the concept of distance: Tom going from one end of the country to the other in a few days by foot. :lol: I didn't mind the tech arm's race, but did you notice that whenever anyone in the resistance joins Team Mason, they act almost lobotomized, losing any sense of initiative when Tom's not around, like with the military men?

Yeah they justified the Flagpole thing, but I could see it it coming. I'm just surprised they haven't found a way to broadcast American Freedom (TM) from the statue of Liberty to really drive the point home. :lol:

And some of those people that suddenly became Tom's loyal disciples were power mad would be tyrants at each others throats before he came along. I guess all they needed was one of Tom's tortured historical comparison speeches to convince them of the error of their ways. :lol:
It must be difficult for him, trying to figure out which Aliens represent the French and which represent the Indians etc., it must get confusing. :lol:

Other than that guy in Charleston, I didn't take the other guys to be power mad, just former and active military people annoyed at an amateur lecturing them on strategy and tactics. On any other show, his theories would crumble in action, but not on FS. :roll:
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:50 am

What about them letting Pope keep setting up his biker gangs in the middle of their resistance cell/base of operations? They kept acting as if they were an elite military unit or something. Pope town FFS. :roll:
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:19 pm

Condottiero wrote:Other than that guy in Charleston, I didn't take the other guys to be power mad, just former and active military people annoyed at an amateur lecturing them on strategy and tactics. On any other show, his theories would crumble in action, but not on FS. :roll:
Yeah the military guy in Charleston who declared martial law and the President he threw in jail (another history teacher with delusions of grandeur) both seemed unhinged to me. Sure the President was going wacko but I didn't see his general trying very hard to stand up to him, until he saw a chance to take over. It all seemed a bit premeditated to me, but maybe I'm being cynical.
Both turned into loyal followers under Tom's leadership though, until they were quickly killed off to keep the limelight squarely on our hero anyway. :lol:

I may come off as if I don't like the show but it's pretty good considering the ambitious scope and subject matter, and the guy who plays Tom can act, I can hardly believe he's the same guy as in the Librarians series.
I just wish it wasn't so corny. :lol:

I'd also like to see another country's take on the subject, it will be interesting to compare it with the upcoming War of the Worlds by the BBC, which I imagine is likely to be the closest comparison we're likely to get in the near future.
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:29 am

I've just seen the last episode of the last season, pure American cheese, wailing songs about America, last fight on Lincoln monument, speech with endless cheering at the mention of America, I can't remember having ever seen a more sincere, unselfconscious display of over the top nationalism played absolutely straight without the slightest irony, It was amazing. Other nations take notes.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, it was a thing to behold.

They threw every alien invasion plot I can think of at this. They had ancient aliens, killer aliens hatching from eggs (I never saw what they were shooting at, did they even bother designing the killer fishhead young? :lol: ) Evil clones, alien human hybrids, Christ like sacrifices and resurrections, Alien Queen boss fights (in the rubble of the shattered Lincoln memorial for extra patriot points), you name it they had it. :lol:

They shat all over Pope's character development and derailed his storyline to make Tom look good, bastardising him into a crazy cartoon supervillain so he could be completely dominated and degraded at the end.

Tom's old military commander was reduced to a crawling yes man and father figure to Tom (after one final good storyline where he saved the day).

They threw all sorts of ridiculous twists, love triangles and romantic soap opera plots at nearly every surviving character of the second Mass (all six or so) at every inappropriate moment, interrupting suspenseful scenes of stealthy alien fighting to do so.

The show really deserved better than this as a final season but they certainly gave it everything they had, you have to respect that.

It would make a great miniatures game, with the whole ancient aliens angle (like a prehistoric native American version of Stargate) the Assfanny (or whatever the fish heads were called) would make a great HOTTs army that could be fielded against Native Americans in the past, Post Apoc resistance fighters in the present, or other aliens.

I just wish I had the skills to make a Elizabethan collared alien spider queen squatting like a ominous bloated torso on top of the shattered legs of Lincoln's statue, like some hilariously obscene anti British propaganda cartoon image. :lol:

This show is a classic. Great stuff.
Australian Dawn

Previous

Return to TV Zone