Doctor Who

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Postby Rev Nice » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:31 pm

The theme sounds rather good there but it's far too quiet on the broadcast version and has been thought and designed with home cinema speakers in mind rather than the average tv setup.
The same thing happens when occasionally the dialogue gets drowned out by the music. On normal telly speakers it sounds like a cock up, on a separate speaker system, it'll sound great.

I know it was first impressions and I was also busy taking in the new titles but I just thought that half of that theme linked above just wasn't coming through on the telly.
Rev Nice
FU!UK Chair

Postby Grekwood » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:38 pm

i really enjoyed it ... was starting to really get fed up of the predictable adventures of doctor fun and his sidekick donna

but this was really good, had a mix of everything... liked matt, liked amy...liked the episode....even made me jump in one part :oops:

didn't like the theme tune though..that was just a little meh...
Grekwood

Postby Heresy Miniatures » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:25 am

I fucking loved it. I even quite liked the theme music cos it was mainly old school tune.

I reckon that ep was the best Dr Who I've seen in a long while, and I'm including the old stuff and I suspect the series is going to follow in that tone.
Smith was perfect, I totally forgot how young he was, he absolutely inhabited the role.
Try this at home - watch it a second time (I have done, already) and just try to imagine David Tennant saying some of the 'bragging' lines. And you know what, they are the same lines, it's definitely the Doctor, but I prefer Smith's more restrained delivery and quiet confidence over DT's overemphatic melodrama and vocal gurning. There's definite Troughton in there, which will come to the fore more in ,later episodes (eg that clip of him asking the vamps to tell him the plan).

Biggest possible difference between this series and the previous four (and a bit)? I think it will be a noticeable lack of the cynical pessimism that RTD brought to the table.

Lots of great moments (stop reading if you want to avoid spoilers, but you shouldn't read this thread anyway in that case) but my favourites would have to include
'Who's that supposed to be? What a load of rubbish!'
'Have I got the sort of face that nobody listens to...again?'
the 'Who Da Man' cringe was well played.
Sir Patrick Moore coming on to Geoff. Delete your internet History, Geoff!
The young Amelia was brilliant and the whole food scene in the kitchen was cracking me right up.
Grabbing clothes from the hospital changing room - Pertwee/McGann ref for the win!
'Here's how to travel at the speed of light...with two diagrams...and...a...joke!'
Tardis thankfully looks great on screen compared to the pics from the Radio Times.
I realise that Matt Smith looks a bit like Chris Morris...

And a nice subtle clues as to the 'mystery' of Amy Pond - lack of parental units, moved down from Scotland, some weird readings on the scanner in the Tardis that the Dr noticed and switched off. And she flicked a switch on the control panel for some reason...

Only dodgy bits for me were the ropey CGI fx esp the Atraxi, which I assume is due to budget slashing.

Other than that, looked gorgeous.

I watched the End of Time beforehand, and the new ep seemed to be much more like the Doctor Who I wanted to see.

Dunno what anyone's kids thought about it though!
Heresy Miniatures

Postby Rev Nice » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:50 am

Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of the "Good Riddance RTD and Tennant" stuff that is popping up in places.
It won't be long before these same people are clamouring for Moffat to leave. It's what these sort of people do.
I remember the insane hatred that Graham Williams used to get. JNT replaced him and was seen as a god for all of five minutes.
I notice with some amusement that there is still some of the joyless brigade complaining that the programme isn't different enough to the past few years. Presumably they want 25 minute long episodes, shot on videotape.

Bit confused by the CGI comment there, Andy. The stuff looked like the same quality it always is, to me.
Rev Nice
FU!UK Chair

Postby redzed » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:13 am

Rev Nice wrote:... gave me deep, deep geeky joy.

yuk.
redzed

Postby The Dozing Dragon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:51 am

Missed the bloody thing as I was painting Clan Knobrot :cry: Waiting for it to come on 'virgin on demand' (which sounds better than it is............)
The Dozing Dragon

Postby aliensurfer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:48 am

caught the end of it, seemed quite good. Saw a pic in one of the tabloids yesterday of miss Pond wearing a slight shirt covering her tits and a small pair or nearly transparent light blue knickers - she's pretty fit.

I'll have to catch this on Iplayer if/when I can stop playing BFBC2 :oops:
aliensurfer

Postby anevilgiraffe » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:39 am

Sir Patrick Moore coming on to Geoff. Delete your internet History, Geoff!

he wasn't... Moore was coming on to Annette Crosby, he asks who the young lady in the room was... there were no gay jokes for a change... the Doctor told Jeff to get a girlfriend...

not on iplayer yet, probably waiting for the BBC3 repeat, so will have to watch that then...

Gailbraithe wrote:I actually do know better than the dictionary.
anevilgiraffe
Associate Member

Postby --- » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:49 am

anevilgiraffe wrote:not on iplayer yet, probably waiting for the BBC3 repeat, so will have to watch that then...

Yes it is.... watched it again last night :oops:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... enth_Hour/
---
Committee Member

Postby anevilgiraffe » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:51 am

fuckity... looked for it at 3 when I couldn't sleep... bloody virgin

Gailbraithe wrote:I actually do know better than the dictionary.
anevilgiraffe
Associate Member

PreviousNext

Return to TV Zone