Recommendations for a newbie in 3d sculpting

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Recommendations for a newbie in 3d sculpting

Postby Brandlin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm looking for some recommended software for a newbie to try his hand at 3d sculpting.

I have a lot of qmechanical cad experience but never used the more 'artistic' packages.

The only sw I've heard of is z brush. Any good?
http://brandlin.blogspot.com/ - where inspired wargaming and modeling projects come to procrastinate
Brandlin

Postby AndrewGPaul » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:18 pm

I asked on behalf of a friend recently:

Software for 3D modelling?
AndrewGPaul

Postby the_BADSMILE » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:19 pm

yes it's nice. you can also try sculptris (from pixologic too), it's free and works well together with Zbrush.
the_BADSMILE

Postby Przemas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Sculptris will be a good start for sure when you're willing to try organic sculpting.
Then all depends on your budget.
If it's low you can try Silo. Not only you'll be able to do some freeform organic sculpting , but you'll have a chance to learn a lot about subd modelling (which is main focus of Silo).

When you'll decide you're fully into it Zbrush is propably the best choice - in fact it is the main tool in my workshop.

You can also try trial of 3D Coat. Build your base shape in voxel mode (which will ensure you have watertight solid) , then add some details in surface mode.
Przemas

Postby Crusoe the Painter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:16 am

You can also try blender, which has added subdivision sculpting like Zbrush, and sculpting like Sculptris in the latest version.
3d-miniatures.com
Crusoe the Painter

Postby Crusoe the Painter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 am

Info page

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:R ... _Sculpting

The biggest thing going for ZBrush though is the fact you can sculpt complicated, HUGE models on machines with mediocre video cards. What matters most is ram, cpu and disk speed.
3d-miniatures.com
Crusoe the Painter

Postby deadmeat30 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 am

Check out Silo 2, its only ?30 on steam! and has some excellent features!
deadmeat30

Postby mep » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:55 am

Sculptris +1

It's great for newbie pick up and play - there's nearly nothing to worry about.

If you like it, you'll want to make your own base mesh to sculpt detail into for which...

Silo is great, it's intuitive, versatile and quick... BUT... they've stopped updating it. I think they've moved on to more profitable things.

Blender has a steeper learning curve, but it's more powerful, you can be fully legit for absolutely free and it's constantly being updated and improved. Also there are literally loads of tutorials for it.

:)
mep

Postby Przemas » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:36 am

MrApe wrote:
Silo is great, it's intuitive, versatile and quick... BUT... they've stopped updating it. I think they've moved on to more profitable things.

So? It's propably the cheapest modelling tool that's so powerful. And it works - no matter they work on it further or not.

As for Blender - yes , it is free and has lots of features. But note that as many other software on the market it is not aimed at model makers - rather cgi art , gameart, animation. So there's a ton of confusing tools for us, tools that in fact we don't need. I would not recommend it to a beginner. Also I have to admit it haven't "clicked" for me. Somehow I felt I'm running around things when I tried modelling within it.
At the same time a friend of mine likes it quite much, while despising a tool I found really nice and intuitive (Modo). So I think it depends - you'll have to propably try for yourself :) .
Przemas

Postby Ramshackle_Curtis » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:43 am

I have been farting around with some of the 3D programs, most have trials you can use and there are plenty of free ones. I find ZBrush really hard to use, and have been getting on much better with programs that allow you to maniplulate the mesh easily. I look for a program that lets me add, join and delete vertex. Maya seems good but is ridiculously expensive.
I have a free version of hexagon2 from daz 3D which is great, but Im not sure you can get it free any more.

Remember, you dont need to use alot of polygons, as too much detail will simply not show up on the final print/model.
"Opinions are like arse holes, we all have one but no one wants to hear it"

http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/newrel.html
Ramshackle_Curtis

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop