Rough the Magic Dragon

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: Rough the Magic Dragon

Postby CrumbReaper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:52 am

initial skinning seems to have gone off a treat, time I get more putty on it'll be a nice firm mass.

todays job roughing out the legs, prepping spines and more Tree Of Doom too 8)
CrumbReaper

Postby Ace From Outer Space » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:05 am

Cool! Will look out for more pictures.
Ace From Outer Space

Postby CrumbReaper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:00 pm

quick update, done some subtle detailing on the underside of the tail, have a ton of spines curing and started work
on the head............

right side and top view in the gallery - all comments and constructive crits welcomed, I'm on a learning curve!

http://postimg.org/gallery/39nboy1lq/

Going to set up a separate thread for Tree of Doom as it's currently getting put everywhere by me LOL
CrumbReaper

Postby geronimo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Tree's looking great, dragon head is a suitably serpentine start....
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby CrumbReaper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:07 pm

geronimo wrote:Tree's looking great, dragon head is a suitably serpentine start....

Cheers bud, feedback much appreciated, more work on the tree and will start it's own thread later when I take
pics of todays progress, really pleased my first go at multi-part is fitting together so well!!!

I thought the same with the dragon head when I started on with the eyes, it's the bottom lip and jaw extending
outward that stop it just being a snake head........ but I think I've got the eyes about right from side and front
looking perspective for the wide angle view field all gold hunting, dwarf mutilating dracos need 8)
CrumbReaper

Postby Heresy Miniatures » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:02 pm

Dags wrote:Don't dragons take 7 years to make? 0;)

Nah, you can make 'em in two, it's the fucking casting of them en masse that'll kill ya...
Heresy Miniatures

Postby Heresy Miniatures » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Looking good so far, don't do what I did and keep changing your mind about how much muscle mass an area needs, and make sure to work out how it's going to fit together before you get all texturey. Having to make changes for casting purposes or for better fit was my downfall, but mainly because I was doing a certain type of scales that took forever to do. So my top tip would be work out the whole thing to a muscle level, then cut it up so you know where the joins are going to be, then do the skin so that you can work around any inconvenient cuts.

(Oh and watch out for that foam core if you intend to cast it - make sure the caster knows if it'll collapse under pressure or vacuum, etc...)
Heresy Miniatures

Postby CrumbReaper » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:23 pm

Heresy Miniatures wrote:Looking good so far, don't do what I did and keep changing your mind about how much muscle mass an area needs, and make sure to work out how it's going to fit together before you get all texturey. Having to make changes for casting purposes or for better fit was my downfall, but mainly because I was doing a certain type of scales that took forever to do. So my top tip would be work out the whole thing to a muscle level, then cut it up so you know where the joins are going to be, then do the skin so that you can work around any inconvenient cuts.

(Oh and watch out for that foam core if you intend to cast it - make sure the caster knows if it'll collapse under pressure or vacuum, etc...)

Hi Andy, cheers for the input, seriously appreciated and I've been thinking about the foam core after the air bubbles and your comment has cemented
my thoughts on restarting with a more solid core........... and an original design instead of "massively inspired by" the Great Spined Dragon.

I've been slowly learning sculpting for casting with the pieces I've done for Geronimo - his input and feedback has been awesome - I read through your blog on the dragon too
for pointers, again thanks for sharing that and the advice above, all taken onboard, stay tuned for new start soon 8)
CrumbReaper

Postby Heresy Miniatures » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:28 am

Well, if you're doing it for Ian to cast, do him a favour and make the wings folded up and as small as possible!
Heresy Miniatures

Postby freakinacage » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:55 am

Great work so far. Good tips Andy, I started a dragon sculpt a couple of years ago (design was my biggest problem) so the advice is appreciated

Oh and crumb, I made set lengths for the long bones in wire to keep proportions correct and avoid bendy limbs. Bulked out the torso with old sprue and wire and covered with left over gs blobs
freakinacage

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting Workshop