can't unhear a lie - plaque

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

can't unhear a lie - plaque

Postby CrumbReaper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:14 am

Been meaning to post WIP on this, but having scrapped the first attempt thought I'd get to a stage where I was happy with
the piece.

This is the 3rd in the set of plaques "You Can't Unhear a Lie" (or hear no evil). The face on the left that looks back to
the past is tinged with sadness while the face on the right looking to the future is slightly smiling and represents hope.

The next stage I will sculpt separately and if successful will then put it onto the plaque, a hooded acolyte holding a book
and will be placed in the middle lower part of the plaque so the acolytes head is in front of the pyramid, well below the eye.

CrumbReaper

Re: can't unhear a lie - plaque

Postby andrewbeasley » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:26 pm

Impressed by the shape of faces but not sure it captures 'hear no evil'.

Ok I get the lack of ears infer the aim (once you know the title of the piece) and its great you avoided the 'cover / block the ears' cliché but it's missed the mark for me for some reason. It maybe the faces are divorced from the pyramid and eye but I'm not sure...

It's still light years better than I could do on my best day though!
andrewbeasley

Postby CrumbReaper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:56 pm

andrewbeasley wrote:Impressed by the shape of faces but not sure it captures 'hear no evil'.

Ok I get the lack of ears infer the aim (once you know the title of the piece) and its great you avoided the 'cover / block the ears' cliché but it's missed the mark for me for some reason. It maybe the faces are divorced from the pyramid and eye but I'm not sure...

It's still light years better than I could do on my best day though!

I put this one off until last as the visual idea in my head wasn't grabbing me - so I went with the covering ears and that's what got scrapped.........

there is a cultist reading from a scroll or book to go into the foreground yet which will hopefully tie the elements together but I think idea wise it's
not the strongest of the 3........... but it's the idea I had so I'm going with it - dunno, see how it pans out, but the idea arrived several years ago and
it's not like a different take on it ever popped into my head. Seems to be the way, get the idea, that idea keeps coming back but never alters.
Not been sculpting long enough to find out if ideas change and alter once they go from head to putty mind!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate the honesty of this, it's the only way I can improve not just my sculpting skills but also
the ability to convey the idea in my head into reality so seriously - thanks 8)
CrumbReaper

Postby andrewbeasley » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:29 am

I'll watch with interest. Was not sure of your response given some posts here but glad you took it the way I meant.

Keep at it - I'm loving the posts and looking at your work.
andrewbeasley

Postby CrumbReaper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:05 am

andrewbeasley wrote:I'll watch with interest. Was not sure of your response given some posts here but glad you took it the way I meant.

Keep at it - I'm loving the posts and looking at your work.

It's difficult sometimes to get a tone of voice from a post but I got where you were coming from and I wish more people would throw in
constructive criticism as that's what helps improve or confirms doubts etc about something.

I've got the idea for the cultist sketched out very roughly so I know where I'm trying to go with the sculpting, more updates depending
on call out over the weekend but I'm off Mon and that is booked for "chill n sculpt" 8)
CrumbReaper

Postby CrumbReaper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:12 am

the hooded mechanoid cultist done, little bit of tidy up and the frame to do but near the finish line no,
experimented with the macro setting on the camera but can't see any difference at this focal length (more experimenting required!)

CrumbReaper

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:16 am

Difficult for me to comment meaningfully on the genre, not really having any experience of cult or mythos based gaming (read Lovecraft years ago but never gamed) but the technical work looks very good to me (the chin area on the figure on the left seems a little stressed/granular(?) - may be deliberate to fit in with the looking back in sorrow?).

Much, much better than I can do, so an observation rather than a criticism.

I like the overall effect very much, and the addition of the cultist figure really pulled this together in terms of balance for me. I was a bit unsure with the initial shots, presumably because I hadn't got your internal image of where it was going, and to be honest I thought it a bit 'blah'. Shows you what I know!

Now you've out all the pieces together it is intriguing and slightly (only slightly?) disturbing. Great overall effect.

Thanks for putting these up , it is encouraging me to think about having another go at sculpting.
Bronshtein

Postby CrumbReaper nli » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks for taking time to post that, very good to get some lengthy insight to how others view the work as I'm not not sure for I should evensure post here when it's other "a miniature".

It's a hard decision to post WIP with these as well rather than reveal the whole finished piece as it's not a figure and I don't generally prep sketches etc I expect it's a bit odd seeing it emerged!

Please do have a go at sculpting especially if it was/is something you enjoy. So pleased I took the step from altering GW kits to full sculpts and the main thing is I'm enjoying learning, if I sell some casts great but worth more to me would be inspiring someone else to have a go - as I'm inspired by others
CrumbReaper nli

Postby CrumbReaper nli » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks for taking time to post that, very good to get some lengthy insight to how others view the work as I'm not not sure for I should evensure post here when it's other "a miniature".

It's a hard decision to post WIP with these as well rather than reveal the whole finished piece as it's not a figure and I don't generally prep sketches etc I expect it's a bit odd seeing it emerged!

Please do have a go at sculpting especially if it was/is something you enjoy. So pleased I took the step from altering GW kits to full sculpts and the main thing is I'm enjoying learning, if I sell some casts great but worth more to me would be inspiring someone else to have a go - as I'm inspired by others
CrumbReaper nli

Postby CrumbReaper nli » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:03 pm

CrumbReaper nli

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop