Help with green stuff blends

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Help with green stuff blends

Postby Paintpig » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:39 pm

After my first attempt at green stuffing I think I have got the bug to try some more. I've been reading through the board and I'm a bit confused with blending greenstuff with other putties, what is a workable green stuff blend ratio to give a sand-able file-able putty keeping the properties of GS and with what other product?
Paintpig
An Alert Humphrey wrote:....a dazzling display of wit! ....funny and pithy. Almost Wildean in its rapier-like wit....
Paintpig

Location: Making records with a mobile we didn't have much time

Re: Help with green stuff blends

Postby Inso » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Mix up some standard Milliput and then mix up a similar amount of Green Stuff. Combine the two and that will give you a nice putty that will provide sharp edges and be sandable when set.

Just from my experience and I am sure there are many other mixes.
Have a look at my blog, it's really full of things: http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

Or, you could always learn about the world of Reptiliad: http://reptiliad.blogspot.co.uk/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/
Inso

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:06 pm

That's interesting to know.
I didn't realise you could mix green stuff and miliput. What kind of proportions would be best?
An Absent Humphrey

Postby The Masked Frother » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:19 pm

I think you can mix pro-create as well, I seem to recall a sculptor telling me one time.
The Masked Frother

Postby freakinacage » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:47 pm

I never use gs by itself but mix with magic sculp (you can substitute this for milliput with similar results). ~70:30 gs to magic sculp give you nice blends but keeps it green stuffy. The other way around hardens well and takes to sharper edges as you can cut and file easier
freakinacage

Postby Captain of Ark B. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:50 pm

An Alert Humphrey wrote:That's interesting to know.
I didn't realise you could mix green stuff and miliput. What kind of proportions would be best?

Any, the harder you want, the more Milliput, more flex, more green...

Green and brown go well together, and pro-create can be mixed in too...
Tony Reidy of Frothers, wrote:...pissant little fucktards buzzing around being annoying.
Captain of Ark B.
Committee Member

Postby Stephen May » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Mixing super sculpy/sculpy firm works nicely too.
Stephen May

Postby Paintpig » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks guys, I have some milliput handy so I will give that a try.
Paintpig
An Alert Humphrey wrote:....a dazzling display of wit! ....funny and pithy. Almost Wildean in its rapier-like wit....
Paintpig

Location: Making records with a mobile we didn't have much time

Postby The Masked Frother » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 pm

What is the shelf life of the different putties? I know the two colour strips can go hard along the join, for example. And I've bought milliput in hobby shops before that is almost hardened before you start.
The Masked Frother

Postby Vermis » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:44 am

Humph, Masked F: any putty (or clay) can be mixed together. :) Currently working on something with an odd mix of tamiya quick type, apoxie sculpt, and terracotta milliput.

Personally I wouldn't add more than 1/5 - 1/4 milliput to begin with. It can be somewhat overpowering stuff, especially if you want to preserve the feel of the GS. Magic sculp or apoxie sculpt create less of a shift for the same amount, IMO, and as per Freak's advice; though it's not a huge difference. See here for stuff about mixing GS and apoxie sculpt. Although with the proportions he uses, 'course it's going to affect the GS properties. In that's case I'd say it's more about binding the AS than tweaking the green.

In my experience green stuff is the only one you have to worry about going off. Milliput and apoxie sculpt are definitely easier and better to use fresh (bit of a shock when you finish an old packet and start a new one) and can go a bit stiff and develop a yellow skin after a while, but they're still perfectly usable after mixing. Ditto with old bars brown stuff and that tamiya quick type, that've gone kind of hard. YMMV. There's also (or used to be) a strange problem with magic sculp where one half would crystallise and harden. Happened with mine, but I followed some advice and a bit of heat brought it back to life.
Mixing milliput, magic sculp etc. etc. into GS also counteracts the negative effects of the latter going stale.
Vermis

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop