Help with green stuff blends

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: Help with green stuff blends

Postby freakinacage » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:26 am

Vermis wrote:Personally I wouldn't add more than 1/5 - 1/4 milliput to begin with. It can be somewhat overpowering stuff, especially if you want to preserve the feel of the GS. Magic sculp or apoxie sculpt create less of a shift for the same amount, IMO, and as per Freak's advice; though it's not a huge difference.

I stamd corrected, it's been a while since I used milliput in this manner but remember it being quite similar..

As for it going off, I keep a little out a time and freeze the rest. It doesn't take up much room in the freezer, just make sure you label it, I would imagine it tastes foul in a curry...
freakinacage

Postby Vermis » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:35 pm

freakinacage wrote:I stamd corrected, it's been a while since I used milliput in this manner but remember it being quite similar..

Nah, you're okay. They are similar, especially when milliput's fresh and soft, and compared to greenstuff or procreate. Both somewhat claylike rather than chewing gum/blu-tacky.
I like milliput yellow-grey (as do others, like Joaquin Palacios), it's cheap, good when you get the hang of it, and it's pretty strong; but it is kinda coarse, stickier and messier, prone to a bit more problematic 'slip' if you use water, and I usually mix at least a bit of GS with it to help hold it together. Apoxie sculpt (and magic sculp; IMO they're practically interchangable, though others would disagree) are a bit softer, finer-grained, less mucky, with more of a waxy/talc feeling. A bit more user friendly, as a product designed for sculptors rather than plumbers. But a wee bit too soft and transclucent for miniature details IMO, right after mixing, and I usually mix a bit of GS into that too.

TL;DR: magic sculp or apoxie sculpt might be a bit easier for sculpting newbies, if you don't mind the slightly higher cost.

Then there's the other types of milliput, but that's a whole other boring ramble.
Vermis

Postby Paintpig » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:04 am

Vermis wrote:
freakinacage wrote:I stamd corrected, it's been a while since I used milliput in this manner but remember it being quite similar..

Nah, you're okay. They are similar, especially when milliput's fresh and soft, and compared to greenstuff or procreate. Both somewhat claylike rather than chewing gum/blu-tacky.
I like milliput yellow-grey (as do others, like Joaquin Palacios), it's cheap, good when you get the hang of it, and it's pretty strong; but it is kinda coarse, stickier and messier, prone to a bit more problematic 'slip' if you use water, and I usually mix at least a bit of GS with it to help hold it together. Apoxie sculpt (and magic sculp; IMO they're practically interchangable, though others would disagree) are a bit softer, finer-grained, less mucky, with more of a waxy/talc feeling. A bit more user friendly, as a product designed for sculptors rather than plumbers. But a wee bit too soft and transclucent for miniature details IMO, right after mixing, and I usually mix a bit of GS into that too.

TL;DR: magic sculp or apoxie sculpt might be a bit easier for sculpting newbies, if you don't mind the slightly higher cost.

Then there's the other types of milliput, but that's a whole other boring ramble.

Cheers for the advice, I will get my hands on some magic sculpt for a try.

Efforts so far have been dreadful but I'm enjoying having a go, for every dreadful a valuable lesson is being learned. A couple more months of bogus mongoloid like figures and I may have something approaching human form :lol:
Paintpig
An Alert Humphrey wrote:....a dazzling display of wit! ....funny and pithy. Almost Wildean in its rapier-like wit....
Paintpig

Location: Making records with a mobile we didn't have much time

Postby Vermis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Paintpig wrote:A couple more months of bogus mongoloid like figures and I may have something approaching human form :lol:

Using any of these or these? ;)
Vermis

Postby Paintpig » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:42 am

Yep Vermis, did a bit of a google bomb on proportion, anatomy and posing too.... all a matter of practice really and not having too high an expectation, I have lined up a few more conversion pieces which will help keep morale up. :-)

I have down-loaded two sculpting vid's from miniature mentor one by Jacques Alexandre Gillois who's work I'm familiar with and some bloke James Van Schiak who seems to be pretty damn good at green stuff sculpting but I dont know his work. I have only had a quick glance at them so far but they look just right for me, both guys take their time explaining what they are doing and why.
Paintpig
An Alert Humphrey wrote:....a dazzling display of wit! ....funny and pithy. Almost Wildean in its rapier-like wit....
Paintpig

Location: Making records with a mobile we didn't have much time

Previous

Return to Sculpting Workshop