Female Sculptors?

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Female Sculptors?

Postby Annie » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:01 am

I'm slowly starting to use more and more sculptors for my "Believable Female Miniatures" project, initially it was going to be a few but now I've decided I want loads of different people to pitch in, as it does feel like a great community project, and there's loads of interest from sculptors. I've currently got a few different people working away on different sub projects, and hopefully some more next week.

Until I started this though, I was pretty ignorant to sculptors names. And I still kind of am. Most the ones I know or are using are either people I've seen posting sculpts on facebook Frothers or companies at Trade Shows. Got a couple of the old GW lot on board but had to be explained who they are. I'm guilty of "oh cool model, buy" whereas now I pay way more attention to who painted and sculpted it. Learnding.

Ramble aside, I currently am not in touch with any women sculptors, and I'm sure there must be plenty, seems odd to have a project celebrating gender diversity with all dude sculptors,

so...fire away!

Annie
The Dice Bag Lady
Bad Squiddo Games
www.thedicebaglady.net/female-miniatures
Annie

Re: Female Sculptors?

Postby Lovejoy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:12 am

There's Julie Guthrie in the US, and Trish Carden over here, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Most female sculptors work in the giftware, collectables and model horse markets. I think the 'war' bit of wargames figures puts them off.

*edit - although Jo sculpted the terrain for our last project; she hasn't moved onto sculpting figures yet though...
ImageImageImage
Lovejoy

Postby snuurg » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:17 am

...I am the thing that darkness fears...
snuurg

Postby --- » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:46 am

Sandra Garrity
---
Committee Member

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:23 am

I might open a can of worms here, but I'm going to raise the point anyway - what difference does a sculptor's gender make?
Surely you're after good sculpts, regardless of the gender of the sculptor?
An Absent Humphrey

Postby THE Killer Bob » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:26 am

snuurg wrote:Victoria Lamb http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/

This.
It's happening again...
THE Killer Bob

Postby kawasaki » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:30 am

A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:I might open a can of worms here, but I'm going to raise the point anyway - what difference does a sculptor's gender make?

That.
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby Lovejoy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:51 am

A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:I might open a can of worms here, but I'm going to raise the point anyway - what difference does a sculptor's gender make?

Well:
Annie wrote:...seems odd to have a project celebrating gender diversity with all dude sculptors...

She's got male sculptors on board, now she wants some female ones as well. What's wrong with that?
Lovejoy

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:32 pm

Lovejoy wrote:She's got male sculptors on board, now she wants some female ones as well. What's wrong with that?

Erm...nothing really.
It's not something I care too much about, to be honest; but it would be very easy to misconstrue the motives (which I'm sure are decent).
An Absent Humphrey

Postby OrlandotheTechnicoloured » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Layna Lazar (https://www.facebook.com/LaynaLazar?pnref=story) who is doing a bunch of 3D sculpting for the current Middara KS along with Jon Troy Nickel of Kingdom Death Fame

but

As well as sculpting wargaming stuff probably being a predominantly male affair as the feed in hobby is predominantly male I have the (horrible) feeling that female sculptors may not want to identify themselves as female (at least in public)

in the same way that female SF/F authors had a period of using pseudo names or initials as being obviously female was perceived as bad for business (both in terms of getting contracts from editors and sales from the public)

also since a whole bunch of these sculptors get a start as competiton painters who start sculpting to convert stuff for their painting it would be worth looking for female painters as while they might not sculpt a lot they might be interested given a fairly free hand (not that I can suggest any other names that way as I don't really follow the golden demon/crystal brush scene)
OrlandotheTechnicoloured

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop