What sticks to what

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

What sticks to what

Postby Paintpig » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:14 am

With so many different putties and sculpting clays is there some sage advice on which adhere or not to which. I know that Fimo wont adhere to metal, green stuff will. I hear that Fimo doesn't bond to hardened GS but will bond if the GS is sill newish. What about milliput and magi sculpt what do and dont they adhere to?
Paintpig
An Alert Humphrey wrote:....a dazzling display of wit! ....funny and pithy. Almost Wildean in its rapier-like wit....
Paintpig

Location: Making records with a mobile we didn't have much time

Re: What sticks to what

Postby mr tough guy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:49 am

I don't think fimo sticks to anything, I'd say it's the greenstuff that sticks to the fimo rather then the other way around.
Image Image
mr tough guy

Re: What sticks to what

Postby Vermis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:07 am

Paintpig wrote:I know that Fimo wont adhere to metal, green stuff will.

Pity a lot of polyclay sculptors bulk their sculpts out with tinfoil, then. :P Although it is scrunched up tight, so there's a lot of texture to grip onto.

I hear that Fimo doesn't bond to hardened GS but will bond if the GS is sill newish.

A bit o' vaseline might help.

http://www.statueforum.com/showpost.php ... ostcount=3

What about milliput and magi sculpt what do and dont they adhere to?

Milliput will stick to fingers, tools, tabletops, carpets, fingers...

Soft, freshly-mixed milliput can sometimes have a bit of trouble wrapping round thin wire. I still use it for skinning armatures anyway, using some care. And that slip I mentioned in the other topic, when the surface dissolves in water to a muddy layer - that'll get yer if too much gets round underneath, on the side you're trying to stick down rather than the side you're pressing with fingers or tools. Otherwise, not too bad.
Magic sculpt can have the same problems, but less so.

Getting a bit of texture or tooth in the surface you want stuff stuck down on will usually help too.
Vermis

Return to Sculpting Workshop