15mm Sengoku Fantasy sculpts

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

15mm Sengoku Fantasy sculpts

Postby Jakar Nilson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:17 pm

A couple of years back, I sculpted a bunch of 15mm oni (Japanese ogres) for the Gear Krieg setting. Unfortunately, you can't get three sculpts cast up and produced on their own. A few years later, it dawned on me to expand them into a small range of miniatures based off of Japanese folklore. You can find such things in 28mm, just look at Clan War or Bushido. But in 15mm, the only related things are samurai, ninja, warrior monks, everything to do historical sengoku (Japanese Warring States era). So there's clearly a gap to be filled.

Here are the various yokai (being the term for supernatural creatures in Japan, just like the English term "fair folk" encompasses both good creatures like fairies and nymphs and bad creatures such as goblins, giants and so forth)

Note: the two metal figures are a Finnish soldier from Resistant Rooster and a British artilleryman from Skytrex/Old Glory. Both are there to serve as comparative references in 15/18mm.

Oni
As stated above, these oni were sculpted for an alternate WWII setting, and thus do not wear tiger-pelt loincloths or wield maces. They still are horned, fanged and come in red or blue skin.

And a picture just to compare with all the newer sculpts. I also sanded down the blades, to make them more uniform.

Kappa
The iconic water tricksters, who look like a mix between a turtle, a monkey and a frog. Kappas often try to drown passersby, so they have been armed with weapons that allow them to subdue rather than kill outright. A common way to defeat a kappa is to trick it into bowing its head, thus emptying the little bowl on its head and rending it powerless.

Tengu
These bird spirits traditionally wear the garb of the yamabushi hermits. They can be either evil spirits, or wise teachers and weapon smiths. While they have been commonly depicted as men with long noses since the 14th century, the tengu here have more prominently avian features. Incidentally, bird-headed tengu are the basis of the Kenku found in D&D.

Goblins
Creatures that actually resemble our perception of goblins are in fact quite obscure. Ko-oni and jaki (or amanjaku) are referred to as small onis, the latter are usually depicted as being trampled upon by the four Heavenly Kings of Buddhism. In the West, yokai such as the tengu, kappa, bakemono (a grouping of all the really weird creatures) are usually translated as goblin. But fantasy role-playing games do like goblins, so I sculpted some, although the faces are inspired more by famous mangaka than the Kev Adams/Bob Olley school of greenskins. Dressed like brigands and ashigaru, they make great swarms.
Bows

Spears

Mysterious Girls from Another World
How many times in anime has a high school student found themselves in another time or another world, destined to save the day thanks to some new-found power? You know the drill...
"There are those that claim that war is all glory, but I can tell you it is all hell." -William Tecumseh Sherman

http://dp9forum.com/aurora/ Read Alfie's Tenners, every second month in Aurora magazine!
Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Re: 15mm Sengoku Fantasy sculpts

Postby Jakar Nilson » Thu May 01, 2014 6:05 pm

15mm.co.uk has picked up the range and will be selling from the 15th onward!
http://www.15mm.co.uk/collections/sengoku-15mm-japanese-fantasy

Have some sample pics:
"There are those that claim that war is all glory, but I can tell you it is all hell." -William Tecumseh Sherman

http://dp9forum.com/aurora/ Read Alfie's Tenners, every second month in Aurora magazine!
Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Postby andrewbeasley » Thu May 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Congratulations - these look very nice and will make a great collection for SOBH / HOTT / MA / Use Me etc.
andrewbeasley

Postby KingSkin » Thu May 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Fucking lovely. Both the sculpts and PJs are both :froth:
"Not gods, but Englishmen. The next best thing."

Profanity is the crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.

KingSkin

Postby Jakar Nilson » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:15 pm

I've been back at it, sculpting new minis for the Sengoku Fantasy range. While some sculpts are done or almost there, others are still very much works in progress:

Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Postby Jakar Nilson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Some better pictures:
First off, Tsukumogami: Chochinobake, Kasa-Obake, Tuchinoko (flat snake) & Rokurokubi

RPG characters: Miko with heisoku, Miko casting, Martial Artist (made him too tall), Buddhist monk with hat and staff praying, Buddhist monk with staff attacking

Bottoms: Snake bottom 1 (coiled), Human legs/hakama 1, Spider bottom (small), Human legs/hakama 2, Snake bottom 2

Tops: Female torso, armoured, armed with naginata; Female torso, half-armoured, armed with katana; Monster head 1; Male torso, armoured, armed with katana; Male torso, half-armoured, armed with yari

Combination examples, plus sashimono

WIP, mainly focusing on giant spider body and centipede body. The blob will be a bull-like monster head.

Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Postby Jakar Nilson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:44 pm

I've got word that they're working on the molding for the second wave. Given the explosion of ranges that they do (the Ion Age, Loud Ninja Games, Flintlocke, etc.), I guess it's not surprising.

So here are the sculpts of the third wave:
Goblin command: goblin commander with katana, goblin flag bearer, goblin shaman

Goblin cavalry: katanas and bows

Goblin mounts: "goblin mounts" and kutsutsura

Two more Tsukumogami: Boroboroton, Eritategoromo, and a hosta yokai (since there needs to be more evil plant spirits)

Wood cutter, kama-itachi (twin and single versions)

Tanuki: tanuki commander with katana, old tanuki merchant, tanuki shaman
I decided to go with baggy pants, with tail and testicles tucked in. That way they can double as nezumi for those that want so. The overall look is thinner than the modern conception of the tanuki, from some 18th century prints, as well as the actual animal.

Another set of tops: Topless female demon top, unarmoured skeleton with bow, unarmoured skeleton with katana, armoured skeleton with yari

Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Postby Jakar Nilson » Tue May 26, 2015 4:07 pm

Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Postby Jakar Nilson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Finished off the latest wave of sculpts for the 15mm Japanese Sengoku-era fantasy range at http://15mm.co.uk

Nurikabe (wall yokai that also have dog qualities)

Nue (similar to a manticore) and a Baku, a yokai that eats nightmares (with separate elephant and lion head)

Tanuki melee group: with kusari-gama, a shape-shifted/kintama club, and a katana

3 Tanuki with bows

Tsurube Otoshi (a giant monk's head), Wanyudo (a flaming wheel with the head of a monk), and another centipede body (with an upper torso)

3 Inugami (dog yokai) and pup

3 Nekomata (twin-tailed cat yokai) and kitten

Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Postby CrumbReaper » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:41 pm

totally in awe of those 15mm sculpts, I can't get a success at 28mm!!!! What wire are you using for the armatures?
CrumbReaper

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop