15mm sci fi project.

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

15mm sci fi project.

Postby Bergil » Sun May 10, 2015 12:02 am

Right well, never having really recorded my work or kept one of these blog things that seem so popular I figured why not try something like that here to see how it goes? And hopefully get a few people interested along the way.

So I’ve just finished my previous kickstarter and in the process of getting another one set up to try and keep that cash flow flowing. However I’d like to work on an extensive side project, namely my own imagining of not GDI and not NOD from the Command and Conquer game released 20 years ago… Let’s just say it had an effect on an impressionable 9 year old. Much like Star Wars had on you 40-50 somethings out there. :wink:

I’ll be doing it in 15mm as I’ve discovered that it is relatively easy to produce, by doing little bits on armatures I produced between my other work these past two weeks I came up with ten ‘good guy’ armatures;

So I’ve got 10 varied poses which made use of 15mm armatures I’d previously put together http://www.slapminis.com/15mm-armatures-185-p.asp which when cast and copied I can then use the weapons and other items I’ve already produced to then quickly create an entire range of figures;

So for instance I’d like to produce 10 poses using every type of weapon, so ten machine gunners, ten sniper and spotter figs all the way to 10 radio troopers. Although the basic assault rifle armed infantry will probably get 30 figures done in total. So I’d go for a ten man squad mostly aiming, another ten man squad mostly hip firing and a further ten with differing poses, such as throwing a grenade, pointing or motioning to his fellows. This is because I love variety and just attaching helmets, weapons and sculpting the arms and a little bit of armour won’t take much effort. That way every squad in an army with mixed poses and special weapons has the potential to be (almost) entirely unique.

So the game plan;

Sculpt good guy armatures – done!

Sculpt bad guy cannon fodder armatures. These will be the not NOD conscript types. Much more comparable to todays modern forces in look but will probably sport some light armour.

Sculpt bad guy elite armatures. These are the rather scarce but very elite not NOD soldiers. Their armour will look rather sleek for the most part and have that certain evil look to it and would be comparable to the good guys in terms of ability, if not better. Whilst they will use the same weapons as the cannon fodder I’ll most likely add drum mags and such to their kit to show that they mean business!

So like I say from those armatures I’ll get enough cast for me to go to town and get three full armies worth of figs done. However there are other figures I’d like to come up with so I’ll list them here in order of likeliness so I can remind myself of the plan, let alone so that you know what I’m thinking of doing!

Command and base personnel. So a general in uniform and some light clothed guys/gals sporting US style army caps and armed with pistols. Most likely holstered. When I get the copies back of these will put an eyepatch and officers cap on the general, chop off US cap and sculpt berets on the rest to make evil army commander and personnel.

Evil cyborg commando things.

Armoured suit/walkers for good guys. Armed with miniguns and light tank cannons. Should be funky… Will make weapon arms and torso separate, Make several leg poses.

Civvies. Possibly two sets.

So I’d like to get the armoured armatures and everything else listed above in one mold. after everything is sculpted I'll use these 'master' figures to create casts to fill out one mold for each army type and have a massive release. That way I can offer good deals on large armies. Not sure on the exact amount of figures I can put into one mold but I'm sure an expert here would be kind enough to share that with me...

And much later down the line vehicles, possibly when I can afford a bit of autocad 3d goodness. Might have to kickstart the vehicles if the money isn’t there.

With the rate the work Is going I’ll probably have something posted here every two to four weeks if you’re interested in following along. Also if you fancy sharing your thoughts and adding a few ideas please feel free.

Cheers

Stu
Bergil

Re: 15mm sci fi project.

Postby aliensurfer » Sun May 10, 2015 12:31 am

nice mate, like the heads on the sprue there.
aliensurfer

Postby Geckilian » Sun May 10, 2015 1:12 am

Nice work there! I've never gamed in 15mm, but have a bloody massive army for it so will be looking at how this develops with interest.
Geckilian

Postby freakinacage » Sun May 10, 2015 8:34 am

Nice, I'd buy that
freakinacage

Postby Duff » Sun May 10, 2015 4:49 pm

Phwoar, those look like they'd be great to paint. :froth:
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby --- » Sun May 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Yep, those are looking spot on.

I would be tempted though not to do too many poses with the special weapons just for the sake of it. No one is ever likely to need 10 sniper teams (even in 15mm) and if they're enough of a nutter to want 10 they really won't mind a few dupes. I fully understand (and applaud) the idea of having, say, a platoon of individual figures though 8)
---
Committee Member

Postby Ace From Outer Space » Sun May 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Really like these Bergil!
Ace From Outer Space

Postby Bergil » Mon May 11, 2015 1:04 am

aliensurfer wrote:nice mate, like the heads on the sprue there.

What about the other bits and bobs?

Geckilian wrote:Nice work there! I've never gamed in 15mm, but have a bloody massive army for it so will be looking at how this develops with interest.

Oh cool, so what do you currently have in your collection? I do have a psuedo sci fi german army fully painted but never actually got a game in. Aliensurfer started me on the 15mm road but never got round to doing his own army... Typical.

freakinacage wrote:Nice, I'd buy that

I'll hold you to that.

Duff wrote:Phwoar, those look like they'd be great to paint. :froth:

I'll pencil you in as the painter then shall I Duff? :D Hopefully we can dome to some sort of deal...

Dags wrote:Yep, those are looking spot on.

I would be tempted though not to do too many poses with the special weapons just for the sake of it. No one is ever likely to need 10 sniper teams (even in 15mm) and if they're enough of a nutter to want 10 they really won't mind a few dupes. I fully understand (and applaud) the idea of having, say, a platoon of individual figures though 8)

Maybe I should have clarified myself a bit! 5 sniper groups, so 5 spotters and 5 snipers. SO you could have the two kneeling poses as a couple, the running poses as a couple, etc.

However I'm still umming and arring over whether or not to have say just 5 poses per any given special weapon as it would be a bit less work and 10 may just be going a bit overboard. I guess I'll make my mind up once it comes time to make them and I get fed up making arms :D

Ace From Outer Space wrote:Really like these Bergil!

Cheers bud.
Bergil

Postby aliensurfer » Mon May 11, 2015 9:09 am

Yup i like the rest. When is the expected release date?
Regards my 15 mm army, its all ready, just all a dull metal colour.........
aliensurfer

Postby countersunk81 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:26 am

These look ace already, definitely interested.
Hazmat bad guys with toxic sprays?
Bad ass good guy commando / Evil suicide bomber?
Engineer, scientist civvies?
countersunk81

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop