Altered Carbon

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Altered Carbon

Postby Dwindling Gravitas » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:55 pm

So, today Netflix released 10x episodes of it's new TV treatment of Richard K Morgan's cyber-noir trilogy (the first book, basically ... can't imagine they'll do Broken Angels and Woken Furies, but ... who knows?).

I know I'm a newb here, and I know you cunts don't know me from Jack, and I couldn't give a fuck either way, but really ... this is IMHO the best sci-fi that's been screened (TV or movies) since N-BSG or Firefly ... easy.

If you don't have Netflix (I don't), EZTV's your best friend (but do VPN!).
Dwindling Gravitas

Re: Altered Carbon

Postby Sondergaard nli » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 pm

I agree absolutely. It's 'inspired' by Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Akira and even Dollhouse (not just because it's got Dichen Lachman in it, but that's a nice touch).
Bags of blood, guts and nudity but that's par for the course these days and none of it felt gratuitous. It also has a genuinely, intelligent, enjoyable and interesting storyline. Cast is good, even Joel Kinnaman who I rather unfairly thought was crap after RoboCop and Suicide Squad. The star for me was Kovacs' ex-marine sidekick and his wife. A great screen couple considering their situation.
Possibly most importantly, it has an actual ending. A second season is certainly doable but if there isn't one we're not left with a ridiculous 'gimme a sequel please' cliffhanger.
Overall, a must watch for me. If you want to see a 6 foot plus bald actor believably play a gang member, grandmother and crime boss over the course of two episodes then this is the show for you, Great stuff.
Sondergaard nli

Postby sane max nli » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 am

Sondergaard nli wrote:Possibly most importantly, it has an actual ending.

ooooh REALLY? That's me sold. I swore off all American and American-style tv series for that reason.

Pat
sane max nli

Postby kyotebue2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 am

There are 3 books in the series Altered Carbon, Broken Angels and Woken Furies. I read them years ago and loved them. I'm looking forward to buying them as they come out on DVD.
kyotebue2

Postby freakinacage » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Nearly finished and thoroughly enjoying so far. if you're going down the Dollhouse route, it's also got Tahmoh Penikett in it
freakinacage

Return to TV Zone