Chainmail...

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Chainmail...

Postby Lovejoy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:08 pm

I just saw this new Forgeworld dwarf... and it looks like the sculptor has used actual chainmail! (or been very clever with lengths of chain, anyway.) :shock: Blew my mind...

Lovejoy

Re: Chainmail...

Postby AKULA » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Lovejoy wrote:I just saw this new Forgeworld dwarf... and it looks like the sculptor has used actual chainmail! (or been very clever with lengths of chain, anyway.) :shock: Blew my mind...

OR he has painted the figures chainmail with metallic paint....there is an identical model to the right that is unpainted....

Something has blown your mind alright....did you leave the top off the glue again?

:wink:
AKULA
Associate Member

Postby Lovejoy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:34 pm

No, that's definitely the master model - it's in this months WD:
'Edgar Skomorowski has been carefully hand-crafting 28mm chainmail to detail each of his miniatures.'
They've got a couple of close ups, and it looks equal parts amazing and insane...
Lovejoy

Postby Captain of Ark B. » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:40 pm

that is very nice :froth:
Tony Reidy of Frothers, wrote:...pissant little fucktards buzzing around being annoying.
Captain of Ark B.
Committee Member

Postby Inso » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:55 pm

It is a shame the rest of the dwarf isn't upto the same standard (the beard is distinctly...average).
Have a look at my blog, it's really full of things: http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

Or, you could always learn about the world of Reptiliad: http://reptiliad.blogspot.co.uk/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/
Inso

Postby redzed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:57 pm

someone should show this to the Gripping Beast sculptors. 0;)
redzed

Postby Morf » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Remember the whole Degra tutorial on chainmail? It was crazy amount of work but it looked great, this looks like a faster method.
Morf

Postby Condottiero » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Morf wrote:Remember the whole Degra tutorial on chainmail? It was crazy amount of work but it looked great, this looks like a faster method.

Would you have a link? Never saw the Degra tutorial...
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby mr tough guy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Condottiero wrote:
Morf wrote:Remember the whole Degra tutorial on chainmail? It was crazy amount of work but it looked great, this looks like a faster method.

Would you have a link? Never saw the Degra tutorial...

http://eskomoro.thrasherkitch.com/degra ... icture=3_2

This one looks great too:

MIKH wrote:
First I've made a kind of heavy leather coat.

Then, I've marked lines on this volume with a fine needle to have the good direction for the links. ( You can also see the start of the next step ).

Next, using a needle a bit round on the top, I "pushed" in one way and then the other the fimo, following the previous lines, to mark the chainmail...

Then, using a fine needle, I started to properly sculpt each ring ( left buttock ).

And then, you've got that!!!!

Everything is in the direction of the wrist, and how you define the volumes with your needle.
I've used this method for the result. I wanted to keep the shape of my first volume, that's why I've chosen the engraving way.

MIKH.
mr tough guy

Postby maxxev » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:34 pm

I wish that figures didn't collapse in the post (due to undercooked fimo) as it's so much better then the Gudrun privateer actually released (no offense to the 2nd sculptor (after the first one couldn't bring himself to start again)).
maxxev

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop