Skinning Buildings

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Skinning Buildings

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:55 am

Right chaps, would appreciate some advice and comments before I embark upon a building project.

I am going to be making some buildings, using foamboard. Thing is, I want a stone-built finish which leads me to my question - what's best to skin the foam board with before scribing a stone effect on it?

I am fed up with using ready-mix pollyfilla type materials - it's too brittle and chips very easily. That's pretty much out.

Which leaves me with two options - either car body filler or milliput.

I know milliput will be tough enough. But the thing is that I'll probably use two or three packs worth - and then I'll be left wondering if it might not have just been cheaper and easier to have bought a resin building in the first place. Using milliput is the safe option and one I know will work, but...

What about car body filler? I've never used it before. I'm presuming it's more resilient than pollyfilla, but will it stand up to a few (light) knocks and bumps whilst in transit? Is it easy enough to scribe details into it (although it tends to cure in 15/20 minutes, so I suppose you have to be quick about it and do it in small areas?).

Any other thoughts or ideas?
An Absent Humphrey

Re: Skinning Buildings

Postby geronimo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:59 am

Body filler's got a lot of chalk in it, so works fairly similar to plaster when set - you can carve, sand, and chip at it and get a good stone effect. Definitely stronger than polyfilla, but will be heavier. Near pointless trying to put any detail into it while wet - you'll just drag the material around.
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:50 am

Hmmm...it's going to be milliput, really, isn't it?
I know that will work and I know it will be tough enough.
If anyone does have any other ideas then I'd love to know, and I'm sure others would appreciate the tips as well.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby geronimo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:29 am

I'm currently doing all my stonework with real cut stone, applied to the surface. Laborious, not cheap, but looks fantastic. Probably only a worthwhile route if you're planning on, say, taking moulds and producing something for resin casting.....

Several of my existing back-catalogue buildings (by Alan Simpson, ex-Grendel) are cast from plaster of paris originals. Plaster's great to work with - cast your building/wall, leave to set, chisel/carve/scribe your brick/stonework - but is probably the heaviest and potentially least hardwearing option. Again, great for master models, not so useful for average tabletop....
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Norton C Wongpower » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:35 am

What's wrong with scribing straight into blue foam or wood foam (or whatever it's called?
Norton C Wongpower

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:52 am

I've never been entirely convinced by that.
It is effective when done en masse, but I'm looking at only a couple of buildings so would rather indulge myself and try and do something a little more detailed.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby geronimo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:58 am

|The really anal retentive way to do it with foamboard is to peel one side of the card off and do a full-detail emboss technique like that French guy whose blog was posted on here before. Looks phenomenally good, but is not at all hardwearing. Which brings us back to your original request for making foamcard/board/whatever more hardwearing....

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Etranger2 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Das modelling clay. PVA glue to stick it on. Let it dry and carve away. Cheaper than miliput too.
Etranger2

Postby countersunk81 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Funnily enough I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I'm looking to texture up some section of a board with cobbles. The Fenris stuff would be perfect, only with the amount I need to do would likely be far out of my budget.

Etranger2 wrote:Das modelling clay. PVA glue to stick it on. Let it dry and carve away. Cheaper than miliput too.

I had thought of das - Will it take press-moulding? I was thinking of using one of those icing texture rollers to lay down larger areas, then press in some stone texture and finish off the edges.
countersunk81

Postby Klingsor » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:59 pm

The model railway crowd seem big on using Das air drying clay. Build it, coat it with PVA to seal it and improve the grip then a layer of Days worked in one bit at a time and textured once dry. There is a pretty good book on this sort of thing I must dig out the details on for you, the finished buildings look amazing. Of course model railway buildings do get less handling by idiots.
Klingsor

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop