Penny Dreadful

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Penny Dreadful

Postby Bowen » Thu May 01, 2014 7:40 am

Early release for the first episode. It has my attention and a nice replacement for Supernatural and AHS as both have turned to shit.
Bowen

Re: Penny Dreadful

Postby Agent Brown » Sat May 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Watched the first one last night. Good stuff but a bit heavy on setting the scene and mood and not enough on plot and characters. Shame it wasn't a double or feature length episode so they could have some more time to establish them. Main cast was uniformly excellent. I'll be watching the rest.
Agent Brown

Postby geronimo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 pm

Finally started watching this myself. Superb stuff, perfect mood piece for gaslight cthulhu.
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby countersunk81 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:29 am

I started to watch it and then lost interest a bit. Love the setting. Will give it another go as I can sit and watch it properly without waiting for someone else now :D
Watched to the end of AHS Coven - That was not a great season. Heard Freakshow is meant to be better though.
countersunk81

Postby Bagpuss » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Really enjoyed this. Pretty dark in places.
Bagpuss

Postby Levied Troop » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Got the DVD for Christmas, really enjoyed it. Some nice use of the Gothick tropes and suitably dark. Now I need to paint Victorians.
Everybody knows you've been discreet
But there were so many people you just had to meet
Without your clothes, And everybody knows
Levied Troop

Postby andrewbeasley » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:52 pm

Levied Troop wrote:Got the DVD for Christmas, really enjoyed it. Some nice use of the Gothick tropes and suitably dark. Now I need to paint Victorians.

Have a look at the current issues of Wargames Soldiers and Strategy (Issue 76) http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/pw ... est-issue/ as they have a list and sample figures from a whole pile of 28mm suppliers - lots are Steampunk based rather than 'gothic' but the cross over is fine in my mind :D
andrewbeasley

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:12 am

I got the DVD set of this despite misgivings that it might go down the now popular Game of Thrones Sex before Story route, but this time with added Dracula! and it sort of did a bit, on a few of the characters storylines at least, but for the first few seasons it held my interest.
When the Wolfman/Generic Mystical Indian and Lily/Dorian storylines got going the show really lost it IMHO, and the bitter darkie take on Dr. Jekyll, with Frankenstein completely showing him up, completing his potion etc. (like we couldn't possibly have two equally talented mad scientist protagonists :roll: ) was just too much for me.
This show wanted to be League of Extraordinary Gentlemen really badly didn't it?

Good acting, good concept, good costuming and makeup(except for the appalling Wolfman, I know it was a homage, but, good grief, audiences deserve better than that in this day and age!), but they seemed to have absolutely no idea where it was all headed, so it just meandered about getting more and more over the top until I finally lost interest and gave up in disgust...just like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen actually. :(

They mucked up some classic characters and stories, and those they got right (I liked the Frankenstein's Monster character) couldn't shine and were lost amongst all the twisted and confused nonsense storylines going on about them or being inflicted upon them just to try and tie them into the whole tangled mess.

Disney's Once upon a Time with corsets and prostitutes basically.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Return to TV Zone