Dragon's Claws

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Dragon's Claws

Postby ubik » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:09 pm

I did Kev White's sculpting course last month and since then I have been focused on making armatures when I have time. This is my first attempt at a sculpt. Dragon from Dragon's claws. Mainly head, weapon and hands to finish. Keen for any constructive feedback.
Thanks
ubik

Re: Dragon's Claws

Postby ubik » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:33 pm

Dragon done
Now working on Zenith
ubik

Postby ubik » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Almost done, just need to add the mask. Face is a bit rough, need to figure out best time to work on features in the cure time
Next up, one of Torquemada's Terminators
ubik

Postby ninja_butler » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi Ubik. :-)
I don't know if you were there on the same day as I was but I was there at Firestorm Games on the Sunday. Looking good so far, but you need to work on faces (my Achilles Heel) to avoid "flat face". Tom Mason just uploaded a new face tutorial on his YouTube channel.
ninja_butler

Postby freakinacage » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:48 am

Where's the chain mail? !
freakinacage

Postby ubik » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks Ninja, where you the guy who turned up with the box of armatures? I was diagonally opposite next to the hangover twins. Will check out those vids, at the moment im focused on churning out as much as I can to get more confidence with green stuff.
No chainmail for a while freak, struggling with plate armour at the moment.
My in progress 2000AD terminators
ubik

Postby countersunk81 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:12 pm

Nice progress ubik! The one on the far right is looking very nice.

The other hangover twin.
countersunk81

Postby ninja_butler » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:06 pm

ubik wrote:Thanks Ninja, where you the guy who turned up with the box of armatures? I was diagonally opposite next to the hangover twins. Will check out those vids, at the moment im focused on churning out as much as I can to get more confidence with green stuff.
No chainmail for a while freak, struggling with plate armour at the moment.
My in progress 2000AD terminators

Yes, that was me. I already stripped half of those armatures and re-did them but I guess that's part of the learning curve. Looks like you're doing well, in fact, annoyingly slightly better than me I think judging by that figure on the right. Faces are killing me, I spent several hours this weekend working on faces and I believe I may have turned a corner - if this one I'm doing right now works out - but god it's hard.
ninja_butler

Postby ubik » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Why arent you guys posting anything? Been experimenting with different approaches for overlapping plates, attempt on left seems too bulky. Tried a different approach on middle. Think helmet on right too small, but happy with hands.
ubik

Postby Inso » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Why aren't we commenting?

Because it is difficult to know where to start when trying to offer constructive criticism to someone who is new to the sculpting game.

Also, slightly larger pictures may help.

That said, I am also just an amateur but I will share what I think may be useful.

I recommend building the body first and getting the pose and proportions right before you even think about adding details. You are trying to run before you can walk and need to focus on the basic frame. What is the good of piling loads of effort into wonderful detail if your basic miniature is poorly posed or has bad proportions?

Look at anatomy. Stare at it... study it... learn how limbs work... learn how muscles attach... learn where the muscle groups are... use all that information to sculpt a figure and then smooth all the bumps out to make it more like a skin covered person than a muscle covered skeleton.

If you have areas you are not confident with (hands, faces, feet etc...) get a bunch of wires together and sculpt lots of them... when you think you are happy, sculpt a lot more.

Looking at the three sculpts, the guy on the right appears to be the best of the bunch (from the small picture). His shoulders need to be a bit broader and his feet a little bigger but apart from that, he doesn't look too bad. I can't tell what his head or the one in his hand looks like so I can't comment further. The guy on the left is the next best but he is suffering from the slim shoulders and small feet issue as well. I can't really tell much more from the picture but his head seems to lack a bit of bulk to the rear (the brain-pan)

The lass in the middle is little more than an armature however, the abdomen / torso area will cause you problems because you have not allowed for any ribs, a waist or hips. If you look at a picture of a naked woman you will see that although it takes time to stop staring at her heaving bossom, there are actually ribs, a waist and hips there too... and you need to take that into account or your sculpt will end up cone shaped with a pair of boobs.

The most basic things that a sculptor needs in his toolkit are:
1. Patience.
2. Practice.
3. More practice.
4. Even more practice.
5. Did I mention practice?
6. Take heed of advice and don't get upset by it. If you think the advice is shit... ignore it! Move on.
7. No sculptor sculpts the same way as everyone else. Find your style (through practice and patience).

Learn to work the putty smoothly, ensuring that you keep your tools lubricated. Work out how much pressure to apply. Learn how much you can sculpt in one go without pushing things in the wrong direction because you are trying to do too much in one go. Experiment with clay shapers (they are great for smoothing putty). Get good at sculpting a figure on an armature BEFORE yo turn it into a miniature. It is good practice and will enable you to understand the anatomy and proportions much better.

For the record, I did exactly as you are doing when I started sculpting 30 years ago... and I got told to work on the foundations before sculpting all the details. I got stroppy but I took heed and now, my end results may be lacklustre but at least the proportions are right :)
Have a look at my blog, it's really full of things: http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

Or, you could always learn about the world of Reptiliad: http://reptiliad.blogspot.co.uk/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/
Inso

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop